Sometimes... Luck is all you need

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
You might be wondering what all those wonderful colors are... its the Northern Lights! I had no idea it would be possible, I kept looking at my LCD thinking.. what the heck is that colored light? I knew it wasnt city light the angle I was pointing...

_MG_0772s.jpg

_MG_0761x.jpg

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
You couldn't see the lights with the naked eye, it most definitely need a high ISO and 13-15 sec exposure time.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Growing up in Alaska, I was very lucky. We saw them all the time. Many different colors, dancing around the sky. One night driving through Canada, we saw them non stop dancing away the entire night. It was pretty cool.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I've only ever seen them once on a flight from Seattle to Germany, I'm glad I was sitting on the left side of the plane for that one.

Glad you were able to be at the right place at the right time for those beautiful pics.

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
Had a lot of non believers ;)

SOLAR WIND STORM: A remarkably-fast stream of solar wind is buffeting Earth's magnetic field, with speeds reaching 750 km/s (1.7 million mph). In response, NOAA forecasters put the odds of a geomagnetic storm on June 3rd at 40%. High-latitude sky watchers should remain alert for auroras. Aurora alerts: text, voice.

AURORAS IN THE USA: On June 1, Northern Lights spilled across the Canadian border into more than a dozen US states, turning the sky purple and green as far south as Colorado and Nebraska. Subscribers to the Space Weather Alert System (text, voice) knew the storm was coming, but others were surprised: