Snakes Trip Report Feb 26

sixstringsteve

Just remember, when you go bigger, you'll have to change the gears again. I'd plan on what your goal is for the rig, not where it is right now. If you're ever planning on 33's, I'd go lower. If yo'ure SURE you won't go to 33's, then go with the 4:16s. Also, remember that if you go to toy axles, you'll have 4.10s stock. Just a thought. I speak from experience with the sami's I"ve slowly built, and I have now learned to just set a build goal and stick to it and not change it (or else it gets spendy). But I'll save that for another thread.

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
the open diffs are what hurt Brandon. Every hill climb, if one track was slick, all the power would just go there. He did well on the trail it's self. Stopping from the group didn't help either. Just seemed like he was always on a hill lol. That myside did well. No way was he lacking of power. Brandon did good for his first time :)

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I believe everyone should learn with open diffs anyway, it makes you a better driver once you get lockers. that's my theory at least :D

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
I wheeled my samurai open diffs for a year before I got the rear locker. Wheeled it for 6 years before I put in the front locker. And it didn't matter if we didn't a big enough lift or big enough tires. Hell a few friends had almost bald mud terrains in the early years lol

airmanwilliams

Ill have to see if I can trade for a couple sidekick lockers now lol. I will have to research more though but everyones telling me to put lockers in im just sceptical because this is my daily driver and ive heard they eat tires and since its my daily driver and going to school I cant have that.

sixstringsteve

Ill have to see if I can trade for a couple sidekick lockers now lol. I will have to research more though but everyones telling me to put lockers in im just sceptical because this is my daily driver and ive heard they eat tires and since its my daily driver and going to school I cant have that.

if you get a SPOOL, then it'll eat tires. All other lockers won't eat tires, especially on a lightweight sami. Lockers can get sketchy in the snow if you're not used to them. I still recommend going to yota axles instead of dumping money into sami axles. I know it seems like more money right now, but it'll be a LOT less in the long run, and you'll have a much stronger drivetrain. Take it from a fellow zuk guy with yota axles :)

airmanwilliams

ive been pretty luck at trading for the rebuilding of these axles and getting a nice hybrid rear axle so far. ott steering is just so expensive for me right now, if I could trade my new fresh axles, spare parts(new cs130 alternator+more) all for the ott steering and semi new toyotas I would do it in a second. maybe after I have my rear cage put in I can save for them but I just dont think I can buy the stuff for quite sometime just selling plasma like I have.

I really appreciate the advice you keep giving on all of my different ideas I shoot out thank you steve and everyone else.

sixstringsteve

yeah, you're on your way to building a sweet rig. If you can trade stuff, go for it. But it's tough to sell built sami axles, and they're just as expensive, if not more expensive, than building yota axles. There's a pair of yota axles on here for $300, which is a good price. I know that seems like a lot now, but buying lockers, getting them installed, and then upgrading your sami's to chromollys, it's going to add up quick. Just my two cents. Glad to see you got out on the trail though, that's the best way to find out what you need. And like Camel said, a lot of us have had just as much fun in our stock rigs than in our built to the hilt rigs. Sure, we can crawl bigger stuff now, but it's not necessarily more "fun".

airmanwilliams

yeah hopefully I can find someone desperate for money for their rig that has some and might need rebuilding in exchange for my $150 in lowrange giftcards, saw a guy awhile back with some cheap ones but I was told they were really old landcruiser ones and would need alot of help to adapt them. The "BUG" really bit me on this first time out for me. I already shake a TON from a form of parkinsons I have and with all the adrenaline pumping I shook more and had a hard time driving at one point. IT WAS AWESOME!

sixstringsteve

haha. My grandfather died of parkinsons, but he had zero adrenaline so I'm having a tough time imagining that.

THe mini truck axles (not landcruiser axles) bolt right up to the sami's. I think the brake lines even work just fine. I think you may need a cv driveline in the rear, but that's it.

sorry, hijack over

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Glad to see you got out on the trail though, that's the best way to find out what you need. And like Camel said, a lot of us have had just as much fun in our stock rigs than in our built to the hilt rigs. Sure, we can crawl bigger stuff now, but it's not necessarily more "fun".

This. Fun is getting out there and enjoying your rig in its current state. Is it as built up as you like? Of course not. But ask anybody here if their rig is truly "done" and they will be forced to answer no--there is always another mod we'd like to add. So don't let budgetary concerns stop you from enjoying the hobby.

As for the added challenge, well, the challenge is what makes it fun! I've had built-up TJs in the past which were far more capable than my current one, so it would be easy for me to sit around and cry about how I no longer have 35" tires... or a winch... or a locker... etc etc. But instead of whining, I'll just get out there and enjoy the added challenge of getting this Jeep over an obstacle. It is certainly satisfying when I succeed!

I look forward to seeing you out on a trail somewhere.

airmanwilliams

im not old yet so its not too serious enough for me not to have adrenoline(my wife woudl divorce me if I didnt have ANY). well I will find super cheap ones at some point im sure even if their really bad and need rebuilt.

ANYWAYS im ready for another trip out to rattlesnake and moreso for this snow to be gone so I can explore up there more and not be worried so much about getting stuck in the snow. Huge thanks to chandler that invited me and helped me so much on this awakening for me to the wonderful world of wheeling.

roverrocks

Great pictures! Looked like a very fun day. We got all of 2 snowflakes in Montrose. We need some snow. Very dry this winter between Montrose and Grand Junction.

D-Rat

Super fun run for sure! It was actually kinda cool to see you cutting your teeth Brandon, you rocked the trail pretty darn good for being new, especially in the snowy conditions. I look forward to wheeling with you some more this summer.