Subaru...getting past the hype

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I think most people are embarrassed their beloved Subarus get sh!tty mileage so they lie and say its better than 25mpg....
I don't see any reason to lie about it. 25 mpg in an AWD car isn't embarrassing to me. FWIW ours was not a turbo 2.5. I have no experience with them, but I imagine they would not see the 29 mpg that we saw based on the fuel economy numbers generated by the gub'ment.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Owning a repair shop in Broomfield, Colorado, all I see are Subarus. I cut my teeth at sixteen in an old GL wagon. That said, they are parts hogs. They eat timing belts, water pumps, cam and crank seals and belt tensioners. If you go used, make sure you get one that has been serviced regularly. We towed a 2001 with 190,000 miles, 10,000 miles after its second timing belt was replaced, the motor was blown up because the tensioner and idler pulley let go and wadded up the belt at the crank. $3,300 worth of damage to a car worth $3,400...... The valve covers leak like crazy and the mileage we've seen is not that good. I think most people are embarrassed their beloved Subarus get sh!tty mileage so they lie and say its better than 25mpg.... Regardless, I am an Audi guy all day long. A4, Allroad and A3. I miss the twin turbo Allroad. Too bad my family got bigger than those cars could handle...

I think any mechanic that works on a specific vehicle will be able to say this about what they work on.. so that doesn't mean much to me :p

Yes Subies are known for, head-gaskets, and valve covers that leak. Timing belts go out on all vehicles unfortunately some of the Subaru's (not all) are interference motors.. so change the timing belt at the correct intervals and you are good to go :). then again basic maintenance on any vehicle will help it last a lot longer than just ignoring it.

MPG - all of my Sub's have gotten around 25 MPG.. no embarrassment there.. and I have a lead foot. I haven't had a Turbo yet :( so I can't speak to them.

DOSS

I'd really like to know more about this? what year/model range are you talking?

you will have to search for it.. I never did it to my cars as I didn't think it was needed so I didn't care to much about doing it.. Look on the Subaru forums it was on almost all of the outback and forester forums out there.. simple 2 wire switch.. just can't remember the wires you have to hook into :)

Great input folks. I'll have to see what she thinks about the RAV4. I've rented them and they are pretty decent. Who knows, maybe she'll think it's "cute" enough. The interweb says they have a limited slip...but....how do you know if it does?

Budget? No idea. Less is better, but we'll probably end up with a 2yo version of whatever she likes. Looks like '08's are going in the mid-teens. Probably don't wanna go over $20k...and like I said above, if nothing really fits the bill and she holds on to the minivan, a cheap XJ would more than work, plus provide a car for my 14yo (who has big plans of driving my jeep).

I agree it's all about the tires. There were three AWD vehicles up at the cabin a couple weeks ago. One had decent street treads and had little problem, other than Glass Hill (sheet ice). The other two sucked: one had worn tires, the other had uber-kewl-caddy tires that sucked. On that weekend I also got stuck in 6" of snow (on top of 6" base) in front of the garage and had to chain up. Last weekend I didn't have any problem at all in the same spot.

Sometimes the road isn't totally plowed, so some clearance is necessary.

Agree with the tire selection, my cousin has some snow tires on his outback that make pitbulls look tame. It'd be fun to have a stickshift car again...

grinch

inner city redneck
I had a 2008 2.5 impreza until this summer. Should never have gotten rid of it. I loved this car. I drove parleys canyon for 2 winters it least 5 times a week for work and never had traction issues. That being said I never saw over 20 MPG on an average tank. The gas mileage was not there for a 4 cyl car but it sure was fun to drive.

Freeriders98

Haven't seen it mentioned yet. But we have a 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor that is AWD. It does amazing in the snow, even with not so great tires!! I get 17 MPG pretty much no matter what, around town, 90MPH hwy, 65 HWY... And they typically run a little cheaper than Toyota or Subi because it is a Mits. Ours is ready to roll over 100k mile, had it since 46k and haven't had a single problem. Has been a great car! Our 2004 KBB right now at like $7500 I think.

Pulling up this thread again...except it's my dad trading in his '95 Avalon for something with 4wd or AWD, mainly to get up to our cabin. That's the criteria.

Looking at the Subaru's in his price range (up to $5000) he's gonna have head-gasket problems. He can get a 2004-2005 Ford Escape for the same amount. Anyone driven these?

Since it's all about the tires, I'm thinking any reliable AWD or 4wd will do the trick. It's gotta have decent power though, Parley's sucks if you don't have the juice to get back up to speed after a slow down.

