street legal ?

X1994J

XJ's Bring the Uni-Suck
I 4-linked my Cherokee and have been driving it on the street. Had an Em./Insp. done. I haven't freeway'd it yet, but I have been driving it around plenty.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I don't see why not unless its too tall for the lift laws or its a piss poor job and they catch you on safety.

Cascadia

Undecided
I've got a triangulated 4 link with no trac bar and I just passed safety a couple months ago. I take it on the freeway too and it drives great.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Sure. See: Land Rover, Lincoln Continental, et al

EDIT: oops, those are more air BAGS I suppose, but they act as suspension, regardless. :D And so smoooooth

Last edited:

Coco

Air shocks, yes. As long as they support the vehicles weight (i.e no leaking or anything.)

I am planning on 4 linking my truck sometime in the future. just dont know when

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
staight from the book. it doesn't say you can't but there is a blanket for not upt o OEM quality.

B. RAISING VEHICLES
1. Check the braking and steering system components.
a. REJECT when:
1) Braking or steering systems have been altered, modified, disconnected or changed in any manner that may impair the safe operation of the vehicle.
2. Check vehicle lift. (Utah Lift Law UCA 41-6a-1631)
a. REJECT when:
1) Frame height is greater than 24 inches on a vehicle with a GVWR less than 4,500 lbs.
2) Frame height is greater than 26 inches on a vehicle with a GVWR of 4,500 lbs. and less than 7,500 lbs.
3) Frame height is greater than 28 inches on a vehicle with a GVWR of 7,500 lbs. or more.
NOTE: Vehicle must be on a flat surface and unladen for all measurements. Frame height measurement is from the ground to the bottom of the frame and should be taken on the left side of the vehicle under the driver’s seat. If the door certification plate has been removed, the vehicle shall be considered to be 4,500 lbs.
3. Check the body lifts above the frame. (Title 41-6a-1631 UCA)
a. REJECT when:
1) Lowest part of body floor is raised more than 3” above top of frame.
4. Check vehicle for front and rear axle blocks. (UCA 41-6a-1630)
a. REJECT when:
1) Axle blocks have been added to the front axle.
2) There are stacked blocks on the rear axle. The stacking of axle blocks is prohibited. (UCA 41-6a-1631(g))
3) There are stacked frames.
Note: Two blocks that have been welded together are still considered to be stacked blocks and are in violation of UCA 41-6a-1631(g).

Ima9er

Crazy Man
i talked to a police officer and he looked at my jeep, which is 4 linked and stretched to 112" wheel base, with full width axles, the only thing he said to me was i needed fender flares, and mirrors. also he didn't say anything about mine being full hydro for steering. my yj leans really bad in the back so im going to put on a cheap stock yj rear sway bar and i think ill pass.

broncofntc

i talked to a police officer and he looked at my jeep, which is 4 linked and stretched to 112" wheel base, with full width axles, the only thing he said to me was i needed fender flares, and mirrors. also he didn't say anything about mine being full hydro for steering. my yj leans really bad in the back so im going to put on a cheap stock yj rear sway bar and i think ill pass.

did you get a pass in writing on the full hydro? I thought it had to be mechanical..
thanks gorillaxj thats good info.

Ima9er

Crazy Man
no he didn't say anyting, he looked at the front of my axle and said steering works? i told him yes, everything works except fender flares and mirrors. he then proceeded to tell me as long as i have those items ill be good to go. now i'm going to ask my buddy if the full hydro will stop me, he owns big o tires downtown, so he'll know for sure, and ill post back up on here and let ya know.

stimmie

Was it a city police officer or a UHP? Safety inspections are part of the Dept. of Public Safety which is the highway patrol. I'd trust a UHP over city cop when it comes to safety on vehicles.

Coco

FULL hydro steering will NOT pass safety, but hydro assist will pass, and yes UHP is the ones you need to talk too, not a city cop.

CJenson

I would be willing to bet some inspection guys would not know the difference between full hydraulic and hydraulic assist steering. but I believe it says right in the inspection manual that it needs to have a mechanical link on the steering system.

reddman

Fabber
FULL hydro steering will NOT pass safety, but hydro assist will pass, and yes UHP is the ones you need to talk too, not a city cop.

There is a healthy bounty available on pirate if anyone can actually show proof of a law prohibiting hydraulic steering. Nobody has ever claimed it.

Brakes have stipulations requiring hydraulic service brakes and a mechanical P-brake, but nobody has EVER shown proof of hydro steering being illegal. I know the Utah lift law (HB49) doesn't touch it, it just falls under the blanket statement of OEM quality/strength or better.

The whole "hydro is illegal" thing is just another one of those false internet rules (like the upper links must be 75% of the lower links length "rule") that is so widespread that most everyone believes it. Now it's certainly possible for an inspector to fail you for it based on their own misunderstanding of the laws or their judgement of it's safety, but if done well there's no legal reason it should fail.

Last edited:

Spidey

no he didn't say anything, he looked at the front of my axle and said steering works? i told him yes, everything works except fender flares and mirrors. he then proceeded to tell me as long as i have those items ill be good to go. now i'm going to ask my buddy if the full hydro will stop me, he owns big o tires downtown, so he'll know for sure, and ill post back up on here and let ya know.

How about bumpers with that 112 wheelbase?