Sixstringsteve's 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Non-Build Thread

sixstringsteve

I finally got some time to put some dirt miles (and street miles) on the Montero.

After 150 miles of mixed city driving, I got 16 mpg. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but that involved a lot of idling, stop and go, and it was pretty loaded up for part of that. We'll see if it improves as I run premium fuel through it.

A lot of people have asked how I like the Montero. I like it, but I'm a little worried about expensive repairs. After the temp gauge and tcase sensor issues, as well as difficulty working on the motor, I have my doubts. If it proves to be as reliable as my toyotas were (which many people claim is a reasonable expectation), then I will be more than thrilled with it.

We went up and over Gold Hill in the Uintas near Whitney reservoir. There were rock gardens with nothing but bowling-ball sized rocks. The montero did awesome, and it was more comfortable than Carlos, my old tacoma. I LOVE it on washboards and bumpy 2-track roads. I need to be careful not to overdo it in whoops and big drainage ditches/bumps for fear of losing all my ground clearance at once. I only scraped bottom once, and only bottomed out twice. I would have bottomed out my tacoma more than that with the way I was driving. I'm not too worried about undercarriage protection. All the important stuff is either tucked way up in there, covered with a factory skid plate, or both. One thing I learned from my last build was just how heavy skids are. When I removed my skid plates and bumpers from my tacoma, I lost at least 250 lbs, and it was noticeable when I drove it. The last thing I want to do is throw on a ton of extra metal on this thing that I don't need.

I bought this rig for the type of driving we did this weekend (3 hour freeway, 3 hour washboards/bumpy rocky roads), and it handled it better than any other rig I've owned. I love it. The ground clearance is decent, but I need to be careful how fast I'm driving over stuff. The stock suspension is great, even when loaded up with 750lbs of gear, and I'd be afraid that putting an OME lift on it would compromise ride quality both on and off road. It's great to drive on the freeway with a slight hint of body roll, but offroad is where it really shines. I love the independent front and rear suspension. Even though the tires stick in about 2" from the edge of the fender, the fenders really do a great job at keeping mud off the exterior. There's tons of room inside, but I've decided to build a platform to keep it better organized. Overall I'm really happy with the rig. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the tcase sensors are easy to fix and diagnose and that the majorly expensive components remain reliable.

A few pics from this weekend.

All loaded up with 3 inflatable kayaks, one inflatable SUP, 5 paddles, a cooler, 5gal water, air compressor, life jackets, stove, 2 action packers, 2 sleeping bags, pads, tent, fishing gear, and recovery gear. It all fit, but I'll be adding some organization to the rig before the next trip. With everything lying on top of each other makes it tough to access stuff on the bottom (like a recovery strap when someone gets their truck stuck in the lake). Video footage of the recovery will be posted in the next 5 months. :)

20140801_171710.jpg

Hanging out with the cool trucks.

20140802_154617.jpg

20140802_154637.jpg

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Here's what's going on with the tcase. The guys over on ExPo are very helpful when it comes to montero stuff.

The first 20 minutes of driving everything is fine. It'll do all 4 tcase modes, and the lights work. After 20 min of driving, the orange center diff lock starts blinking, even when I'm just in 2wd and I haven't touched the tcase lever. I'm not sure if shifting into 4wd is actually working or not at that point. I feel a slight extra load on the engine when I switch to 4 hi, but I'm not sure if the vacuum actuator in the front axle is actually doing anything. If I pull over and stop the car, then restart it, I get another 20 min of trouble-free driving with all lights and modes working, but after 20 min the orange light starts blinking again. It's baffling.

Troop92

Looks like a good time, man! Seems like it can hold a whole lotta gear and get you there in comfort! Hope you figure out the t-case stuff, would be fun to get out on a trail or two with ya.

sixstringsteve

Thanks. I agree, I've been wanting to meet you for quite a while. I think I'm ready for another trip this weekend.

Troop92

Thanks. I agree, I've been wanting to meet you for quite a while. I think I'm ready for another trip this weekend.

I'll see what I can do, though it looks unlikely for a few weekends... I've used a lot of my points up in the past few days - a buddy drowned his Outback 30 miles outside Evanston (up by Bear River Lodge on Hwy 150) and I've been up there most of the weekend helping him bring it back to life! Probably should put in some family time. Night/week wheels are sometimes easier, sadly...

sixstringsteve

I understand. It's not wheeling really, it's 2wd 30 mph dirt roads. A civic could make it up there except for the occasional patch of snow, where 4wd is nice to have.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Steve, the 4wd indicator lights on a lot of the Monteros had issues due to lack of use, some guys have solved it simply by greasing the actuator on the front axle so it slides freely. I can't find the link right now but there is a good writeup online about it.

sixstringsteve

It's the orange center diff lock light that is flashing. It appears to be a different light from the 4wd light. 4wd shows all 4 tires green. this shows everything black except for a blinking orange light in the diff.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I think I will follow this just because one of the guys in the old Rough Wheelers club was called Montero because that is what he drove and loved it.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
That's funny. My kids have all been out wheeling in a month or less after birth. Just get that thing that keeps the head in place, and there are no issues.

Give it another few months and the wife will be on board, but currently she thinks wheeling with our first-born 4-month old is crazy...

Bah, crazy talk, he's my son. It's in his blood. :D

spencevans

Overlander
Seriously. Who would ever want a unibody?

It's not a unibody, it's a monocoupe. Kinda like a formula racer. I a very cool body construction. The suspension rides on a sub-frame and you can even add a body lift. These rigs are extremely capable with some 35's and a lift. Even in stock form it should be able to do most trails with ease. I want one. I want to add a little lift and some 35's like this bad boy. This body kit and lift can still be had from Artic Trucks but it costs a couple grand. It takes a lot to fit 35's. You can fit 33's with just and OME lift and proper backspacing. I am happy for you, I am sure you will enjoy it for years to come. If you need help finding accessories shoot me a pm.

08f209c58c74.jpg

Last edited:

MOODY

Bald Guy
Subscribing...and here is a question: I recall a friend buying one of these new (or nearly new) back in the day. I swear it had some sort of hydraulic or air suspension that raised it up for off road and locker(s). Am I off my rocker?

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Subscribing...and here is a question: I recall a friend buying one of these new (or nearly new) back in the day. I swear it had some sort of hydraulic or air suspension that raised it up for off road and locker(s). Am I off my rocker?

You might be thinking of the factory rear air locker or the in cab adjustable shocks that came on some models, never heard of any feature that raised or lowered the suspension.