Small trucks - tell me what you know!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Pretty reliable, or at least mine was, but at high miles they get a timing chain rattle and the chain is supposed to be a beeyotch to replace. I took mine from 40k to 220k with just oil changes and a bad thermostat.

Are Rangers still cheap to pick up? I thought the market was through the roof on those.

I've seen a few Rangers for reasonable prices but Explorers are UBER cheap

I haven't checked lately, but they were cheap when I picked up mine a few years back. Great beater vehicle for the teenagers to drive. Parts are plentiful and cheap. 4.0 is a pig (not great mileage, gutless), but dead reliable.

That's exactly what I was observing for a teenager hoopty mobile. I can't imagine a solid axle swap for an Explorer would be difficult at all (not sure I want to go there but it has crossed my mind)

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have had many rangers and two explorers. My 16year old just got a 93 ranger lifted in pretty good shape for $2k. The explorers are super cheap.
The 4.0 OHV is dead reliable but weaker and less efficient than the 4.0 OHC. The good is you can pick up a ranger, then get an explorer of the same year as a parts pig for around a grand.

jentzschman

a 2wd tacoma with a 4cyl and a 5-speed would be my recommendation. These little trucks are bulletproof, easy to work on, and just keep on going.

This little video can never be over-shared. ;)

[video=youtube;xnWKz7Cthkk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk[/video]

Unbelievable that seawater and the fire did not kill that thing. I vote Toyota for sure.

joshbmx1201

UAV MECHANIC
x2. have had great luck with rangers. not sure about in utah but in california you can find them pretty cheap (under 5k) but they sell in one day. i have had 2 or 3 sell while i was on my way to go look at them.

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
I've seen a few Rangers for reasonable prices but Explorers are UBER cheap

That's exactly what I was observing for a teenager hoopty mobile. I can't imagine a solid axle swap for an Explorer would be difficult at all (not sure I want to go there but it has crossed my mind)
im doing one now on my broncoii. Explorers, Rangers, and broncoIIs are all RBVs. (Ranger based vehicles) so parts are uber plentiful and cheap.
toyotas are great vehicles, but to expensive.

Moabxjeeper

Well my friend I was asking for ended up getting a 72 VW Beetle.. and almost made it home before it broke.

Some people just don't listen to they? :rolleyes:

Toad

I'd like to know how the Canyon/ Colorado models are?

They suck to work on. I have seen several motor failures. CV half shafts that pass through the oil pan. Captured brake rotors. Not a huge deal by any means but why go backwards that was used in the early 90s on 3/4 tons. Just lots of little things that would drive me nuts. I think the S10 with the 4.3 is a far better truck.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Has anyone ever seen a US toyota pickup with a factory diesel engine? I've heard rumor of them, but never seen one. Are they actually around? Not as powerful as a 20 or 22R I assume, so nobody wants them? Wonder what the mileage in those things is...

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Has anyone ever seen a US toyota pickup with a factory diesel engine? I've heard rumor of them, but never seen one. Are they actually around? Not as powerful as a 20 or 22R I assume, so nobody wants them? Wonder what the mileage in those things is...
Late 70's early 80's if you're looking for a diesel option. I think they stopped offering it before 1985. I had a Chevrolet LUV diesel 4x4 (Isuzu p'up) and got about 34mpg.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
So this followed me home today. It cough 'needs' cough new tires, and if I'm buying new tires, they might as well be bigger.. so it 'needs' a lift to hold the bigger tires. Lift kits range any where form a $69 shackle and torsion bar crank lift, to $1800 full bracket systems. In reality anything more than the $200-$300 would raise flags with my wife.. so I am looking to the cheap side. does anybody have experience with lifts on these? (same as the H3, as I understand) What is recommended?

IMG_4141[1].JPGIMG_4124[1].JPG

Houndoc

Spent the last two weeks in Fiji (volunteer work, not playing) and am again jealous of the vehicles other countries get!

Crew cab, diesel Ford Ranger, very nice diesel Toyota Hilux. Many cool small trucks.