Steering U Joint

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Shawn said:
Is that just for the U Joint or are the yokes included?

That is just the joint... the yokes are also in stock. They have numerous different ones in stock, to mate them to keyed shaft (1/2" - 1" if not more), as well as slip-style yokes, and spline yokes to mate to the PS Box.

R

rockdog

cruiseroutfit said:
That is just the joint... the yokes are also in stock. They have numerous different ones in stock, to mate them to keyed shaft (1/2" - 1" if not more), as well as slip-style yokes, and spline yokes to mate to the PS Box.

Kurt, you are one knowledgable dude for such a young pup. :)

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
This could be the best tech on RME in a long long time. Are we talking significant savings over Borganson and flaming river stuff?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
bobdog said:
...Are we talking significant savings over Borganson and flaming river stuff?

Not sure how much the "kits" sell for (we (Cruiser Outfitters) have been peicing our own kits for 10+ years)... I think I can get the whole linkage setup for ~$150 with a 4" slip yolk...

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
cruiseroutfit said:
PS Shawn.. I have all the part numbers for doing a PS swap using 5/8" keyed PTO shaft... Not sure what size your using.
5/8 is kinda big....... I'm going to go see Andy and see what he has. Six States quoted me $8.80 for the U Joint it's self.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Shawn said:
5/8 is kinda big....... I'm going to go see Andy and see what he has. Six States quoted me $8.80 for the U Joint it's self.

5/8" is pretty standard in the Landcruiser PS realm... I know they have 1/2 shaft too, not sure if they stock it.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
cruiseroutfit said:
5/8" is pretty standard in the Landcruiser PS realm... I know they have 1/2 shaft too, not sure if they stock it.
hummmmmmmmmmm,, I thought 3/4 was the standard.... :ugh:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Shawn said:
hummmmmmmmmmm,, I thought 3/4 was the standard.... :ugh:

Mine actually is 3/4" but most of the "commercial kits" (AA, etc) are 5/8", I could tell you the shear force differences between the two, but your keyway is going to be the first thing to fail :D

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
cruiseroutfit said:
Mine actually is 3/4" but most of the "commercial kits" (AA, etc) are 5/8", I could tell you the shear force differences between the two, but your keyway is going to be the first thing to fail :D
I will be welding the shaft to the joint in most cases.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Shawn said:
I will be welding the shaft to the joint in most cases.

Good call, but with the Landcruiser you can only weld one of the 4 joints, one bolts to the Saginaw box, one is the slip joint, and the other is keyed so that the column can be removed from the firewall, otherwise the shaft won't pull through... On your application you could weld at least two. However, include the slip joint, I have seen welds crack from people that did not, the vibration between the frame and the tub (not to mention twisting, etc when wheeling) can play havoc on the welds, especially since the Dana/Spicer yokes are cast.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
cruiseroutfit said:
Good call, but with the Landcruiser you can only weld one of the 4 joints, one bolts to the Saginaw box, one is the slip joint, and the other is keyed so that the column can be removed from the firewall, otherwise the shaft won't pull through... On your application you could weld at least two. However, include the slip joint, I have seen welds crack from people that did not, the vibration between the frame and the tub (not to mention twisting, etc when wheeling) can play havoc on the welds, especially since the Dana/Spicer yokes are cast.
Interesting.......well.... this is for the Commando not the Cruiser. And I hate to say this but the ones on the Cruiser have been welded on all ends except at the box for many years and I have yet to have a problem. No slip joint here....

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
OK, here is a question. Anyone know of a stock rig that comes with these on them? Do I hear PNP calling my name.......? ;)