Slipping lock right

teamwestoutdoor

All Locked up
My lock right Locker in my Dana 30 isn't catching on my driver's side axle. it just skips around grabbing every now and again then slips some more. I assume my springs are weak so I want to replace them. I have been told that it's a " pain in the a$$" to do so. Anyone have any experiences in this that can give me some pointers?
I know I should upgrade to an ARB or a Detroit, and some day I will, but at this time unless anyone has a free one they are willing to part with I need to just fix my junk for as little as I can and get back on the trail. :confused:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
It's a PITA, but that said, I've been involved in swapping out the springs and pins in a Lockrite at a competition rock crawl, between obstacles. With several hands involved, it took no more than 15 min or so. I don't see why it couldn't be done in a garage over a couple hours, with the help of a buddy.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
When you open it up to do the springs, pay VERY close attention to the teeth on the locker... If it's been acting up for a while, there is a good chance that the teeth are rounded enough that the new springs won't do the trick... If that's the case, you may be upgrading sooner than planned.;)

Good luck!

If it helps, I'd bet you could post pics here of the locker before dis assembly (closeups of the teeth) and we could determine whether it is usable or not before you even tear the springs out...

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If the teeth are rounded a bit, you might get a little more life out of them by putting the locker back in backward--so the pressure is on the other (non-rounded) side of the teeth.

teamwestoutdoor

All Locked up
When you open it up to do the springs, pay VERY close attention to the teeth on the locker... If it's been acting up for a while, there is a good chance that the teeth are rounded enough that the new springs won't do the trick... If that's the case, you may be upgrading sooner than planned.;)

Good luck!

If it helps, I'd bet you could post pics here of the locker before dis assembly (closeups of the teeth) and we could determine whether it is usable or not before you even tear the springs out...

I will post some photos for everyone's opinion on what steps to take. I ordered a new spring and pin kit from Amazon last night and it's already here, now that's service! I will work on it tonight and keep you all posted.

v-stone

I just reinstalled a lockrite in a dana 44 and it went real smooth. I put a little bit of grease on the springs (suggestion from another site) and used a small flat screw driver to help put the springs in. Took about 1/2 hour to completely install into the carrier once everything was cleaned up.

Hope that helps

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Why do you say the spartan is better? I looked at them when they came out and they look and function the same as far as i could tell. :confused:

You must not be looking at a Spartan, because they don't look the same. Yes, they are both lunchbox lockers and yes, they both of drivers with 'teeth', and yes they both have pins and springs, but that's about the end of the similarites.

The numbers aren't in yet, but I believe I've sold the most Spartan's out of all of Yukon dealers this year and none of which have yet to fail. Yukon has also never had one failure. Even the prototypes are still running great and with big tire/horsepower combos.

Everyone that runs one loves them. And those that have moved over from damaged Lockrights, say they are quieter, lock/unlock faster and are MUCH easier to install.

So experience and feedback leads me to believe it's a far superior product and at a cheaper cost. Being completely made in the USA is pretty cool, too :cool:

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Wow im glad to hear that i looked and looked when they first came out for this kind of feed back, they are cheaper than lockrights on average too. Well if my lockright ever breaks i will call you for a spartan

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Wow im glad to hear that i looked and looked when they first came out for this kind of feed back, they are cheaper than lockrights on average too. Well if my lockright ever breaks i will call you for a spartan

They are still pretty new, so not much info out there. Especially if you are looking for people with experience with them.

Something else, too, I've yet to sell a replacement spring/pin kit. The only reason the kit's were even made available is because I had a customer loose a couple of springs and wanted to buy more - not that they failed.

The pins are much larger than the Lockright's and the springs fit inside the pins, reverse of the Lockright. Spartan's also come with a new cross shaft.

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
I have Aussie's front and rear. I love em and always heard good things. "They say" its "better" than Lock Right. I've never had any issues with mine. . . . yet:D Also way cheaper (when I got em anyway)

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Yeah the aussies are sweet and i have read nothing but good reviews on them, but now they are more expensive, they used to be almost 50 bucks cheaper when they came out.
I think i will try both as time goes one, i still need one for the front and if the lockright breaks then ill replace that