Stupid idea (SxS Portal hubs on a car)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Been thinking about this for awhile, wanted to write it down and see what others think.

It would be pretty bitchen to adapt a set of portal hubs for a SxS onto some kind of AWD car, that has a decently capable AWD system. Something smaller, less weight for less chance of breakage. I don't want to say a Subaru, but it might be a good choice? :eek:

SxS's are getting pretty damn big & powerful these days and they're running bigger & bigger tires. If the weight and HP are getting close, why wouldn't they work on a car? You can get a set of dual idler portals with a variety of lift heights and gear reduction ratios, 30%-60%? Dual idler would be stronger far as the actual gears are concerned. I've seen 4" lift portals to 8" lift or more, which is insane. I think 4" lift and a 30% reduction would make up for larger tires and give more gearing for offroad, since a car will lack low range. Run a light weight 31-33" tire, if it would fit in the wheel well. Looks like portals cost around $4k for a set of 4.

The places see issues with this are getting the shaft splines to work at the portal hub, the car brakes, steering, control arm mounts, etc. But since both are a-arm vehicles, how hard could it be? (famous last words)

I don't know how well they'd do at freeway speeds over time, I know that's been a issue with portals in the past and SxS parts aren't really designed for that kind of stuff.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Honda Ridgeline 1000000%

I think an actual car would be better, even though a Ridgeline is only about 5% truck.

My Pro R 4 has a five lug wheel. It’s 5 on 4 1/2. That would make it easier to get some portals adapted to it

That's good to know! Pretty common bolt pattern.

What about a tracker or a side kick?? They aren't full time I will drive but they're relatively small, small bolt pattern, 1.0-1.3l engine?

Or, since we are being practical, how about a dodge stealth/ Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4

A Tracker or Sidekick with portals would probably be quite capable, honestly! Leaving the IFS, it would be less prone to breaking CV joints... run 35" tires and it would be a mini version of the new Bronco's running portals in the KOH Stock class.

An AWD turbo Stealth would be badass!

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
The Colt Vista was a station wagon/hatchback looking thing with four wheel drive and a low range transfer case. Almost as ugly as an Aztec but Dad's went everywhere. Put portals under that .

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
I had this pipe dream pertaining to a couple of subaru cars I had - my 05 outback sedan, and my 19 crosstrek. I imagined how great it would be to get some lift, some gear reduction to compensate for a 31 or 32" tire and all that extra clearance.
I've seen the werewold portals from Ukraine, and a few others for jeeps and toyotas, just wish there was something for that smaller car market - seems like the overland subaru crowd has money to burn, and this would be a shiny new thing.
I fully aknowledge that I could have been too cheap to buy them for my cars, but I'd love to see them exist.

STAG

On my grind
I was starting to work on and gather parts for something similar. That’s why I picked up that ‘97 accord that I had (for the 2.2L I4 and trans) and the samurai diffs and Suzuki SX4 cv axles.

Was going to do home-brew portals.

I have had such project in mind for a long time but haven’t made come to fruition yet. I’ve been wanting to build it for backcountry exploring without the noise of the SXS engine.

I keep thinking someday I’ll build it. And I know the body I want to put on it too.

I just need the garage space and lots of time.

My goal was always sub 2k lbs total weight.