Steel Bender in stock Cherokee?

kirk86CJ

I've got a friend that has a cherokee - totally stock except for a 2" budget lift. I told him I would take him on a ride this weekend. Could he get through Steel Bender without damaging his XJ? He doesn't have tow hooks, and would probably not like any body damage. There will be plenty of other jeeps/winches/straps to help him.

Anyone have any other suggestions for a nice/challanging (for him) trail to run? I'm trying to balance me not being too bored, and not getting him in over his head.

Thanks
kirk

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
IMO, you can probably get him through Steel Bender without any major problems. You will probably have to strap him a couple of times, kind of a pain and potentially dangerous without tow hooks, but you could do it. You will probably have to stack some rocks in places to try to keep his rocker panels clean, again kind of a pain, but not that big of a deal.

However, with all that said, I think you and him would have a better time on Fins-N-Things. It has a few challenging spots and really is a fun trail.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
We made the mistake of taking a stock grand charokee through there. One of those family cars that they didn't want scratched. It took FOREVER to get through, and I would not try it again, but we did it. Got some underbody scrapes, but nothing his wife noticed.

If I were you I would pick a trail that is better suited for that rig.

96_XJ

Top of the World, is a fun trail. You can do it in a stock XJ. but fun for everone, and has some lil cool areas.

ZUKEYPR

If you took all the easy lines yes, with the exception of that nasty ledge just after the gate that has the immediate left turn after it. I would say there you're going to have big issues. If you want a challenging trail that it would be OK on I would suggest Metal Masher, less challenging but still fun Fins in things, even lesser challenging with awesome scenarie but "AR's" (AR-annoying little rocks) Top of the World. my 2 cents

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'd be worried about that big ledge after the fence as well.

We've taken stock XJ's and ZJ through Metal Masher before. Mirror gulch and the next 100 yards thereafter would be hte only difficult spot but a 2" lift and some 30's should get it done.

Cody

camicaztoy

hell revenge can be done fairly easily in a stock xj, shoot i took my stock chevy 1 ton through it(twice). also pioson spider out to the launching pad and back is always a fun trip.

jfonze

Cody said:
I'd be worried about that big ledge after the fence as well.

We've taken stock XJ's and ZJ through Metal Masher before. Mirror gulch and the next 100 yards thereafter would be hte only difficult spot but a 2" lift and some 30's should get it done.

Cody

I'd skip that ledge all together, there is a bypass for it and quite frankly that thing is huge now a days, unless you have 37's and atleast 100+ wheel base I wouldn't even atempt it.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I took my ZJ up most of steel bender sporting a 2" BB and 245/75/16 tires. Not too bad but I parked it and jumped in with a buddy when the going too rough and the fenders were in danger LOL

MRJ

Just a user
Is this ledge on the downhill after the fence?

We did up to this in our 03 Discovery II with 265/75-16s and a 3" lift. No problems but this ledge is nasty, we turned around and went back. My wife had enough by then anyways.

I second Hells Revenge, or Fins and Things. Both are fun in stock vehicles. You will drag the rear on Fins and Things though.

ZUKEYPR

jfonze said:
I'd skip that ledge all together, there is a bypass for it and quite frankly that thing is huge now a days, unless you have 37's and atleast 100+ wheel base I wouldn't even atempt it.

I had my Passport last time up there with 3" sus, 3" body, 33's", locked, 107" wheelbase, and it was major pucker factor. Your right that ledge is huge now and the right shoulder is extremely soft and gives way with the slightest bit of weight on it.

ZUKEYPR

jfonze said:

Where's the bypass at? I love that trail other than the fact it is long as hell and that ledge.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
i wouldnt.

steel bender ( i did it in may) i had to get straped up the fence. i have a cherokee with a 4.5" lift and 31s and i did it all pritty easy but that 100ft section. never been down it. loved that trail. we got a stock bronco 2 threw the whole trail. some pushing and straps. never got old watching that thing try though....

i would go for poison spyder. that was a fun trail and it could do it.

i also want to know where that bypass is. we looked never saw one. just a turn around.....

Last edited:

ZUKEYPR

jfonze said:

BTT, so is there a bypass that I don't know about or were we mistaken the ledge in question with possibly another ledge such as IIRC tie-rod snapper? Just really curious for as I mentioned before I love that trail but avoid it due to that ledge and I'm heading down there the first weekend in Nov.