Jeep Speed Goat TJ, the anti-build thread

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I was surprised that the other owners didn't run the 42 MTRs i bought for it. Was trying to make it a low slung waterfall climber but never went further than my driveway LoL.

@Greg What title does it have now? Think it was still a blue TX title when i sold it in 2012

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I was surprised that the other owners didn't run the 42 MTRs i bought for it. Was trying to make it a low slung waterfall climber but never went further than my driveway LoL.

@Greg What title does it have now? Think it was still a blue TX title when i sold it in 2012

It seems like there have been a couple of wheel and tire changes over the years, I'm not sure exactly who changed what.

The Jeep did not come with the title, but I have have that covered. 😉

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The work continues, I pulled more some parts off and decided to address the interior. The seats were fine, but worn. My PRP's were begging to get installed, so I yanked out the Corbeaus, cleaned up the dirt & pine cones (Chad :cody: ) , decided to delete the amp & associated wiring, etc.

20221103_161819-X4.jpg

20221103_171643-X4.jpg

The new PRP's bolted right in, but the rear bolts were a PITA to put a nut on... so I welded the nut to a washer, then the washer to the inside of the seat bracket. I also added new Crow harnesses I've had sitting around for awhile.... just looks a little cleaner.

20221104_142332-X4.jpg

I decided to add some roll cage padding, I have nothing against helmets but I'd prefer not to wear one while running trails. I ordered some Longacre high density mini padding on Amazon, cut it into 12" lengths and installed it around the most likely places to bash one's head, I probably need one more, for the outer bar.

20221103_161828-X4.jpg

Decided to take care of some maintenance, changing the fluid in the Atlas and both diffs. The rear output shaft seal leaks on the Atlas, I ordered one but don't have it. Dropping the skidplates in one piece was fun, it's HEAVY. I measured the t-case skidplate, it's a 4" drop and I think I could easily swap in a 2" drop skidplate and raise the breakover point. If I cut the floor & rotate the Atlas, I think I could pull off a 1" drop. I'd also raise the engine/trans skidplate, either way.

20221104_144338-X4.jpg

20221104_165221-X4.jpg

I mentioned the broken welds in the rear diff, so after cleaning out the rear really good, I hit it with the torch preheating the spider gears, the old welds, burning out the gear oil, etc. The center pin was glowing red at one point, then I cranked the welder all the way up and began burning it all back together. I decided to add a piece of 3/8" plate to tie the spider gears.

20221104_182429-X4.jpg

The starter was still acting up after installing the new battery, so I swapped in a new high torque LS starter. Chad mentioned the exhaust heat had killed starters in the past, so I added some heat shielding around the starter... hopefully it makes a difference.

20221104_194642-X4.jpg

20221104_194717-X4.jpg

I had these fancy, aftermarket windshield frame hinges for the old TJ and decided to swap them on... just because.

20221104_202900-X4.jpg

20221104_202853-X4.jpg

I tweaked the rear Currie AntiRock swaybar links further in, to increase the stability... after a test drive, it still feels like it needs more. I may pull the arms and redrill them... we'll see. Also found a slight coolant leak from the radiator and took care of that. Bleed the brakes after installing the new calipers, took it for a quick test drive around the neighborhood to bed the new pads in.

Hoping to get out on the trail tomorrow!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Dang man, doing work!

Gaining 3” under the belly would be ridiculously awesome. I like it.