Political So now what

Political discussions within

Pike2350

I disagree. I think we should follow in their footsteps and force the government to stop funding everything outside of our country. I applaud those non-filers.

(This is not financial advice)
Why not follow suit? If you truly believe they are doing a just "civil disobedience" why not participate?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
This is the kind of thing that pisses me off and that I would think would appeal generally across the board but doesn't seem to. This is also why I generally approve of funding the IRS, so they can take this kind of enforcement.

Something is fishy about that story.

"125,000 high-income earners"
"did not file tax returns going back to 2017
" (that is 7 years of missed returns)
"the agency says hundreds of millions of dollars of unpaid taxes are involved in these cases"

OK, let's assume it's $999,999,999 in collectible money. Divide that by the 125,000ppl and we're looking at $8k per person. And then divide that by the 5 (actually 7) years of missed taxes and those "high-income earners" owed just ~$1600 each year? The details don't make sense.

"Beginning this week, the IRS will start sending out noncompliance letters to more than 25,000 people who earn more than $1 million per year and 100,000 people with incomes between $400,000 and $1 million who failed to pay their taxes between 2017 and 2021."

Assuming a very modest 10% federal tax/year on the lowest bracket of their income:
25,000 x $100k tax/year x 5 years: $12.5B
100,000 x $40k tax/year x 5 years: $20.0B

Shouldn't they be saying "the agency says 30 billion dollars of unpaid taxes are involved in these cases"

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Something is fishy about that story.

"125,000 high-income earners"
"did not file tax returns going back to 2017
" (that is 7 years of missed returns)
"the agency says hundreds of millions of dollars of unpaid taxes are involved in these cases"

OK, let's assume it's $999,999,999 in collectible money. Divide that by the 125,000ppl and we're looking at $8k per person. And then divide that by the 5 (actually 7) years of missed taxes and those "high-income earners" owed just ~$1600 each year? The details don't make sense.

"Beginning this week, the IRS will start sending out noncompliance letters to more than 25,000 people who earn more than $1 million per year and 100,000 people with incomes between $400,000 and $1 million who failed to pay their taxes between 2017 and 2021."

Assuming a very modest 10% federal tax/year on the lowest bracket of their income:
25,000 x $100k tax/year x 5 years: $12.5B
100,000 x $40k tax/year x 5 years: $20.0B

Shouldn't they be saying "the agency says 30 billion dollars of unpaid taxes are involved in these cases"
Half of them are probably dead people or people who didn't file one year. I also like how they call them "high income earners" to get the pitchfork crowd amped up. $400k is a modest small business. The .gov counts on people not doing simple math like you've done.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'm firmly in the camp that thinks it's impossible to know if the 2020 election had more fraud than normal elections and if it was enough to sway the results. I am however intrigued by those who think Trump will sweep 24' while simultaneously thinking the 20' election was stolen. IF "they" stole 2020, why would "they" allow Trump to win 2024? Cognitive dissonance is such a strange phenomenon.
I'm also 100% certain that Trump vs Biden round 2 is a lose lose for the USA. If ever there was an argument to vote 3rd party cough, Libertarian, cough, 2024 is it.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
It is reassuring that there is still some sanity. I AM surprised that it was unanimous.
I'm not at all, this was a clear overreach by Colorado. Despite there being justices who are more "Liberal" and more "Conservative", they do generally find agreement on lots of bare bones Constitutional questions. Most people only hear about the blockbuster cases like Dobbs, but they agree on many, many smaller cases that don't get the publicity.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I'm firmly in the camp that thinks it's impossible to know if the 2020 election had more fraud than normal elections and if it was enough to sway the results. I am however intrigued by those who think Trump will sweep 24' while simultaneously thinking the 20' election was stolen. IF "they" stole 2020, why would "they" allow Trump to win 2024? Cognitive dissonance is such a strange phenomenon.
I'm also 100% certain that Trump vs Biden round 2 is a lose lose for the USA. If ever there was an argument to vote 3rd party cough, Libertarian, cough, 2024 is it.
I'm curious to see if No Labels actually puts together a reasonable ticket. I know that they are pretty actively courting both RFK and Haley, which would be an odd "unity" ticket if they pulled it out. This is probably the most fertile ground for a third party run since 1912 and the Bull Moose Party. It's highly doubtful that a third party could win, but if enough people vote for it that could have consequences down the line and force changes in the Democratic and Republic platforms to try and bring those voters into their tents.

Regardless, unless Haley is at the top of the GOP ticket (which is doubtful) I'll be voting for a third party for President this November.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I really get bothered when someone says voting for one person is really just voting for another person. Or “why vote for that guy, he’s not going to win?”
People, vote for the person who best represents your ideals, beliefs, and opinions. Then let the cards fall where they will knowing you did your part, for better or worse. I just can’t imagine we’d be in the rut we’re in if everyone did that. Imagine having three or more strong parties working in our government.

02SE

I really get bothered when someone says voting for one person is really just voting for another person. Or “why vote for that guy, he’s not going to win?”
People, vote for the person who best represents your ideals, beliefs, and opinions. Then let the cards fall where they will knowing you did your part, for better or worse. I just can’t imagine we’d be in the rut we’re in if everyone did that. Imagine having three or more strong parties working in our government.

It sounds great, but it's so far from becoming reality, that it is in fact voting for, this year, Biden or Trump. I recall when enough conservative-leaning voters voted for Perot, instead of Bush, and we ended up with slick Willy as a result.

So while Trump is not my favorite person, he's a damn sight better than the idiot we currently have. The Economy, the Country, and the World were better with Trump.