Skyline Drive Questions

Redx

I was thinking about driving Skyline drive from top to bottom (and then maybe back) next weekend with my wife and baby, however I am not sure if it is passable in our family car, 2012 Ford Edge Sport AWD, does anyone know if I could make the trip in that car or would I need to go with something that has more ground clearance? I am not set up with my Blazer enough to feel comfortable taking my baby in it yet (mostly worry of overheating) but I finally get some time off and would like to have it spent away from technology.
Please let me know your thoughts on this trip.
Red

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
It's a graded flat road for the most part. If it is wet at all it becomes super nasty slick.
You can do it in my opinion.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
do you have a map you could post to show the route? The Skyline drive I know of is from US-6 all the way south past Mayfield UT. It would be passable, but it would be scary in super wet conditions by yourself in a AWD Car.

sixstringsteve

I was up there on Saturday. From highway 6 to 31, it's all graded gravel and a honda civic could make it. South of 31 it's not as well graded and there are a few spots with 6-12" deep ruts and potholes. X2 about the mud being extremely slick in the rain. It doesn't take much rain to turn that place into an ice rink.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
I was thinking of going from route 6 to I-70 as shown on this map ( http://www.utah.com/art/maps/offroad/skylinemap.pdf ) which is probably the easiest one to see it on, but I have a topo map and GPS I will be using on the drive.

Yep that's the route I was thinking of, in my opinion YES that is definitely passable in an AWD... you should make sure you are watching the weather though very carefully because snow, sleet and/or rain will make it impassable in an AWD. My suggestion would be to go with a minimum of two vehicles and I def recommend an SUV or Truck with minimum of 28" tires.

I'm routing for you and hope that you do plan that trip cause its a totally awesome road... lots of really cool places to check out too!

Redx

Well we decided better safe than sorry and decided not to do Skyline drive this weekend and stick to pavement in the Edge:(
We decided to take a long road trip instead and because of that I have found many different trails to try once my Blazer is on the road. Doing a big loop, Herriman, Mirror Lake, Flaming Gorge, Escalante, St. George, and then back home to Herriman. So many forestry roads up north so far I think I might have to try spending a month up there. Even though we are hitting pavement I think I will post up in trip reports when I get home.
Thank you guys for all your help and input, I feel as though I might have been stuck in the wilderness with out it.