Subaru Outbacks

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Alright.. alright. I'll admit it.

I kinda sorta like this car even though I wanted to set it on fire recently. It is quiet and comfortable (in the drivers seat anyway) and it kicks butt in the snow! It also makes me want to drive to far off places (and hopefully not break down).

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Looking for an excuse to put some miles on the Subaru my daughter and I decided to check out the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge. I was hoping to do a writeup of sorts, but the visitors center was closed and I am teeeeerrrrriiibblleee at wildlife photography. Birds everywhere and I couldn't even get a picture of a duck...... haha :rolleyes: Although the winter months aren't considered the best for bird populations we did see a surprising amount including falcons, lots of hawks and even a bald eagle. I wouldn't mind getting back out there when it warms up.

DSC04072_zpszuvvjogv.jpg

DSC04074_zpseapp7jrq.jpg

DSC04076_zps0tv3qsf6.jpg

DSC04077_zpsgdc7ur87.jpg

DSC04080_zpslrustitj.jpg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
My brother and I took the kids sledding today. We met up at my sweet rustic cabin shown in the background :p

There was lots of snow! After a lot of thinking I came to the conclusion that Subaru's AWD could only be made of unicorn horns and Chuck Norris tears. I thought for sure I'd get stuck---nope!

IMG_3557_zpsyxt4gbkn.jpg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I was just informed that the massive airbag recall includes Subaru's like mine (LOTS of other cars are effected too). Apparently the airbag inflators can explode and send shrapnel into your face which may or may not kill you. Lots of injuries.. Some deaths so far.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/massiv...now-including-full-list-of-affected-vehicles/

Word on the street is replacement airbags are on a national backorder and Subaru is insisting that the passenger seat remains vacant until the replacement is installed... Ugh.

I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and hopefully get more information and my name on the waiting list.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Long story but somebody might find it helpful.

So my wife and her friend were planning on taking the kids to Arizona for spring break in the Subaru. Looks like that is not going to happen..

We called Young Subaru and they insisted that NOBODY!! rides in the passenger seat until the airbag is fixed. We are now on the national waiting list and they expected the new bag to arrive sometime around late April or May :ugh:

Turns out after calling Subaru's customer service they are more than happy to get us into a loaner vehicle free of charge. We drop off our car at the dealer and take home a 2016 Forester that is ours to keep until the car is fixed. Well that was until we found out we can't take dealer plates across state lines and we have a trip to AZ planned..

They are working with Enterprise to get us into a comparable vehicle until our airbag is fixed. Yeah it sucks but I thought this was pretty cool of them and they have been more than helpful.

Holy shiz that's a huge recall!! Thanks for posting that link.

I had no idea until I jumped on the Subaru forum last night. I guess my generation of Outback was recently added to a growing list of vehicles.

Last edited:

Corban_White

Saw the link on Monday, my 2002 Civic is in the shop getting new parts today. You could always just disconnect the airbags until subaru gets their act together.....

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
You could always just disconnect the airbags until subaru gets their act together.....

That thought did cross my mind. Long story short I dropped it off at the dealer yesterday. They expect to see the new bags sometime around late April or May :ugh:

In the meantime I am driving a 2016 Legacy (Subaru is paying rental fees until my car is fixed). Subaru really stepped it up on this car... It's really-really nice.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Crap... They made me give back the 2016 Legacy-----BOOOO!!!! :-\ :(

They finished my car yesterday which was much sooner than any of us had expected. They've been rushing cars through for those with loaner vehicles and those in high humidity climates. Sounds like large shipments are coming in though so hopefully no more shortage/backorders.

I have to say I am very impressed with the way both Subaru and the Young Subaru dealer of Ogden handled all of this. I am very-very satisfied :cool:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
So this happened today: //www.ksl.com/auto/listing/2798704

Long story but yep, the Outback is for sale. It's been 4k miles since the head gasket repairs and everything seems great.

We're looking at vans now.. And not cool vans like Steve's :ugh:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
You mean vans like, a JKU? Mbryson's is probly for sale again.

LOL! Kinda like that only it doesn't say J$#p on it :D

Not all minivans are sad.

Now you're talkin!

Did you sell it already?

I took the add down for now. After being bombarded with tire kickers, scammers and spam I decided I'm not ready to try and sell another car on KSL just yet.

That and I finally realized we were being completely irrational (I have a bad habit of doing that :eek:) and this will be a great car for us once I figure out how to fix or replace the atrocious front seats..

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Alright so just ignore post 75. I have a habit of doing that with pretty much every vehicle/bike I've ever owned and I'm not sure why haha :ugh:

Anyway I mentioned the atrocious front seats.. The driver side is not bad because it is fully adjustable. The passenger side is not fully adjustable and it was downright brutal for me or my wife to ride in for any length of time. The lumbar sticks out really-really far and it was torture on my lower back. I searched online and found similar complaints but didn't really find a fix or remedy for it aside from swapping the seats out entirely which I did not want to do.

This morning I pulled the rear panel off determined to cut, remove or destroy whatever it was that is making the lumbar stick out so far. Turns out there are two large springs that push against the foam in this area. I tugged on the springs and stretched them a little bit at a time until I got the results I wanted. YAY! That certainly did the trick. Still supportive and firm but no more bulge.

Here's the springs:
IMG_3781_zps0i6dwwq6.jpg