Steve's '94 Toyota x-cab mild build

sixstringsteve

I got a ton done today, everything went smooth. I got the wheels on, and it's sitting under it's own weight. It was a nerve wracking moment since I had no idea what the shackle angle, height, and tire clearance was going to look like. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

I'm too tired to post the pics and write more tonight, but I'll give a full report with pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

First i got the spindles installed with the FROR adapters. Even though FROR was tough to get ahold of, they design a killer product.

IMG_0961.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

I wish I had taken some pictures of my hubs getting turned. I took 'em to a guy that Corban recommended. Great guy, and he does great work. His company is called Quality 1st Machine. He has a lathe and a cnc mill, and his prices are great. Great guy too. Here's his info if anyone needs a good machinist:

Don Kitchen
801-602-8233

Anyway, here's the IFS hub turned down. THey need to be turned so the Tundra rotor can fit over them.

IMG_0963.JPG

ARP hub studs, longfield hub gears to convert the IFS outers to the SFA 30 splines. What a great mod, since IFS hub outers are much easier to find. Once again, I can't stress how impressed I am with Front Range's brake kit. It kills two birds with one stone: it allows you to run tacoma or tundra brakes on a SFA, and it adds the IFS hubs to the front axle, so it's 3.25" wider in front, to match the rear housing without spacers.

IMG_0965.JPG

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

This is my shackle angle at rest:
IMG_0970.JPG

IMG_0971.JPG

the springs are pretty much flat. i'm guessing I have 1-2 inches of uptravel :( I may have to add another leaf to the pack.

IMG_0973.JPG

It sits about an inch higher in front, which is great. I'm planning on adding another leaf to the rear pack to level it out. I'm honestly really really pleased with how low the front sits. I'd heard that it was next to impossible to keep an IFS truck low with a solid axle.

IMG_0974.JPG

It's crazy how motivated I am now that it's on it's own feet.

IMG_0975.JPG

sixstringsteve

I still have a lot to do, but it's feeling like I'm close.

- mount steering box forward
- front brakes
- shocks
- bump stops
- decide what I'm going to do with the rear (add a leaf, change shackle hanger, etc)

Then it'll be drivable at that point. I won't have 4wd, but it'll be drivable.

I'll probably drive it for a few weeks to work out the kinks. once I get the kinks worked out, I'll be doing the following:
- Modifying the rear axle to accept the elocker
- building the rear case with 4.7s
- duals
- get the drivelines lengthened and shortened
- wiring the elockers
- then drive the snot out of it. I'm going to moab for the memorial day BBQ, so my goal is to have all this done by then. i think i can do it.

sixstringsteve

I think 3.5" BS wheels would be perfect for this rig. I haven't decided if I'll add wheel spacers, or sell these wheels and try to get some soft 8s ordered with the backspacing I need. I'll run these without spacers for a run or two to see how bad they rub the leaves and inner fenders.

I gotta say, this is turning out to be a great looking truck. I'm excited.

SchrammMan74

Mine Drove like a dream with leaf springs and 35" tires.. Now with the 4link in the rear and new 3link in the front I am adding a swaybar to help with how soft the suspension is.

sixstringsteve

Mine Drove like a dream with leaf springs and 35" tires.. Now with the 4link in the rear and new 3link in the front I am adding a swaybar to help with how soft the suspension is.

My last rig had a 3link/4link, and it rocked offroad, but it was a little squishy on the street. I secretly longed for a toy on leaves again, so I sold it and got this one. Leaves just work so well on pre-tacoma rigs.

SchrammMan74

I have only taken mine out with the 3link once since finished.. I really liked mine with the leafs in the front and 4 link in the rear. But it had it's flaws at the same time.. I am toying with the idea of building what you have with this rig. But running the 3.4 motor.
we will see what happens. A buggy would be a lot of fun also, but might get in over my head with that.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
My tacoma only has about 1.5" of up travel. It has more wheel up travel since the tire is out away from the frame. Only thing I don't like about it is on hard bumps it bottoms out pretty good.