Spy Pics of Vonski's 4 seater buggy

Vonski

nothing to see here...
chadschoon said:
stupid question but what is the advantage of a square frame rather then tubular? I imagine strength

Thats not a stupid question at all...

Strength is one, but chassis built entirely out of tubing can easily be built tough enough (or tougher) than you would need for a buggy like this. Of course, a well thought out design and excecution are important in the whole scheme of things too. The disadvantage would be an increase in overall weight. Most chassis built from only tubing tend to be a bit lighter. However, when you've got a non-competition rig built for 4 people w/ 60's, V8, auto, etc, light weight shouldn't be your goal (unless 4,200+ lbs. is your idea of "light"). :)

I see people using non-round materials for two reasons typically... One would be the Modified Class buggy guys, since it is required. The other would be simply due to personal preference.

Although it takes more time and thought, the work that goes into a rectangular frame ends up showing more fabrication detail. Since it is going to be utilized as a promotional vehicle throughout the year, we felt we had better go the extra mile.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
RockMonkey said:
It's great to see you finally getting your buggy, Von. :)

Yeah, it started to become quite the joke. I've been threatening to build something for like 5 years now. :p

I'm glad it's happening now instead of when I first started aquiring parts. You remember the Mog axles, TBI 350, NP205, and other miscellaneous parts I had set aside over the years? :rofl:

This is definitely a cool rig with great components. Seth's got a great staff here and I couldn't be happier with the work they're all doing. :cool:

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Greg said:
How about the rest of the specs? Von, post up!

Sorry for the delay, but I'm not online much these days...

Here are some specs:

Vortec 5.3 motor
J&G built TH400 tranny
Art Carr shifter
Atlas tcase
Front HP D60 (changed to pass. side drop)/35 spl. shafts
Front 4-link (including track or panhard bar)
Rear standard rotation D60 with D70 spindles/35 spl. shafts
Rear double triagulated 4-link
40" Maxxis tires
Walker Evans beadlocks
RL4x4 built (3 turn) Scout P/S box
RL4x4 hydraulic assist steering

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
light weight shouldn't be your goal (unless 4,200+ lbs. is your idea of "light").

you know, sadly that's about half of what my truck will weigh. :eek:

I like the overall look of that buggy, and I think some of the detail work, like the neat hood braces, will serve well as a showcase.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Tacoma said:
you know, sadly that's about half of what my truck will weigh. :eek:

I like the overall look of that buggy, and I think some of the detail work, like the neat hood braces, will serve well as a showcase.
8000+ pounds??? :eek: Are you filling the tires with lead?