Stretching the TJ - finally

Bart

I bought this 99 TJ about 9 months ago and loved everything but the old short arm suspension with worn bushings. I decided since I was going to long arm it any way, why not stretch the wheelbase while I was at it. I managed to find a used GenRight EXT tank and then found a GenRight TJ stretch kit from an individual that had bought it and lost funding for the rest of his build. The timing and prices were too good to pass up. The last piece to fall into place was I had a set of GenRight shorty corners for an LJ I’d purchased that were sitting in my garage. I managed to trade those back to GenRight, plus some cash for a set of the full GenRight stretch corners, with the modified fuel filler opening.

I got the kits and corners all just before and during Easter Safari 2010, and since there was no rush after that, the parts had been sitting in my garage since then. I needed to make room to get the cars and bike in the garage before winter so it was finally time to do the install. Luckily I have my good buddy Matt with his enclosed shop with a lift and all kinds of great tools so we set last Saturday for the date.

We started by dropping the fuel tank, rear axle and suspension. Matt is a master with the torch so he cut the control arm and track bar mounts from the frame and axle. I took a cut off wheel and removed the upper spring bucket mounts from the frame. It was lots of grinding and manicuring after that. We measured and mounted the frame side control arm brackets then moved the upper coil buckets back about 5”. After that it was all cleaning up and painting, the bare metal. I also had to cut the rear body wheel openings where I’d marked it for the new stretch corners to fit.

GR1.jpg

GR3.jpg

GR4.jpg

GR6.jpg

GR8.jpg

GR11.jpg

We mounted the truss on the rear axle and then installed the new (used) GenRight fuel tank. From there it was just measuring arm lengths and building them with the provided tube and inserts. It was so cool to see it almost complete and sitting on its own at the end of the day. Great day for a project and most everything seemed to go well.

GR12.jpg

GR13.jpg

GR17.jpg

Things left to do. Extend and complete rear brake line, axle vent, rear ARB line, lengthen rear driveline, exhaust, paint rear control arms, paint corners, mount new Light Dot LED tail lights, mount license plate in new location…

Cascadia

Undecided
I'd say the same...shoulda picked up my LJ back in the day. But I guess when you can do the whole stretch in a day or pay the extra money for the LJ, I'd go for the stretch also. Hope it all goes well for you, looks like all the hard parts are done.

Bart

Sounds like it need to come south for some testing :D

Would love to make it for Thanksgiving, but prolly won't be before EJS.

Maybe you should have just picked up an LJ to start with???

Oh wait, nevermind.............. :rofl:

I should have kept the yeller short bus.

I'd say the same...shoulda picked up my LJ back in the day. But I guess when you can do the whole stretch in a day or pay the extra money for the LJ, I'd go for the stretch also. Hope it all goes well for you, looks like all the hard parts are done.

I was still thinking about your LJ until I started cutting on Saturday. I need to come pick up that hardware still. Trying to wheel this thing on Saturday and need to mount the new sliders.

looking good bart. are you planning on running shorter coils in the rear? frenching the rear frame seems to always result in an increased ride height.

I'm waiting to see how it sits with the new steel corners. I have a set of 3" springs in the garage. I'm still looking for some front fenders if you know of any. :greg:

I spy a RockLogic hoodie.... :D

Lookin' good Bart.

Good eye Greg. Have to have something to cut and weld in.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I thought I got rid of my RL hoody when I let the X gf keep it after I rescued my 4runner back... But then I married her and it came back. It's a dedicated garage project hoody.

Awesome days work Bart! When Carl finally pulls his head out and expands his garage another 10' high with a lift i'll be over there a lot more. ;)

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
nice work! that kicks the rear back nicely.
Im seriously jealous of matts shop, I would love to have a lift!

blackjeep

i'm looking at doing this exact thing to my tj in a few months. i would love to see some pics of how you did the rear coil spring perch on the frame end, and what you did with your shocks. looks good!

redrockrover

Bart,

lookin good as always. I love to follow you projects so keep us updated. Seems like you switch rigs as often as i go wheeling these days. Good for you sad for me. Ha ha.

Bart

i'm looking at doing this exact thing to my tj in a few months. i would love to see some pics of how you did the rear coil spring perch on the frame end, and what you did with your shocks. looks good!

If I were to do it over again, I'd french the upper coil buckets into the frame. We just trimmed them as much as possible, pushed them back 5" and then built a filler for the front end.

The shocks are in the stock location and we notched the axle side coil buckets. I may end up moving the shocks to the front of the axle. As of now it's going to be tricky to find a place to run the exhaust.

Bart,

lookin good as always. I love to follow you projects so keep us updated. Seems like you switch rigs as often as i go wheeling these days. Good for you sad for me. Ha ha.

Thanks Russ, good to see you hanging around. Hope life is good for you.

Bart

Finished up the rear quarters over the weekend. Ended up opening up the wheel wells on the new panels a bit and should be able to fit 37s if I want to. Painted the corners and installed the new LiteDots and third brake light. Just need to install the rockers and I'm finished with this project.

GR18.jpg

GR19.jpg

GR20.jpg

GR21.jpg