Steve's '94 Toyota x-cab mild build

sixstringsteve

I decided to throw my 35s on the back to see what it'd look like.

IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

I love how low it's sitting. I only wish the front were that low when I was done, that would be amazing. I'm guessing I"ll have to raise the rear about 2". It looks like I'll be trimming the rear fenders either way, since the tires are within 1/4" of the sheetmetal.

sixstringsteve

so.....any updates?

No updates. I've been in Moab for the past 5 days with my wife on vacation. It was a great trip, but the entire time I was saying to myself "I wish I had my truck done in time."

I should get the hp elocker soon, then I'll spend most of Friday and Saturday getting it installed, and getting the front end off jacks.

Max Power

Bryce
I like your wheel tire combo. You can't go wrong with black on black. I am glad you still enjoyed Moab. I have gone down several times without a capable vehicle and it makes you appreciate the times you do that much more. I am heading down next Thursday.

sixstringsteve

yeah, it was a great time, but the national parks are super lame for not letting a dog travel in a vehicle. I couldn't even do the white rim trail because I had a dog in my car. Oh well, now I know.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
yeah, it was a great time, but the national parks are super lame for not letting a dog travel in a vehicle. I couldn't even do the white rim trail because I had a dog in my car. Oh well, now I know.

Fwiw you can take them in some National Parks, Arches for example. However WRT has always been off-limits to pets.

sixstringsteve

Steve, I know you got your diff today so......wheres the updates???? lol

dang, I forgot you knew I had my new parts.

Ok, you deserve a little update for taking care of my orders almost every day. :D

I pulled the front housing... again... and removed all the studs.
IMG_0937.JPG

Then I put in the allen head bolts as my new studs. I traced the elocker gasket (thanks Kurt). Note to anyone doing this: the gasket has a top and a bottom, do not do it backwards or it won't work.
IMG_0938.JPG

Here's a shot of where I finished. Band practice was at 9 and it called me away from the truck. At least I got the housing cut. It looks like I won't have to weld extra material to the housing, I should have plenty of surface area for the gasket and a good seal.
IMG_0941.JPG

Tomorrow I plan on dropping off my rear elocker third to SixStates for Kevin to install the 5.29s, solid pinion spacer, and triple-drilled flanges. Hopefully I can get the front third installed tomorrow, and re-hang the front housing.

Agenda for saturday:
- steering (hopefully i don't have to notch the frame)
- turn the hubs to fit the tundra calipers
- install hubs, axle shafts, and brakes
- bleed brakes
- get the rig off jackstands and see how it sits under its own weight.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Ok toyota junkies, question for ya.

My brake master cylinder is in great shape, it looks brand new. It's totally dry though, so I'll be bleeding it eventually.

My question is... is a GM mc going to give me more stopping power than the '94 4cyl mc? And is the bigger MC needed for the tundra calipers? I'm going to be keeping the drums in the back.

sixstringsteve

Generally they are not allowed into the back country, ie WRT, Elephant Hill, Maze, etc. However improved campgrounds in some cases allow them. Its pretty well spelled out on the different park websites.

ah. The rangers I talked to made it sound like that was the rule for all national parks. Thank you for the clarification. Even in canyonlands we couldn't take a pet to the 100 yard trail to the overlook. Maybe we just picked the wrong park to bring a dog too. Canyonlands said we could have our dog with us at our campsite, on paved roads, and in parking lots. I should have done more research before heading out there, but it's ok, we had a great time, and we found some great new places that we'll be returning to in the future.

sixstringsteve

I just found a thread on Pirate that says the 3rd gen trucks came with the dual diaphragm booster and the bigger master, so it sounds like I'm good to go.

Here's what MT4Runner said:

The step in the diaphragm pretty much tells you it's a dual diaphragm.

3rd gen 4x4 trucks have the dual diaphragm that's the same diameter as 2nd gen 4x4 single diaphragm.

3rd gen 2wd and 2nd gen Turbo trucks have a dual diaphragm that's the same diameter as 1st gen 4x4 single diaphragm.

You can't put a 3rd gen dual diaphragm in a 1st gen because it will hit the steering shaft. You can put about any booster you want (including T100, IIRC) in a 2nd gen. You shouldn't need to do anything if you already have a 3rd gen!!

Grab the master cylinder from that 3rd gen truck, too. It's a bigger bore than the the 13/16 bore we have in 2nd gen trucks--so with the two, it's an instant HUGE brake upgrade.

Last edited: