Summit Machine June '08 Run - AF Canyon, Forest Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slacker

I hit the parking lot at about 11:00 but, didn't see anybody in the group. So I hooked up with a couple of other rigs and we headed up to the lake. We were about 30 minutes ahead of everyone else. It was a nice day and great fun thanks to all.

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee27/chrjacc7/?action=view&current=spring2008170.jpg
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee27/chrjacc7/?action=view&current=spring2008172.jpg
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee27/chrjacc7/?action=view&current=spring2008174.jpg
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee27/chrjacc7/?action=view&current=spring2008165.jpg

BLH

So how the trip go? River still pretty high, how about the snow in the tree area melted yet.

RockChucker

i was up there saturday, but not with the group as i had to work, so i went early, and there was a little snow in the tree area and i little by the sides of the trail elsewhere in little random spots. it was good fun.

kbjames

This is where the trailhead starts.

There is a creek/small river you must cross and thats how you know you are there.

Kalen

Attachments

• Forrest Lake TrailHead.kmz
    665 bytes · Views: 20

kbjames

I was hoping someone could clarify for me where the Mineral Basin trail starts. I've read in some places its the dirt road that leaves east from Tribble Fork. I was under the impression that it is the NFS service road 007 which is not too far from the old Pittsburg Lake turnoff. I was hoping someone could post a kmz file as to where this trail actually starts. Three weekends ago, I went up there and went thru a section that sure seemed like a rock garden to me, but wasn't sure if that was the actual place.

Thanks,

Kalen

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Does Google Maps cost money all of a sudden?? :p

Seriously though, you can hop in google maps and answer all of these questions and more in just minute. Better yet, check out the Forest Service map of the area... again free and easily found by searching the internet or even here on RME.

I for one am growing uncomfortable giving directions to someone that can't even use an internet search engine or simple website. I could be liable when they run out of gas and starve sitting on their cooler ;)

Last edited:

dungbeetle

Since this is a forum, making a simple request for information often gets you more than just the answer. In this case, it not only verified that the trailhead I had picked to be the Forest Lake trail was correct, it let others know that I was interested in driving that trail, and could have elicited responses from other forum members who were interested in getting together to do the trail. It also opened a discussion about another trail that might be interesting. Furthermore, in the case of responses from vendors, it gives you some idea what kind of customer service you will get if you buy something from them.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Since this is a forum, making a simple request for information often gets you more than just the answer. In this case, it not only verified that the trailhead I had picked to be the Forest Lake trail was correct, it let others know that I was interested in driving that trail, and could have elicited responses from other forum members who were interested in getting together to do the trail. It also opened a discussion about another trail that might be interesting. Furthermore, in the case of responses from vendors, it gives you some idea what kind of customer service you will get if you buy something from them.

Furthermore there is an upcoming trip section to plan an invite others, I personally consider it rude to hijack the thread of another thread, be it by bombarding it with questions or turning it into your trip report.

Further furthermore, in the case of being a vendor, if a customer called me and asked me how to find something in their owners manual, I would tell them to search ;). I don't consider it rude or poor customer service, rather educational. You'll find I've contributed my fair share of trail information, trail legality status, etc over the years here on RME... If you wish to discuss this further start a new thread.

kbjames

Cruiseroutfit,

I'm not sure who your comments were directed at, but I did use Google quite extensivly before asking what the Mineral Basin trail actually refers to when used in threads on this site. After finding only vague information I asked a simple question and not sure what you have your knickers in a twist over.

If said posts were nothing more than tongue in cheek then I consider myself welcomed to the site.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Cruiseroutfit,

I'm not sure who your comments were directed at, but I did use Google quite extensivly before asking what the Mineral Basin trail actually refers to when used in threads on this site. After finding only vague information I asked a simple question and not sure what you have your knickers in a twist over.

If said posts were nothing more than tongue in cheek then I consider myself welcomed to the site.

No knickers in a twist here... and it was more of a tongue in cheek tease at the ineptitude that it seemingly becoming more and more common and the apparent hijacking of this thread, again no harm no foul.

Best map for the canyon:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/uinta/maps/brochures/2004/af_canyon_trail_map.pdf
(13 seconds with a google search :D)

As far as where the Mineral Basin trails starts, depends who you are asking I suppose, seeing as it was lightly discussed in this thread, I'll use my definition... at the split between 085 (American Fork - Snake Creek) & 007 (Mineral Basin). 085 ends where the roads splits to head to Snake Creek, Wasatch State Park and Heber. To the left is 007, to the right 085 continues. :p

kbjames

Cruiser,

Good to hear, and thanks for the link to that pdf. I did eventually find that map and its a keeper.

As for the tongue in cheek stuff, its all good. I don't mind getting my balls busted as a newbie, just par for the course right? :) I've been on enough sites to know that most people don't hijack threads with malicious intent...but it can be frustrating at times for sure.

dungbeetle

Furthermore there is an upcoming trip section to plan an invite others, I personally consider it rude to hijack the thread of another thread, be it by bombarding it with questions or turning it into your trip report.

Further furthermore, in the case of being a vendor, if a customer called me and asked me how to find something in their owners manual, I would tell them to search ;). I don't consider it rude or poor customer service, rather educational. You'll find I've contributed my fair share of trail information, trail legality status, etc over the years here on RME... If you wish to discuss this further start a new thread.

If you read my original post, you'll see that all I asked was what trail route was used in the Summit trip described in the thread. Maybe you can explain how that was "hijacking the thread".

As far as your customer service policies, I guess it's up to your customers to decide how they like them. I couldn't care less.

I have to agree with Cruiseroutfit. If you can't find the Forest Service map online (or get the free one at the entry point) then you probably shouldn't be up there. People who aren't able to find/read maps are the first ones to go off trail and cause resource damage. All the roads in AF Canyon are closed, so no need to go exploring up there.

kbjames

I have to agree with Cruiseroutfit. If you can't find the Forest Service map online (or get the free one at the entry point) then you probably shouldn't be up there. People who aren't able to find/read maps are the first ones to go off trail and cause resource damage. All the roads in AF Canyon are closed, so no need to go exploring up there.

I think this is much ado being made about nothing. DungBeetle asked a simple question to verify where the trailhead is and now he's being made out to be a redneck, beer-bottle chucking, off the trail masher? I just didn't see it that way.

As for AF canyon, a buddy and me just went up there this last weekend and there are still plenty of roads open. Scout, the irony is thick here as I'm not sure where you got "All the roads in AF Canyon are closed" but it sounds like you are the one who needs to get your information correct.

I think this is much ado being made about nothing. DungBeetle asked a simple question to verify where the trailhead is and now he's being made out to be a redneck, beer-bottle chucking, off the trail masher? I just didn't see it that way.

Who said that? You don't have to be a "redneck, beer-bottle chucking, off the trail masher" to drive off-trail, be ignorant and cause damage and closures.

As for AF canyon, a buddy and me just went up there this last weekend and there are still plenty of roads open. Scout, the irony is thick here as I'm not sure where you got "All the roads in AF Canyon are closed" but it sounds like you are the one who needs to get your information correct.

I always tell everyone the roads in AF are closed. There are already too many idiots up there running around. No need to add to the overuse. Guess you didn't get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.