Super 35 kit

P

pokeyYJ

Very cool idea about the driveshafts. One last question, does RE sell a hack and tap for the YJ? I was under the impression that it was for TJ's only.

P

pokeyYJ

Cool Jeep, I have always liked XJ's. I like the no doors look also. Heres one of mine.

P

pokeyYJ

Yeah rocks are fun, but I need bigger tires (current tire 31) I try to keep the PokeyYJ clean. But for now I got to say over and out, I need some sleep!:D Thanx for your help!

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
FYI,
I put the awesome 35 with detroit in my TJ when I first got it. Yes, it is pricey, and switching over to another axle is a better way to go (I'm in the process of building a D44 rear).

However, I've been very happy with the performance of the awesome 35 kit. I've done some pretty tough obstacles with no adverse effects. Might it break eventually.....maybe, probably, but it was worth it to me for a number of reasons. One of them being it was very easy to get installed.

When I bought my ride, I had about 4 days to get it ready for Moab last easter. The awesome 35 kit was just part of the mods made to my ride by 4wpw guys. I dropped it off on a monday, and picked it up on wednesday night.

If you have the time, do a new axle of your choosing (8.8, D44...whatever), and wheel the piss out of your rig until then.

jd

ewander

I played with the idea of doing the super 35 kit, and basically, it was the cost and most importantly disc brakes that swayed me to the 8.8. You see, I am a total rookie mehcanic to say the least. So when I decided to attempt a spring over on my YJ (my little brother took a welding class in high school), it seemed like the perfect time to do the axle swap. If you don't want to do the YJ, you don't even have to mess with spring perches, the stock ones with work with a little finess. Total cost of my axle build up was 1100. That is with new brake calipers (expensive), and all the MORE kits, including the spring perches, e-brake kit, and yoke. You will need to buy a new yoke, but I would order it from Napa o somehing vs. going to through MORE (about half the price). Most junk yard 8.8's don't come with the yoke attached, or brake calipers. I went with a mini-spool to keep the cost down. If you get serious about doing the swap, let me know, and I would be more than willing to help you out. I feel like I have a much stronger axle now, and don't worry about bending the puny tubes on the dana 35. Sine I run 35" MTRs, I thought this was important. My friend however has been running the super 35 with 35's for quite a while and never had a problem. I guess that I just wanted the disk brakes.

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
The axle code for an 8.8 with 4.10's and trac-lock is D2. I've been very abusive on mine with a Detroit in it and it's held it's own.

My brother could use a D35 for cheap. Not sure what gear ratio he would need, probably 3.07 since it's a 5 speed. He wrecked his Jeep yesterday and destroyed the rear end.

P

pokeyYJ

O.K. I need the details about this pic. Why did the D 35 cause this? How do you like your mini spool?

ewander

the 35 didn't cause it, I was just looking for a good place to post that pic. Poor driving/spotting caused that!!!:eek: