Spaggyroe's FJ80 Landcruiser build

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Sometimes you don't find projects... they find you.
This is one of those instances. :rofl:

Back story on this one...
Last year, we attended a BBQ with some of my wife's gym friends. We drove my early Bronco and one of the guys at the BBQ loved the thing, and decided he would like to build his own. He wasn't able to find a decent one, so he expanded his search and found a 91 FJ80.

The engine and transmission were out of it, but the body was in pretty decent shape, so he picked it up. He had plans to V8 swap it and have it painted, but the project got a little bit away from him and the expense of paying shops to do all the work was getting out of hand. He decided to cut bait and offered it up to me for a SONG, so I jumped on it.

Here is is when I picked it up from the body shop. All of the body work is done. It needs to be block sanded and painted.

IMG_4416.jpg

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
It already has an Old Man Emu lift on it (but I've found that it needs some help).
The caster is ridiculously bad, radius arm and sway bar bushings are roached, and the shocks are too short.
I'll address all of those issues of course.

This cruiser must have been sponsored by Exxon, because the front knuckles were greasier than Bill De Blasio.
After swinging by Cruiser Outfitters for some new parts, I dug into this mess.

IMG_4453.jpg

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Yes, this means that it is still going to get a V8 swap.
I haven't bought anything yet, but I am leaning towards a Gen V, 5.3 L83.
I believe it has ~355 hp, which is about 200 hp more than stock so I think it'll be decent.

The rear end of the 91 is the less desireable, semi floater. I am hopeful to upgrade it to a later FZJ80 full floater.

I actually want to try to retain the D.O.D. system for fuel economy. (I am serious, and don't call me Shirley)
I would like this rig to be a daily driver. Even though it's much older than my current daily, the build quality is MUCH better.

That's all the pics that I have so far. I'm new to Landcruisers so feel free to chime in if you have any words of wisdom to offer.

85CUCVKRAWLER

I would murder a homeless man to get offered something like this.

Although, i would probably go with an NP241 passenger drop and SYE with 4l80E instead of adapting the 6L80 to the LC case. I know the rear is offset but ive seen people do the same thing with a CV and have no issues.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
That would definitely be nice. I'll look into that!
Cruiser Outfitters is a fantastic resource for these trucks (which you already know). Great support, amazing customer service, and a really deep knowledge base!

I also highly recommend finding a FZJ80 rear axle for the full float axle like you mentioned. I am excited to follow along as you build this.

You are welcome to take mine for a rip if you want to feel the suspension difference.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Very cool! I think I saw this on KSL or FB Marketplace a couple months ago maybe? Don't remember the price when I saw it, but good to hear you got a deal!

Highly likely / almost certain. I know he had it listed somewhere for a minute. I definitely got the friends and family discount on this one. 😎

We’ll see how much this cheap landcruiser costs me. 😂

RockChucker

I don’t know you can run an A6 trans behind a Gen V? Maybe I’m wrong though. Even if a Gen V won’t work, a Gen IV is a great motor. Just don’t put the A6 behind a Gen iii like I did. Ugh. I would have been money ahead to repin the harness for a Gen iv ecm and install a 58x reluctor wheel when I built the motor. That is going to be a sweet ride for sure.

Another thing to consider…I’ve been researching tundra 10.5 axles. They are pretty sweet. Wide. But sweet. You could narrow one of those, keep the centered rear diff and run a gm tcase? Then an L83 and 8 or 10 speed wouldn’t require adaptation. Also to note about tcase gearing. With the 4.0 first gear in the A6, I run my mid range of 2.41 and haven’t touched the 4.33 low range.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I don’t know you can run an A6 trans behind a Gen V? Maybe I’m wrong though. Even if a Gen V won’t work, a Gen IV is a great motor. Just don’t put the A6 behind a Gen iii like I did. Ugh. I would have been money ahead to repin the harness for a Gen iv ecm and install a 58x reluctor wheel when I built the motor. That is going to be a sweet ride for sure.

Another thing to consider…I’ve been researching tundra 10.5 axles. They are pretty sweet. Wide. But sweet. You could narrow one of those, keep the centered rear diff and run a gm tcase? Then an L83 and 8 or 10 speed wouldn’t require adaptation. Also to note about tcase gearing. With the 4.0 first gear in the A6, I run my mid range of 2.41 and haven’t touched the 4.33 low range.

The 6L80 was offered in trucks behind the L83. Both 2wd and 4wd applications. Either will work with marks t-case adapter. My plan is to source both from the same vehicle. I have no opposition to a gen IV engine either. If I could find one with low miles, I’d strongly consider it (I may even prefer it).

RockChucker

The 6L80 was offered in trucks behind the L83. Both 2wd and 4wd applications. Either will work with marks t-case adapter. My plan is to source both from the same vehicle. I have no opposition to a gen IV engine either. If I could find one with low miles, I’d strongly consider it (I may even prefer it).
Cool! Learn new things everyday. This is going to be such a cool build.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I’m a bit behind the curve on the gen 4 and 5, but was looking at a 2015 gmc the other day. Thought it would be the perfect set up for my LJ. Then I noticed the offset water pump. It sits right where the power steering pump would sit, if it had one. Also it looks like it has a vacuum pump mounted on the lower driver side as well. Does that have to stay for the brake booster?