Small trucks - tell me what you know!

Moabxjeeper

I have a friend who is on a pretty tight budget (<$6000) and looking for a small truck that gets great gas mileage. By "small truck" think Ford Ranger, Toyota Tacoma, Chevy S-10, etc.

I've only ever had experience with larger trucks and don't know much about these. What models are reliable? Are there certain years or different things to look for?

And don't think he's only looking for the ones I mentioned. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Fwiw I had a 2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with the 4cylinder (3RZ-FE) engine and a five speed. Mid 20's for fuel milage and very well built/reliable.

skeptic

I don't think any of them get "great" gas mileage, unless you consider low to mid 20's great. Beyond that, I think they are all fairly reliable. About the only specific I'd highly recommend is to get an extended cab version. A pick-up with essentially no usable space behind the seat can be a PITA. We have a 2wd (yuck) '96 Ford Ranger extended cab with 4.0 V6. I probably would have bought a 4wd S-10 as I'm more of a GM guy, but it was given to us and after catching up on a ton of deferred maintenance it's been great. On second thought, in addition to an extended cab I'll add V6 to the list of things to look for. MPG shouldn't take much of a hit, but the extra grunt is nice.

sixstringsteve

if going toyota, avoid the 1989-1995 v6 pickup. In 1995.5, they changed to "tacoma" models, and had much better engines.

Last edited:

LJENS

My 99 zr2 s10 gets between 14-18 mpgs, it's pretty good off road, the 4.3 with the 5 speed is a reliable drive train in my opinion. The motor is a good little workhorse, and I do mean little. It's no powerhouse, but it gets the job done and lasts if treated well. If not treated well, it will die. I pulled a 3500 pound trailer from Provo to Logan last summer, going as fast as I could up the canyon, and ultimately ended the life of that particular motor. But all in all, I think the s10 is a great compromise of budget and versatility.

skeptic

I'd like to know how the Canyon/ Colorado models are?

IMHO, very good. However, without looking into the prices I'm guessing they are going to be above the $6k budget for anything that's not salvage title or run into the ground.

sixstringsteve

a 2wd tacoma with a 4cyl and a 5-speed would be my recommendation. These little trucks are bulletproof, easy to work on, and just keep on going.

This little video can never be over-shared. ;)

[video=youtube;xnWKz7Cthkk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk[/video]

Moabxjeeper

How much truck? Could he get away with a great mileage compact SUV and a truck bed trailer?

I mentioned that to him as well as there are many smaller SUV's out there that would probably fit the bill. The real problem is storage. He is moving to a townhouse so there's really nowhere to put a trailer.

Houndoc

I'd like to know how the Canyon/ Colorado models are?

My father in law has a 2wd Colorado crew cab. We have borrowed it a few times when one of our vehicles has been under the weather and it seems like a pretty good little vehicle. Honestly not sure what MPG we have gotten.

One thing to the thread in general, keep in mind that the extended cab versions of any small trucks even with seats are small enough kids quickly out grow them. Full crew cab if hauling more than two people seems like the only logical thing to do.

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
A ford ranger. Mine got low to mid 20s and was super inexpensive to buy. Besides parts are even more plentiful the the s10. And way cheaper then the Toyota .

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Pretty reliable, or at least mine was, but at high miles they get a timing chain rattle and the chain is supposed to be a beeyotch to replace. I took mine from 40k to 220k with just oil changes and a bad thermostat.

Are Rangers still cheap to pick up? I thought the market was through the roof on those.

I haven't checked lately, but they were cheap when I picked up mine a few years back. Great beater vehicle for the teenagers to drive. Parts are plentiful and cheap. 4.0 is a pig (not great mileage, gutless), but dead reliable.