Snakes' Run July 4th

iconwill

ROXX N ROLLER
Several of us ran the Snakes' today. Sherpa led the the group that consisted of SixStringSteve and his wife and sone, NYCEGuy01, Utekrawler and his buddy. We all had a great time, but the highlight of the trip was SixStringSteve's son conquered Wally's World. I hope I can figure out how to post video. Suggestions?

sixstringsteve

actually, I wasn't there, and I don't have a son. But I wish I had a son and I wish I had been there. :D

You're probably talking about ricsrx. You can mistake me for him any day.

ricsrx

Sorry Will, we got our names mixed up, it was my self, Rick, my wife Theresa and my son Hunter and his buddy Brian in his crawler.

thanks for letting me spot you on constrictor, I know it gets alittle crazy when ya start getting sideways in an obstical.

To all of you for getting this set up so we could tag along.
it was cool to see Hunter make it up WW for his first time, even thou it took a couple of tries to find the right line.
we got a couple of pics of Hunter

102_0558.jpg

102_0560.jpg

102_0561.jpg

102_0563.jpg

102_0565.jpg

102_0566.jpg

102_0567.jpg

102_0568.jpg

102_0569.jpg

102_0570.jpg

102_0572.jpg

102_0573.jpg

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

nice pics hunter! I'm jealous, I still haven't made it up wayne's world yet. How did your friend like the trip?

NYCEGUY01

I made a short attempt at WW in the RZR...

NOT gonna happen...lol

Watching Will made me pucker up a couple times when he had his Rubicon sideways making that 46 point turn with rocks 6" in front and in back of him...
All I could think about was that scene in the Austin Powers movie........

ricsrx

Steve,
Brian is his bike ridding buddy, bmx and motorcycle. they are becoming good friends, i'm glad he likes to do the things i do. so its dirt bikes tomorrow.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Sherpa led the the group that consisted of SixStringSteve and his wife and sone, NYCEGuy01, Utekrawler and his buddy.

Rick has already introduced himself, so that base has been covered. I apologize for throwing out so many names over lunch and getting you confused, Will.

it was my self, Rick, my wife Theresa and my son Hunter and his buddy Brian in his crawler.

It was great to be back out on the trail with you (and your family) today, Rick.

I made a short attempt at WW in the RZR...

And I'm glad you made it out as well. Even though your RZR didn't make it up Wayne's World, it was impressive to watch you hop right through Radiator Rapids as if it were nothing. I'm really looking forward to trying RR after my Jeep modification is complete, hopefully later this month.

Watching Will made me pucker up a couple times when he had his Rubicon sideways making that 46 point turn with rocks 6" in front and in back of him...
All I could think about was that scene in the Austin Powers movie........

Oh, quit exaggerating. It couldn't possibly have been more than a 30-point turn. :D

As for myself, I had a great time. I decided to experiment with my tire pressure. In the past, I have only aired down to 15 psi. Today I dropped all the way to 12 psi front and 10 psi rear (I thought running two more pounds in the nose would minimize the chance of popping a bead while steering). In the parking lot, a few guys thought I was nuts for doing this without bead locks, but it actually worked great. It really smoothed out the ride and I felt like I was getting really good grip on the rocks. For example, early on into Rattlesnake I was able to climb right up an off-camber slick surface; right behind me my buddy Marc (white TJ locked f&r on 33s, running 20 psi) tried the same line but broke loose with all four tires and slid sideways all the way off the obstacle.

As always, this trip made me look forward to my lockers. There were a number of times when I had to apply some healthy parking brake to get my rear Trac-Lok limited slip to engage. Of course, some extra height is going to be nice, too. I managed to land on my gas tank skid twice, for example, and I dragged my rear diff and the lower control arm mounts a few times. But at least all the armor took the hits in stride and nothing bent.

Even after watching Marc and Will struggle at Radiator Rapids today, that's one of the first obstacles I want to attempt when my Jeep is done.

iconwill

ROXX N ROLLER
Rick has already introduced himself, so that base has been covered. I apologize for throwing out so many names over lunch and getting you confused, Will.

It was great to be back out on the trail with you (and your family) today, Rick.

And I'm glad you made it out as well. Even though your RZR didn't make it up Wayne's World, it was impressive to watch you hop right through Radiator Rapids as if it were nothing. I'm really looking forward to trying RR after my Jeep modification is complete, hopefully later this month.

Oh, quit exaggerating. It couldn't possibly have been more than a 30-point turn. :D

As for myself, I had a great time. I decided to experiment with my tire pressure. In the past, I have only aired down to 15 psi. Today I dropped all the way to 12 psi front and 10 psi rear (I thought running two more pounds in the nose would minimize the chance of popping a bead while steering). In the parking lot, a few guys thought I was nuts for doing this without bead locks, but it actually worked great. It really smoothed out the ride and I felt like I was getting really good grip on the rocks. For example, early on into Rattlesnake I was able to climb right up an off-camber slick surface; right behind me my buddy Marc (white TJ locked f&r on 33s, running 20 psi) tried the same line but broke loose with all four tires and slid sideways all the way off the obstacle.

As always, this trip made me look forward to my lockers. There were a number of times when I had to apply some healthy parking brake to get my rear Trac-Lok limited slip to engage. Of course, some extra height is going to be nice, too. I managed to land on my gas tank skid twice, for example, and I dragged my rear diff and the lower control arm mounts a few times. But at least all the armor took the hits in stride and nothing bent.

Even after watching Marc and Will struggle at Radiator Rapids today, that's one of the first obstacles I want to attempt when my Jeep is done.

I had a blast with all you guys today! You mean you shouldn't be sideways on a trail?:rolleyes: It's going to be a lot of fun learning from you guys. You've already helped so much. As for the turn, it a 35 point turn. Too fun!!

iconwill

ROXX N ROLLER
I have more footage and it needs to be edited. I had good views of JJ and Dempsey for some of Rattlesnake when i had the gopro mounted on the front of the Jeep. Coming soon.

utekrawler

Hey I had a great time despite getting hung up on a few rocks here and there! Thanks for your patience and some of your help guiding me through! It will be fun to go back once i get some more modifications on my Jeep! It was my first time on the snakes and I love it! Great trail!!

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Dempsey, did you make it through radiator rapids?

No--I never even tried it. I was in the lead coming up to it, but because it has been years since I have seen this obstacle I decided to survey it on foot first. We all parked and walked up to check it out. It has evolved into a more formidable challenge since the last time I drove through it (which was two Jeeps ago), so I decided a better built Jeep should try it first. Marc was chosen to be the guinea pig (SWB TJ on 33s and two lockers). After a number of attempts with guidance from myself (mediocre) and Rick (much better), he wasn't able to succeed. So we had him pull off and park out of the way, then Will decided to give it a shot (JK 2dr Rubicon on 35s). He seemed to come a bit closer, but not quite. Rick and I came up with an unorthodox idea to get him through it (long story), but during the execution we got Will wedged and tippy all at once. Once we finally freed him from his predicament, he decided he had had enough and also bowed out.

Seeing neither of them succeed, I felt it was useless to attempt it in my pegleg lowrider.