Small SUVs for backcountry travel?

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
It took some shopping for me to find mine. I found a nice one and had to buy it in the same day or it would have been gone. They are getting more popular.
The only one I have found so far was in Beaverton, OR. It's gone already.

I want 4 cyl, and a 5 speed trans.

spencevans

Overlander
KJ CRD. I miss it everyday, went everywhere I wanted to go and had plenty of power to rescue those who shouldn't have gone.

Real t case, gobs of torque and turbodiesel awesomeness.... the ultimate Jeep.

I had a little 2005 KJ CRD. I had all the goodies like the front and rear offroad bumpers, sliders, 3" Frankenlift, Etc. It was a very fun little rig and it consistently got 26-27mpg. It was a very capable offroad rig. My main complaints were build quality, chryslers customer service, and it did not have a manual to back up that little diesel.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Bringing an old dead horse out of retirement.

School me on Liberty CRD's, seems like a handful of owners have traded in due to the difference in gas and diesel prices. May not be the reason but I haven't seen this many CRD's for sale and it might be worth jumping one while they are available. I'm intrigued by the CRD looking for something small, diesel rules and would like a true tcase, I worry that Chrysler built these though especially in this era

Last edited:

CobraNutt

Bringing an old dead horse out of retirement.

School me on Liberty CRD's, seems like a handful of owners have traded in due to the difference in gas and diesel prices. May not be the reason but I haven't seen this many CRD's for sale and it might be worth jumping one while they are available. I'm intrigued by the CRD looking for something small, diesel rules and would like a true tcase, I worry that Chrysler built these though especially in this era
Lots of info on the CRD's over on LOST. Great little rigs...once you get the little things taken care of. I don't know all the in's and out's, but it seems they are a bit more maintenance hungry than their gas counterparts...seems like cooling/thermostat tend to be a popular discussion point...butI know a few people that LOVE em! I like my '04 Renegade, and will like it a LOT more once I get my lift installed to keep me from dragging bottom on the trails. Quite capable little rigs that get overlooked, especially in the aftermarket world.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
If I had to use something small. I'd try a new Jeep Patriot. I rented one recently. It had a 6 speed auto and 4wd, no low range. It was actually pretty fun. Although I didn't use it off road at all. The back was pretty roomy. I think if it was just me and my wife it would be good enough. It got really good gas mileage as well. (compared to my disco and F350)

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
The Patriot has one of those French rubber band transmissions though.

Not always, at least not anymore. Starting with the 2014 model year, the FWD and "Freedom Drive I" models ditched their CVT and now use a traditional 6-speed automatic. As you might have guessed, this has improved the driving experience tremendously.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I'm wondering how the new Jeep Renegade is going to be, read you can pick up a new one with manual trans for under $20k. It's supposed to be based off the Fiat Panda.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
read you can pick up a new one with manual trans for under $20k.

The U.S. Renegade will offer two powertrains: 1.4L turbo with 6-speed manual, or 2.4L with 9-spd automatic. The base FWD model is supposed to start at $17,995 though that does not include A/C (among many other things).

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Last edited:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
The patriot i rented had a 6 speed auto, 4 banger, and 4wd. I don't remember what package it had on it. It had power windows and heated seats. No power seats.

Pretty quick. I be with some good suspension it would be a great rally car.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I must say, I bought my son a Subaru Forester when he came home from his mission last month and I now am looking for one for me. I used to have a legacy outback and I couldn't believe where I could go in that, I think the Forester would walk allover the Outback. I will have to take it out to play to see, but I think with a good set of all terrain tires it will do well.