He's also open to XJ, ZJ and WJ cherokees. Looking on KSL, I saw a couple of WJ's with 4.7's. Reliability and maintenance costs are key.

$5000...best bang for the buck...what would you get?

DOSS

I disagree that in the under 5K range he is going to have head-gasket problems.. I picked up my outback with a new rebuilt engine for 4K...

I hated driving the Ford Escape.. just felt cheezy to me and I didn't fit comfortably. 6'4"...

If you do pick up a RU.. do find one that is a manual.. it will help with getting back up to speed on parleys then again XJ's don't do very good getting back up to speed on parleys and they have a 4.0 :)

Best bang for buck is going to be a RU for the fuel economy.. but a Jeep will get your further..

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I am surprised at how many have owned a Subaru... I only see lesbo looking, tree hugging, Obama stickered chicks in them.. This is boggling my mind :confused: I must have a pre-conceived notion or something...

chadschoon

I have a 2006 STI. It doesn't sound like that's what your looking for but it does amazing in the snow. Plus all wheel drive doughnuts are the best haha

LT.

I own an Escape. I usually hate Fords with a passion but, this little SUV is an awesome rig. In our fleet it is called the "slut" of the fleet. It gets used for everything and I have never had a major break down on it yet. In the fall of 2008 I put a battery in it. That is all I have done other than the normal maintence. Changed the tranny fluid once, put two sets of tires on it, and regular oil changes. I have gotten a best of almost 30 mpg and average about 20 mpg in town and mid to high 20's on the highway. My only gripe about it is that it is cheaply insulated. Going down the road there is a lot of road noise and this is made worse due to the agressive Falken tires I run on it. It sits on a 245/75/16 tires. The metric equivelent to a 31" tire. Power everything and it is a comfortable rig just not much for extended highway travel due to the insulation. My brother is a die hard Subaru fan and I think the Escape is a better vehicle in some ways. More ground clearance, made in the good ol' USA, and is easier to get parts for.

The Subaru is better in the mileage department, some models have more room, Forester for example, and are great cars. No doubt about it.

LT.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I have a 2006 STI. It doesn't sound like that's what your looking for but it does amazing in the snow. Plus all wheel drive doughnuts are the best haha

You are my new Idle. I have wanted an STI since I saw them in 03 at the car show in SLC. I will have one someday just not yet.

Houndoc

I have been looking for a new rig and started our searching for Subarus in the same price range. Honestly was not that impressed with what I was finding (the head gasket thing kept coming to my mind as well.)

My focus has now shifted to half-ton pickups. Not near the fuel economy but much for versitle.

Have liked the ones I owned in the past....although the last was an '84.

Eric_

I loved my subaru while I had it. I had an '07 2.5 Impreza. After I scraped the snow off of my windshield, I just drove out of this:
subarusnow.png

Back in the hunt. Van is dying and she's ready to move on.

She added the following criteria: Needs 25-30mpg and can't need an alignment everytime she takes it to the cabin. This seems to be an issue with my sister's Mazda CX7.

Also, would like 7 passenger if possible, but 5 pass is ok. Minivan apparently is getting 13-16mpg. 225miles a week, 15-17 gallons per fillup, $200/mo for gas.

Thinking she needs to drive a rav4. Escape too boxy.

Sure don't want a new car payment.

Brett

Bart

I'm in the same boat and leaning toward a new Suby Impreza wagon for Janeal. I'll have to go drive a Rav4.

kgb

Volvo wagon? We have a 01 V70 Cross Country not sure what the mileage is wife drives it think it is in the 20's fits 7 and is AWD has leather power everything and got no payment.

Update: still haven't pulled the trigger on anything. Dempsey let us test drive a bunch of different vehicles a few weeks ago, and now we're just waiting on some other house stuff to settle down and then we'll get something (through Dempsey).

My kids and I really like the RAV4 but my wife likes the Outback.

Yesterday I rented a Jeep Compass for a drive to Casper WY. It was a decent little car. Little is the key word. Got 26mpg on the way up, 20 and 23 on the way back (nasty headwind). The CVT was pretty cool and was always in the right gear. It had the 2.4L engine, and was decent. Back seat is so small that even my 9yo commented on how small it was. I climbed in the back and it was small. If she liked it I would consider getting one. She still wants an Outback.

Attachments

• 2012-12-13_09-41-35_735.jpg
    2012-12-13_09-41-35_735.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: