Street-legal buggys - It Passed!

UFAB

Back spacing not so great. Light touch on max turn. Hits lwr control arm. Not bad.

Seriously beefy tires.

Front dual rate bar install next week. Pneumatic switch function.

So far no problems with the law.

I personally called all the local police departments where I drive to double check.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

UFAB

Parts runner.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1403725030286.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1403725030286.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 71
  • uploadfromtaptalk1403725047057.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1403725047057.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 64

UFAB

Well, Got pulled over by the Mapleton PD. Actually I pulled over behind him while he was waiting for me to pass.

Cool cop, just be friendly and show documents as normally. He said something about new laws would be in effect for July 1st. Thats about it, drove away watching my rearview mirror like wow!

Trate D

Well, Got pulled over by the Mapleton PD. Actually I pulled over behind him while he was waiting for me to pass.

Cool cop, just be friendly and show documents as normally. He said something about new laws would be in effect for July 1st. Thats about it, drove away watching my rearview mirror like wow!
He probably told you to get that mall crawler dirty....:rofl:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Does anyone have a buggy or Jeep that has a changed VIN that they've been able to get insured? I'm having some real trouble. Progressive said they'd insure it but then came back and said no because the DMV changed the VIN. They pretty much told me "Good luck getting it insured with that new vin" which was great customer service.

I wouldn't care about insurance if it wasn't for the fact that I want to be able to register it as street legal. Grrrrrrrrr

The lame thing is that the DMV changed their rules for titling as an OHV and they don't even change VIN numbers now! I would've had no trouble...

sixstringsteve

Just go back and ask them to change it. I find the DMV to be very reasonable and easy to work with. They're famous for awesome customer service. All you have to do is ask.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But seriously, that sucks.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
GEICO and USAA have both insured my OHV (new VIN) TJ. Geico was easier, but I'm sure a claim would have been a pain. USAA was ugly, took multiple days talking to multiple people.

N-Smooth

Just go back and ask them to change it. I find the DMV to be very reasonable and easy to work with. They're famous for awesome customer service. All you have to do is ask.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But seriously, that sucks.

Haha thanks...?

GEICO and USAA have both insured my OHV (new VIN) TJ. Geico was easier, but I'm sure a claim would have been a pain. USAA was ugly, took multiple days talking to multiple people.

I'll contact both of those, thanks for the info! I'm so sick of this!

R

rockdog

So when you registered it as an OHV, they gave you a new VIN?

When we registered our crawlers originally, ( I'm sure Nates xj was the same) they took the title away from you and gave you a green sticker to put over the original vin. They wouldn't give you a new title and the lady I dealt with said to me, and I quote ( good luck selling this thing in the future with no title) Sorry, I'm unable to quote that with the tone of voice and sneer on her face over the net!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
When we registered our crawlers originally, ( I'm sure Nates xj was the same) they took the title away from you and gave you a green sticker to put over the original vin. They wouldn't give you a new title and the lady I dealt with said to me, and I quote ( good luck selling this thing in the future with no title) Sorry, I'm unable to quote that with the tone of voice and sneer on her face over the net!

When I did mine, I got a new title with it. I think most DMV offices just make it up as they go.

N-Smooth

I did one for my old XJ chuggy in '04. They took the old title, had me remove the factory vin, gave me a new one and had an officer check it. Then they gave me a new title that said OHV and I registered it accordingly.

So I went into the DMV in January and they did the same thing. When I was finishing the paperwork they said "oh, we shouldn't have done it this way... We changed that policy."

My buddy went in around March and they didn't make him get a new vin or change his title- they simply registered it as an OHV so he doesn't have to modify his insurance or anything. I got screwed!