Small SUVs for backcountry travel?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
My wife and I used to make fun of the Honda Element to no end. If LEGO built a car... :rofl: We bumped into a couple touring the Oregon coast and they let us check theirs out. They are the best example of not judging a book by its cover ever haha. Seriously next time you get a chance peek inside and see for yourself. I wish someone would make something similar on a more rugged drivetrain.

A pop top would be cool: http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com

Again not a 'rugged' backcountry 4x4 but like that couple for example touring down the coastal highway would be a lot of fun and practical. So long as you're not easily embarrassed by its looks :D

Houndoc

It was the basic waggon. They did not add the terms "loyale" or anything else until the next body style a couple years later.

Subaru choices then were the waggon, 2 door hatch back, sedan or the Brat (I would love to find a restored Brat, by the way.)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
The problem with Jeep is, with few exceptions, the engines suck. I had trouble taking a $30K+ offroad juggernaut seriously when it had a mini van motor in it. As an expedition vehicle, I can't imagine the soul-sucking experience it must be driving hours on graded roads with a solid axle.

For the record, on anything more than a graded road or mildly rocky road (roads you have to slow down below, say 15-20 mph), my ZJ was a noticeably more comfortable ride. On anything graded and highspeed, the Tacoma wins hands down. I think my control arms bottom out though on the taco

UVRUGBY

For the record, on anything more than a graded road or mildly rocky road (roads you have to slow down below, say 15-20 mph), my ZJ was a noticeably more comfortable ride. On anything graded and highspeed, the Tacoma wins hands down. I think my control arms bottom out though on the taco

Change out your front bump stops for shorter bump stops and you will gain more travel.

UVRUGBY

Lol, that is always a small problem. But there is plenty of up travel you could get out of the ifs with a smaller then OEM bump stop. Like I'm planning on going to a 3/8 bump stop on my ifs.

sixstringsteve

gahi

P1040327_zpsd25fb7da.jpg

I'm surprised at how well it does. AWD 5 spd trans, CDL, limited slip rear. I can go way faster over rough roads then in my cruiser without feeling like its shaking the thing apart.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I've heard some of them had tranny issues. I had a buddy with 60k on his, and he went through 3 trannies. Some years are better than others. Good luck!

airmanwilliams

I'm trying to find one of these right now. They're worth their weight in gold!!! :eek:

meh just go with the sidekick:D You can get some 4door ones super cheap on ksl. Didnt know this about the honda crv first and second gens until a week ago when we sold one but the rear cargo area has a pull out cooler/tray thing that you can put ice in with all your food and drinks and the cover is a table with fold out legs,AWESOME!

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I'm trying to find one of these right now. They're worth their weight in gold!!! :eek:

It took some shopping for me to find mine. I found a nice one and had to buy it in the same day or it would have been gone. They are getting more popular.