Jeep Speed Goat TJ, the anti-build thread

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The pronghorn is a species of artiodactyl mammal indigenous to interior western and central North America. Though not an antelope, it is known in North America as the American antelope, prong buck, pronghorn antelope and prairie antelope, because it closely resembles the antelopes of the Old World and fills a similar ecological niche due to parallel evolution. The pronghorn is the fastest land mammal in the Western Hemisphere, with running speeds of up to 55 mph... aka, the Speed Goat.

Screenshot_20221029_132801-XL.jpg

This TJ has been around RME for at least 15 years and has been owned by 3 other members, each putting their own twist on the build and making it better with each step. I won't give a complete breakdown of the mods & build, but this TJ started out with @GOAT Project Swollen Goat where the TJ was cut up, links and coilovers and lots of tube were added, then @Evolved took ownership calling is the 2nd Hand Goat, cleaned it up nicely and made some great upgrades with PSC full hydro, Corbeau seats, a RCI fuel cell, air bumps and much more. After that, it headed to Portland and it's 3rd unknown owner did some work. From there it headed North into the hands of @MR4WD across the border into British Columbia, Canada and he called it the Mountain Goat. Chad upgraded the drivetrain with a GM crate LS3 engine with a hot cam and a 4L70E transmission. :eek:

And now it's mine... I'm not calling this a build thread, because it's already built. I will be making some changes, updating some things and making it fit my needs. ;) Why did I buy it? Mainly, I'm getting burned out on building massive project Jeeps (my own fault) and want something I can just wheel the hard trails with. I also love the history of this Jeep here on RME and the way it's built, it was a perfect fit for me.

Huge thanks to Chad @MR4WD for hauling it back across the border from Canada and Jeremy @Hickey for running all they way up to Seattle to bring it back to UT where I could get it, then bring it the rest of the way to Colorado.

Build Specs;

Engine -
LS3 Crate engine with a Hot Cam from GM making 495 HP and 480 ft/lbs

Transmission - 4L70E 4speed auto crate transmission with 2000 RPM stall convertor

T-Case - Atlas 3.8 driver drop with 1350 outputs

Axles - Front Ford '89-91 Kingpin D60 with 5.13 gears and Yukon Zip Locker, 35 spline stubs and Summit Machine drive flanges. Rear D70 with 5.13's and a welded diff, should be 35 spline as well.

Suspension - 3 link front, double triangulated 4 link out back. Fox 2.0 coilovers, 2" Fox air bumps, Currie antirock sway bar, limit straps.

Wheelbase - 108"

Steering - PSC 2.5" DE full hydro, orbital and PS pump

Wheels & Tires - 40" Maxxis Trepadors on Method wheels with Staun inner beadlocks

Tube work - 1.75" DOM roll cage & tubework by Kyle Listul @Kyle

Misc; Corbeau seats, RCI 15 gallon fuel cell, Sidewinder trans shifter, Warn 9500 winch on the front, Superwinch out back,

Pics;
20221029_121837-X4.jpg

20221029_121852-X4.jpg

20221029_121901-X4.jpg

20221029_121912-X4.jpg

20221029_121919-X4.jpg

20221029_121933-X4.jpg

20221029_123253-X4.jpg

20221029_135223-X4.jpg

Greg

Admin
The loose plan so far...

Smaller changes;
  • I want to cut off the stinger in the front and turn the point into a horizontal push bar, more prerunner style.
  • The seats are pretty worn out, we will see how well they clean up. I have a pair of new PRP's I could toss in
  • The rear axle is welded, I didn't really care for the spool in my old TJ so I'd like to swap in a ARB?
  • I'd like to add a proper fan shroud to the radiator, just to make sure it stays cool on those warmer, slow moving days.
  • I really don't like the tube bent into the hood or the hood cut lines... but it's tied into the engine cage. I'd love to try make my fiberglass hood fit, but I think that tube will be in the way.
  • Upgrade factory outer knuckles to stronger after market
  • Upgrade the front winch to a Zeon? Not needed
  • Alloy inner axles

The bigger projects that I'd consider, but will take some serious work;
  • Rebuild the entire front frame with a MotoBilt front-half frame kit, for more up-travel. That would be a massive project.
  • Change up the origional PSC double ended cylinder, Artec hydro mount, my 2.75" DE steering cyl, etc.
  • Lower it a good 3-4", for better COG.
  • Shock changes, still debating between upgrading to better coilovers or putting my 14" ORI's on. I want stability and good handling at speed, plus good crawling manners.
  • Add A/C... mostly for the wife. I have A/C TJ parts, no idea whats left in the dash far as controls & vents.

