Six month Desert truck report

jgb

We have had the truck almost six months now. I am really happy with it, the ride is awesome. The difference between a long travel set up and a "lift kit" is night and day.

The truck is smooth on the slower rocky trails but still handles the harder hits and whoops at speed with out missing a beat. And yes I have had a bit of air ;)

We have the front optimally tuned for our driving style, the rear is pretty good, though I have not tuned it per se.

The truck was built by Mt. Logan.

Attachments

• truck 1.jpg
    truck 1.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 51
  • truck 2.jpg
    truck 2.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 108
  • truck 3.jpg
    truck 3.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 47
  • truck 5.jpg
    truck 5.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 47
  • truck 6.jpg
    truck 6.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 39

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Wow, old iron for desert racing eh? How loud are the clanks and rattles down the bumpy roads?

Any drivetrain performace mods?

jgb

I bought the truck new in '96 and I must say this is the "quietest" it has ever been. With my old SkyJacker lift it made all sorts of noises, plus shaking the crap out of me.
Though some road noise and some exhaust noise does come up through the bed holes now.

Drive train and misc mods:

I sill have the 8.8
4.10 gears
Rear diff is an agressive Eaton Positraction LS with 18 steel clutches and 800 lb preload springs (standard is 14 carbon fiber clutches and 400 lb preload springs)
Front diff is an Eaton Electric locker
Cat back exhaust enlarged to 3" and Flow Master muffler w/K&N intake

Last edited:

jgb

Thanks.

But I must give credit where credit is due, Mt Logan built it, I just own it.

The front TTB's were "cut and turned" by Camburg and the heimed extended radius arms are also from Camburg.

jsudar

I have truck envy. That looks pretty darn cool.

Couldn't tell from the pics, do you have bypass shocks on the front too?
What rear leaves are you using?

jgb

As far as video, I have to figure out how to go from camera to computer to movie making to posting.....

The rear springs are custom Deavers with Camburg extended shackles.
The front springs are SAW dual rate coil overs with SAW remote reservoirs (not bypasses).