slow down this winter

lostsamurai

FnZuKiN24/7
i spent a few hours yesterday helping people out of there rolled over cars and truck in big cotton wood canyon after a day of snowboarding on the way up my buddys jeep lost control we got in a 360 and almost went over the edge , on the way down we found an 06 tacoma in the river in that very same spot, we were taking the owner and his wife up the hill to the sherrif and came accross another roll over 06 subaru outback they were a little beat up, the sherriff arived and helped everyone out, on the way back down we were passed several times by idiot risking their lives and others even the rescue crew trucks where speedind up the canyon to help very scary day for everyone thanks

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I think UT might have a very high number per capita of retarded drivers. The accident level in bad weather here is outstanding!

Houndoc

Don't think Utah has the monopoly in that regard. I remember a drive between Laramie and Fort Collins in a early spring snow/ice storm. I-80 between Laramie and Cheyenne was closed and to be honest I was surprised the highway into Fort Collins was still open (shouldn't have been).

Anyway, only a few miles out of Laramie a red XJ come flying past everyone. Happily I soon find him chating with a highway patrol, light all a flashing. However, it doesnt take long for him to come flying past me again.

Not long after a Chevy short bed p.u. also goes along passing the rest of us (the smart ones going, 15 mph or so).

The next time I see the Chevy, he is upside down in the middle of the highway, having missed a turn, headed uphill into an embankment and rolled back onto the road. Several others had stopped to assist, so I kept on driving. The driver was standing, looking sadly at his rig. Obviously uninjured.

Another 10 miles or so along the way, I find Mr XJ about 30 feet off the road, stuck in the snow. Feeling sorry even for idiots, I stop and offer him aride into town. He declines, having been infromed that a tow truck was a mile or so down the road pulling someone else back onto the road. He asked me stop and ask the operator to come get him when he is done.

So I continue down the ice track, find the tow truck and stop. I tell him about the Jeep, but find out the tow truck had broken down and was waiting for another truck to come pull him back to Fort Collins. The road was dangerous enough there was no way I was going to drive back up to tell the idiot.

I still wonder how long he sat there, thinking help was on the way (and probably cursing me, thinking I failed to deliever the message :rolleyes: )

Was about the worst drive I have ever had (made worse by my thinking since it was late March I would not need my chains I had left them home. Bad move), but at least I had the satisfaction of seeing truly stupid drivers get their reward.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
My dad flopped the family tow rig saturday. He was doing around 15 MPH on a snowpacked Dirt road, and lost in in a turn. He tried to steer out of it, and ended up going down a hill sideways, and hiting two sage brush bushes almost perfectly spaced to the wheelbase of the dodge that put him over.
Mom and Dad both ok, shaken, but not stirred.
I'm pretty sure the truck willbe totalled, but Dad says he's going to have it rebuilt anyway.
Before anybody asks, if he scraps it, its mine so don't bother.

92XJeeper

I think UT might have a very high number per capita of retarded drivers. The accident level in bad weather here is outstanding!
Most definitely true!

Heck, snowy weather isn't needed to blame for traffic accidents in Utah. I'm amazed at the number of roll-overs during summer on I-15 and 215.

WJL

Moving from Wisconsin, no road is idiot proof. I will say the drivers in Utah have to be up there for driving too fast for conditions and not having the proper snow eqipment for winter driving.
Example: North ogden divide and powder mountain road, too may young kids without winter driving knowlege driving these roads. 90% of the time you can not stop to help because you then become stuck and become a problem yourself.
Why do the people not follow the signs Winter tires, chains or 4x4s required. All it would take is one officer on a weekend to issue warrning or tickets and people would get the idea,mabey.

StrobeNGH

no user title
Yeah, Utahns are a bit over-agressive when it's slippery out . . . but Pittsburghers are the antithesis.

Here, if there is a HINT of a "major" snowstorm (2-5 inches) people FLOOD the supermarkets and clear out the shelves (I'm not even kidding, I've learned to NEVER shop before a storm), and when the roads are wet and/or snow covered, forget about it . . . people ALL go 5-10 mph, regardless of the road's condition.
The road can be perfectly dry, but it won't matter . . . the news said to drive carefully, and dangit, that's what they will do!

In defense of people out here, there is occasionally freezing rain . . . that makes driving miserable.

The point: at least you get good stories from the idiot Utah drivers . . .

shortstraw8

My sister is one of those retards, I think it was four years or so ago she bought a rodeo I don't know if most people think 4wheel drives can stop on ice but long story short she caused a 6 car pile up (no one was hurt luckily). But some people think that suv/4wheel drive means unstoppable Im actually scared to drive my cj7 on 35's cause of people like this.