Suggestions on a GPS

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I'm looking to get a portable GPS for hiking, weeling, road trips, etc. Any one have experience or suggestions for one in the $250 range? Also where did you buy it?

thanks

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The rhino gps that also has a 2 way radio seems pretty cool, but I no nothing about gps.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I second the "Garmin" name on it. I have liked all of the ones I have played with. I use an old 12XL that is great because it is basic. But I find that it is useless without a compass. That is one feature that would be a must on a new one is a built in compass. If you take road trips something that has built on mapping software would be cool, but if you are like me you would never use that.

Caleb

check out this thread, it has some good info and suggestions in it...prolly still the same suggestions you will get from this thread.

4thefamily

Rhino too expensive

mesha said:
The rhino gps that also has a 2 way radio seems pretty cool, but I no nothing about gps.

I was also thinking this until I went to buy it and I could buy two 2 way radios (nice ones) and the cheapest Garmin (not yellow,but same one that is camo) for cheaper than the rhino cost. We have loved ours use it to go Geocaching all of the time. Fun for the whole family.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Just in case it hasn't sunk in yet, make sure you buy one made by Garmin! Garmin is the Warn of GPS. Magellan is the Ramsey... :-\

Turbobob

Semper Fi
I have to agree on the garmin recomendation! I used to have a GPS II plus and now have a 60CS. Garmin makes some great software(Topo maps, metroguide/Cityselect). Being a Garmin Aviation dealer, I know from experience that Garmin has the best product out. :D

tiny2085

HomeGrown
I personally use the garmin legend. It was about 160$ from galyans and works hella good. I dinked around with it a few times by the house, then I took it with my two buddies and I into the high uintas when we went elk hunting. We traced our trail in to where we set up (3.9 miles) and then at the end of the day I told it to find the point i marked as truck and it took us back to the truck and I followed it untill it said I was 1 foot away and i was able to touch the truck from where i was. Oh, and it was only 2.4 miles back to the truck becasue it took the most direct path. I am very impressed with it. IT tells you a crap load of stuff. avg. speed, constant speed, elevation, direction, hunting and fihsing maps, time, moon phases, city streets and exits, and whats at the exits. It's a realy nice unit i think, but for afew more $$$ you can get the garmin legend C which is exactly the same but with a color screen. if you want an integrated 2wqy radio get the rhino 2??. it has a 5 sided antenna instead of the patch antenna like mine, not a real big issue, but if you do a lot of mountain stuff it helps a lot.

Jay5.9L

I have been doing some reasearch and think I'll end up with a Garmin. The Magellen Sport Track Pro was about $269 but it seem a bit lacking.

I like the Etrex Vista C but at $300 plus it on the expensive side. Does the legend C have a compas? Its about mid $200s

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I have a Garmin Etrex Legend that has been a superb companion... 8mb has been more than enough for me. I took it on every wheeling/camping trip I went on this summer. I download the info onto my computer using AllTopo Utah, it is sweet!

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
Here's the unit I'm the most familiar with. The GNS 430/A it tracks you to within 3feet at 150knots, can bring you down on a gps approach in zero/zero, identifies closest airports, VORs, ADFs, NDBs, has trip planning, stored frequencies at all airports, airport diagrams, services available, you can plot holding patterns, and a bunch of other fun stuff! I'd still like an EFB though but the $1000 to $15000 price tag are putting that on hold.

Attachments

• gns430Hi.jpg
    gns430Hi.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 6

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Jay5.9L said:
I have been doing some reasearch and think I'll end up with a Garmin. The Magellen Sport Track Pro was about $269 but it seem a bit lacking.

I like the Etrex Vista C but at $300 plus it on the expensive side. Does the legend C have a compas? Its about mid $200s

Yes the Legend C does have a built in compass you can see their feature comparison page here http://www.garmin.com/outdoor/compare.jsp.
One thing I found with the Magellen versus Garmin is that the Garmin acquired an accurate reading MUCH faster than the Magellen. My brother with his Magellen and me with my Garmin would find Geocaches at the same time, he would literally walk around in in a large spiral for about 10 minutes until he found the cache, the Garmin would just point to the right place.

Jay5.9L

The only difference I saw between the Legend C and the Vista Cwas tha the vista had "Built-In Electronic Compass" and "Built-In Barometric Altimeter"

So does the Legend have these as well but not built in (it get its info from the sky?)

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Jay5.9L said:
The only difference I saw between the Legend C and the Vista Cwas tha the vista had "Built-In Electronic Compass" and "Built-In Barometric Altimeter"

So does the Legend have these as well but not built in (it get its info from the sky?)

They can tell your altitude from a satellite calculation, but it is not very accurate as compared to a barometric altimeter. It is the difference of being +/- a few hundred feet, verses 20 feet. If altitude is important to you, it may be worth the barometric.