MR4WD

Lost again
Lol at speed goat. Not a bad moniker

Just a heads up with the front winch - it’s ridiculously fast. You may want to look at keeping it vs a Zeon. And the seats are heated! More of a Canadian thing I guess.

The steering reservoir bracket was welded on in haste without gas for the mig welder and no welding shield in an emergent repair 😂

Can’t wait to see the build unfold!

Greg

Admin
Lol at speed goat. Not a bad moniker

Just a heads up with the front winch - it’s ridiculously fast. You may want to look at keeping it vs a Zeon. And the seats are heated! More of a Canadian thing I guess.

The steering reservoir bracket was welded on in haste without gas for the mig welder and no welding shield in an emergent repair 😂

Can’t wait to see the build unfold!

@RockChucker was telling me the same thing about the winch a few hours ago, I had no idea. I'll leave it alone then!

I saw the reservoir bracket and weld, wondered what that was about! 😆 I'll move it and build a new mount.

MR4WD

Lost again
@RockChucker was telling me the same thing about the winch a few hours ago, I had no idea. I'll leave it alone then!

I saw the reservoir bracket and weld, wondered what that was about! 😆 I'll move it and build a new mount.
ALSO!!! I can’t remember the fuel pickup I used in the tank, it’s got pickups on either side and is pretty badass. I used a funnel to fill the tank, if you ever use Jerry cans god bless your patience

Have a look at the skid plate, I have a 3’x5’ sheet of 3/8 that I’ll never do anything with now - the plan was one day to rebuild the skid much tighter to the chassis than it is now

The rear light mounts I won at some event, they are more intricate than a Rolex

The rear winch is the 2nd fastest winch ever in comparison with the front winch (literally). Super handy in 30’ of snow with the 46’s. They are both blistering and quite strong

It could use a shroud, but at 220° I’d just back off the throttle for a moment and it would cool down.

I think you should put a turbo on it to tame the exhaust 😉

Greg

Admin
Did some maintenance and decided to take the approach that if I'm working on it, I might as well clean it up and improve it. I tore down the drivers front hub and pulled the front axle shafts out to replace the broken u-joint. I hoped that the inner axle shafts had been upgraded to alloy shafts, but they're just stock Ford inner shafts... once I got the joint pressed out, I noticed that the inner shaft yokes were egged out. If I put the new joint in, it wouldn't be long before the caps were broke again due to the slop. I do plan on upgrading inner shafts soon, I don't think stickey tires, lots of gearing, 500 HP and getting bound up in big Colorado boulders is a good combo. I'd rather have the Spicer u-joint be the fuse in the equation, than an inner axle shaft.

20221030_165422-X4.jpg

Spare parts to the rescue! I still have my factory shafts from the '89-91 Kingpin Ford Dana 60 from the 'other Jeep' sitting out back! Getting the old joint out was a bear, my 20 ton press was working hard and the top of the caps actually broke off trying to take it apart. I got it eventually, cleaned up both shafts and pressed the new Spicer SPL55-3X joint into place.

20221030_110600-X4.jpg

20221030_113027-X4.jpg

20221030_125324-X4.jpg

The brakes, hubs and bearings all seemed OK, but they're 15 yrs old at this point and have seen plenty of use and abuse. I have the new & cleaned up parts from the other Jeep's Dana 60, so I decided to toss on my cleaned up hub & caliper mount, plus the new Red calipers that I painted to make look fancy. (There's a backstory to this, I've shared it here before... when I used to work at Super Shops in Provo, we sold a LOT of fancy wheels. We used to offer customers painting their calipers Red as a upgrade, to go with the fancy wheels. Its a funny memory, but I like to relive it every now & again on my own vehicles.)

Another upgrade I've been waiting a long time for is putting my RME4x4 engraved 35 spline drive flanges on! These were made by Summit Machine and they're rad! Just another step in making this MY Jeep. ;)

20221030_154235-X4.jpg

20221030_180101-X4.jpg

I also left the 1.5" wheel spacers off, with a 68-69" wide axle I just don't see the need for them. The tires are 82" wide at the outside and should fit between my 83" wide fenders on my trailer!

20221030_182415-X4.jpg

20221030_182449-X2.jpg