Snowthrower carb trouble?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
My machine is fine with the choke on, but surges when I take it past half choke and wants to die with the choke off. Is this a bad jet or something else? I don't know anything about carbs, I dropped the bowl and jet and cleaned them up but maybe I didn't clean the jet out enough?

Depending on the machine , a new carb will probably be around 50 bucks and twenty minutes to replace

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Dirty carb. Not a big deal. Go buy ethanol free and ONLY use it. Small engines need it. My thrower was doing the same as yours. One tank of real gas later, solved its own problem.

A good cleaning will also solve your problem. But ethanol free is the way to go anyway.

Kevin B.

Dirty carb. Not a big deal. Go buy ethanol free and ONLY use it. Small engines need it. My thrower was doing the same as yours. One tank of real gas later, solved its own problem.

A good cleaning will also solve your problem. But ethanol free is the way to go anyway.

I dumped a can of seafoam in my tank. And I run ethanol free gas.

Fixed mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should probably try this. I ran a couple bottles of liquid mechanic through it just now and it got better but I still can't take the choke all the way off.

Depending on the machine , a new carb will probably be around 50 bucks and twenty minutes to replace

Yah, I think this one is about that range, and that might be what I end up doing because the carb rebuild kits are only a little cheaper. But that's $40-$50 that I could use elsewhere. Pizza doesn't buy itself, you know.

Tonkaman

Pull the carb off, remove the bowl and jets then soak it in Gregs Pine Sol solution for a couple days. Rinse, re-assemble and it should run better.

Kevin B.

Pull the carb off, remove the bowl and jets then soak it in Gregs Pine Sol solution for a couple days. Rinse, re-assemble and it should run better.

Are you saying jets because you're used to motorcycle carbs, or because I have more than one in this little two stroke? I only cleaned one, the one you see when you pull the bowl. If there's another that's probably the trouble.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
These small carbs how one main jet that gets gummed up when gas is left in them. The carbs also have an idle circuit that often get plugged when gas is left in them over the summer. I have fixed many of these for neighbors and a good carb clean will almost always fix them up.

Tonkaman

Are you saying jets because you're used to motorcycle carbs, or because I have more than one in this little two stroke? I only cleaned one, the one you see when you pull the bowl. If there's another that's probably the trouble.

Honestly I've never taken one of these apart so I'm assuming a pilot and main jet. Either way it's the circuits inside the body of the carb that are really important to clean. If you do pull it apart be sure to dunk the whole thing.

Brad J

I found a New carb on Amazon for my Snowblower for $14. It was not an exact match but works well. I wish I went that route when I paid $50 for a carb rebuild a couple years ago. It runs much better now.