Snow-bound rigs on the Rubicon

YOUKNOW

You guys see this?? It's been a record year of snow in the Sierras. Rig was left since December, just now being recovered.
35058c1180ec0752a40269644fcea093.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RogueJeepr

Here!
Yeah I'd say so.
You can really tell the Sierras from up above.
291d9ab7329f76b7fdc3b21d402b76c4.jpg

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chicken77

throttle jockey
I have been following this on Pirate, its been a good read. I believe they are going back in this weekend to try and recover the first rig and locate the second.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I've seen the pics but I don't know the story. Why did the trucks get abandoned, mechanical failure or did they get caught by the snow and couldn't make it out?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/rubicon-trail/2452898-stuck-rigs-need-assistance-all-east-op.html

Cliffs:

-Multi-rig run on New Years Day 2017, two vehicles get hopelessly stuck
-people abandon vehicles (nothing GPS coordinates), plan to return in a couple days to fetch them.
-major snowstorm moves in before they can return, burying the rigs
-numerous attempts to reach vehicles made over last four months, all in vain
-first vehicle was finally uncovered for the first time this week
-neither has yet been rescued AFAIK

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I've got a buddy who posted photos on FB of a similar situation with a snowmobile. Had to dig about 10' down to get to it. Crazy crazy.

Houndoc

I wonder what kind of issues they can expect with vehicles buried in the snow for 5+ months.

Got to thinking that is probably why they wanted to get it out now instead of waiting for more snow melt. As long as was entombed in snow, suspect damage would be minimal. Wait for thaw and let all that snow melt drip in to everything and it won't be good.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
There's a cage in the Jeep holding up the roof. It's been estimated that there was over 6 tons of snow on top of it. I'm sure they'll be picking up another XJ to swap parts over to.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Hard to believe as I was driving through a heat wave yesterday that the 2nd rig is still burried. Another attempt was made.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
That's a pretty awesome story, would have been fun to be apart of the recovery team.

That XJ was deep!! Crazy.