Sleeping pad???

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
After spending last week in a tent in Moab, I've decided its time for a better pad to sleep on. I don't care if its considered a "backpacking" pad or not, but compactability will be considered. I want something larger and thicker than my current Thermarest that is only like an inch or inch and a half thick. It will be used primarily in a tent, whats good?

sixstringsteve

Thermarest Dreamtime. It doesn't roll up as small as your current pad, but it's not huge. I have two, and when we have guests stay at our house they choose to sleep on these instead of our guest beds. It's more comfortable than my mattress at home.

jentzschman

Thermarest Dreamtime. It doesn't roll up as small as your current pad, but it's not huge. I have two, and when we have guests stay at our house they choose to sleep on these instead of our guest beds. It's more comfortable than my mattress at home.

I have seen and laid on this "mat". It is awesome.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars

Know how I know your mattresses suck? ;)

Seriously, this sounds like an awesome sleeping pad.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I just bought a Klymit static V. I have only slept on it one night on my floor in the house, but it is a huge improvement over my old Thermarest. They are based in Ogden and are cheap too! I paid $45 on Ebay for mine.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member

I will second this, I have probably 10 different sleeping pads and the Dreamtimes are top of the food chain. I can get a full night sleep on mine, its the only one that i can say that about. This includes some pretty spendy mats that are twice as big and heavy. I would say second would be the Thermarest Xtherm , I would say I get about 75% of the quality sleep on the Xtherm as I do on the Dreamtime but the dreamtime is warmer and well worth the money, I have never regretted the money I spent on them.

I just bought a Klymit static V. I have only slept on it one night on my floor in the house, but it is a huge improvement over my old Thermarest. They are based in Ogden and are cheap too! I paid $45 on Ebay for mine.

That is pretty cheap, I think I paid that much for their new Pillow X.

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I bought an Exped MegaMat after searching the internets and ExPo for suggestions. I am not disappointed. It has a super high "R" value if that is important to you and is 3" when inflated. Its really comfortable.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ

We have a pair of the Dreamtime XL pads and they are the best $450 we ever spent on camping gear.

ozzy702

I've seen the Thermarest luxurymaps on steep and cheep lately for pretty cheap and they are similar to the dreamtimes but a little less thick. Still super insulated and comfy.

The wife and I have some alps summit set for car camping and they are comfy but certainly don't pack down small and are heavy. I think I paid about $80 for both with a 40% off coupon.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/al...terString=sleeping-pads~d~210/&colorFamily=02

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Has anyone used Thermarest's cots? I was just browsing their site and watched the video for it, seems like an interesting idea.

sixstringsteve

If I remember, they were built by another company, and Thermarest bought them out. It might be easier to find info/reviews on the product under the older name (which escapes me at the moment).

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Has anyone used Thermarest's cots? I was just browsing their site and watched the video for it, seems like an interesting idea.

I have laid in them, but never slept in them. They seemed okay, but I don't like cots so I might be a bad judge.

DAA

I haven't had the chance. But they do look interesting - certainly different. Will have to keep my eyes open for a chance to wallow around on one and see what I think.

I've just been using cheap cots from Walmart (with a Cabelas pad). But they only last me about three or four years each. It's obviously a huge personal preference thing, not for everyone, but for me a cot is really the only way to go.

- DAA

93TJ

I also had a hard time finding a pad that was comfortable. I needed something for backpacking, so small and light were huge priorities. But comfort was the top priority. I found that a combination of two pads works best for me. I use a therm-a-rest prolite placed under a therm-a-rest z lite pad. Now I can actually sleep on camping trips.

sixstringsteve

I'm all for a light pack weight, but its pretty pointless if you can't be comfortable. Congrats on finding a solution that allows you to sleep through the night.