Show Us Your PROJECTS!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
can you put a chunk of aluminum in the printer so you can make something other than toys?

Not with how much this printer cost. There are special filaments that have metals and other material infused in them (wood) but you aren't going to print an intake with it.

ricsrx

Not with how much this printer cost. There are special filaments that have metals and other material infused in them (wood) but you aren't going to print an intake with it.

i was thinking of all the little aluminum brackets i could build for my latest project, of course i could just use my mill...... but the 3D printer would be cool

THSDragoon

I have a new Trooper :D
69811677c0c9aa545d64a825ee2055e2.jpg

Let's see if the pic works, but I've been bored at the hospital for the past 3 hours with 9 to go, so I started sketching ideas for a future buggy/truggy build. My Isuzu will be the Rubber Duck I've talked about before, this buggy will be dubbed the Black Knight. I'm not sure how I want to do it, but I want it to be built from the ground up, either 2 or 4 seats, and have a small truck bed for carrying camping gear.

The idea at the top would be based off a Toyota Tacoma, or the Nissan Frontier, the second one down and to the right is the 2 seat version and I can't decide if the axles should be more "in" towards the center, or more "out" towards the ends of the buggy. Then the bottom one is my favorite so far. In thinking the back axle will be more "in", and the front axle will be more "out".

Ideas and/or suggestions??? :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Nothing too elaborate lately, been doing more mechanical work than fabricating lately. Quick little project I did for my wife. When we were sitting watching a movie on New Year's Eve, she casually mentioned that she wished she had a small end table to put her drink on next to the love seat in the living room. I don't know if it was an actual hint of just a passing thought. Either way I am not going to risk it.

I scrounged through my metal pile and found a few 4' stick of .5" square tubing. I ran to Lowe's and grabbed a couple of 12" tile off their clearance pallet that I though matched our entry way and bathroom tile as close as possible. Turns out it matches quite close and since they are going to be 10+ feet apart, they will work perfect.

This is what I started with.
vzy91c.jpg

Using my miter head horizontal bandsaw to 45 the ends.
wtbts7.jpg

The gauge is pretty accurate. When it is placed on 45-degrees....
33e372q.jpg

It cuts at 45-degrees.
2s6re3s.jpg

In one instance I was a tad long so I had to take a sliver off.
fdrfw9.jpg

And a sliver it was measuring .036" and dead nuts parallel all the way through the cut.
2djzyjb.jpg

All clamped together for tacking.
1zyh5lf.jpg

One of the corner welds.
v74b2r.jpg

I then cut some spacers for placing under the tile for positioning.
2078bkp.jpg

I needed to cut some spacers to space the tile down into the frame so that the top will be flush with the .5" square tubing. The tile measures .3" so I needed a spacer for each side (4 total) measuring .200". I scribed a line and then manually cut them and was able to consistantly be about .010" over is all, just enough to kiss them on the belt sander and debur them.
2cngxap.jpg

Four spacers cut, one already welded in the background to the underside of the framework.
10ehurr.jpg

Close-up.
2ai0i1v.jpg

And top frame perimeter completed with tile test fit.
2d0mhk8.jpg

I wanted a rust/patina look for the table so I used some muriatic acid to etch/clean the metal and then some hydrogen peroxide, vinegar and salt mixed together then spritzed onto the metal while it sat outside in the rain for about half an hour.

Here is the freshly patina'd rust on the table that tool all of about a half hour.
211j8g7.jpg

I lightly wiped it down to remove the loose stuff and here it is after a couple of coats of clear.
2dilxqo.jpg

Completed with the tiles inserted and the rubber/plastic feet on the tubing.
28bsm0m.jpg

I brought it into the house and presented it to my wife. She was pleased.

Chocked myself up some "brownie points".

Mike.

ricsrx

more updates on the rx7

in order to get the exhaust to exit in front of the rear tires i need to put the mufflers inside the car, i will enclose and insulate it
20160206_135748.jpg20160206_135835.jpg20160206_135847.jpg20160206_135441.jpg

Cascadia

Undecided
My in laws are out of town for 10 days in Costa Rica. We should be there but couldn't take our daughter with her heart so we're home. Mother in law has been wanting a shed so I decided to build her a shed and have it double as a playhouse for my boy. The rough part is done. Need to do the siding on it, install a couple windows and roll up door, stairs, and a rail. What you see done took me yesterday and today. I may have gone overboard.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54

Cascadia

Undecided
Thanks guys. Only got to work there a few hours today. Got some interior stuff done upstairs, the 2 Windows installed and the stairs built and in.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    937.7 KB · Views: 32

rholbrook

I see some broken arms in those stairs' future. Nice to see that it's being unsafe like the good ole days. Kids these days don't break enough bones from falling out of stuff like this. Now they get a sprained thumb from the joy sticks. Looks great Tyson. Stoney and Avryl are going to have fun in there.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Here is a table and a table runner I sewed for Christmas.

I am proud of the table runner since it was my first try at quilting, and I was able to learn a new skill. I am not great at it yet, but it was fun.

The table is reclaimed alder with metal legs. It took me less time to make than the table runner :)

Attachments

• IMG_1138.JPG
    IMG_1138.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1140.JPG
    IMG_1140.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1114.JPG
    IMG_1114.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 34