Steel fuel cell??

COMP4x4

I need a custom shape fuel cell for my rig. I have read on here how most of the aluminum ones crack if not secured right. No plastic ones are made to the specs I want. Is there anything aside from the extra weight that would be bad about a steel fuel cell? I only need about 10 gallons and I have a tig machine so I could do aluminum but I am thinking the weight wouldn't too bad and would not crack. Would there be any issues with corroding? I know on motorcycle tanks there is a sealer you can use.
Also is there anywhere that sells the accessories fairly cheap? (fuel filler neck, rollover valve, sending unit, fittings, etc.) The more I look for parts the more I am thinking that by the time your into the parts you may as well buy one. But then I guess it wouldn't be the custom fit I need.
Thanks guys

lewis

Fight Till You Die
My stock tacoma tank is steel. Don't see why it wouldn't work. Just weld it before you put gas in it.

jswainthug

I need a custom shape fuel cell for my rig. I have read on here how most of the aluminum ones crack if not secured right. No plastic ones are made to the specs I want. Is there anything aside from the extra weight that would be bad about a steel fuel cell? I only need about 10 gallons and I have a tig machine so I could do aluminum but I am thinking the weight wouldn't too bad and would not crack. Would there be any issues with corroding? I know on motorcycle tanks there is a sealer you can use.
Also is there anywhere that sells the accessories fairly cheap? (fuel filler neck, rollover valve, sending unit, fittings, etc.) The more I look for parts the more I am thinking that by the time your into the parts you may as well buy one. But then I guess it wouldn't be the custom fit I need.
Thanks guys
Almost every stock tank I can think of is steel so corroding would not be the problem. Seems very do able to me, although I have ran aluminum for years without problems.

jsudar

I have friend who built one himself for his old willys. He had a sheet metal place bend two pieces of 14 gauge into C shapes and welded them together with a mig. He even welded in the bung from a chevy tank so he could drop his level sender/fuel pump unit right inside and secure it with a factory o ring and lock ring. He also built some sort of baffle to keep fuel near the pickup as well.

It was a sweet setup. After he welded it up, filled it with water and pressured it up with compressed air to check for leaks before he ever put gas in it. It's been seven or eight years and he's still running it as far as I know.

One thing to consider: gasoline has a tendency to collect moisture which will rot your tank out from the inside. Factory steel tanks are galvanized to keep this from happening. J-Mac radiator has some sort of coating they can line the inside of your tank with to stop this. We had them line a home-built steel motor home fuel tank that had serious rust issues and it fixed it right up.

My vote is to go ahead and do it as long as you feel comfortable welding thin steel.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Steel will work fine. If you have the capability to weld the Aluminum, it will also work fine--just don't use the same super-thin stuff they use on the cheaply available AL fuel cells.

JC Whitney (and I'm sure hundreds of other places) sell the coating stuff you can use on the inside of a steel cell.

built mine form 11 gauge stainless steel. used SS a pipe for a filler and a SS cap. built it around the fuel pump, holds over 8 gallons and welded it with my MM250. this was before i got the TIG, no problems and ive had it in use for over a 5 years.

jason.