Super Duty swamp recovery 7/31/2010

TonyM

Charlie don't surf
Super Duty swamp recovery (AK) 7/31/2010

After getting the SOS from a stranded out of towner stuck in the middle of nowhere in a jeep on 31s, I decided that this perticular recovery was better suited for someone who drives there rig to the trail.... after some phone calls, Rocky and Cody headed out to retrieve the stuck jeep...

After an easy extraction, someone decided it was a good idea to continue exploring this trail, and wound up burried to rocker panels in soft nasty wet Hicks style swampy muk. Cody in his jeep, could not get up out of the hill they dropped down to find this mucky goodness, but eventially was able to find an "Alternate" route out to the trail head... where he met Curtis, Jerry, Loren (SP?) and myself (I got there first however ,with everyone else about an hour behind me).

Rocky had burried his Super Duty pretty bad, and took us a few hours to get it out (Snatched block 16.5 could not get him out directly). After we attached another winch from another direction, and a little tugging, we were able to get him out, and we were all on our way. HOWEVER. The hill was so tore up, it was not really passable to get back up it, so we decided to continue along the trail, and see if we could tie it into the gunsight trail (Which according to our GPSs, was doable).

After a few hours of navigating some nasty spots, pulling some cable, etc, we hit the highway about 5 miles north of where we went in at (Which turned out to be the Gunsight trail). There is another name for it that people were throwing around... but I can't remember...

Anyway, we all made it out .Cody wound up going back in from the parkinglot and retrieving the extracted stocker jeep, and came out the way he came in...
P7310001.jpg

P7310002.jpg

P7310004.jpg

P7310003.jpg

P7310005.jpg

P7310006.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:

TonyM

Charlie don't surf
P7310007.jpg

The was the jeep we had to strap me off to to have enough weight to get that pig out...lol
P7310008.jpg

P7310009.jpg

P7310011.jpg

P7310016.jpg

P7310017.jpg

P7310021.jpg

P7310026.jpg

TonyM

Charlie don't surf
Like Alaska, but that mud does not look fun.

That stuff is nasty.. and not very fun to play in IMO. The problem is, by the time you realize what you're about to get into... you're already into it... :eek:

Swamp like that is usually bottomless, and can cause serious delays in your trip...

Mud like that will do this to a brand new bogger... you just can't spin your tires enough to clean them in that crap..

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

TonyM

Charlie don't surf
You might want to get some of those pictures off the internet. They give the greenies some good ammunition against us to close the trails.

Kevin

These are established mining trails. To say that all pictures should be taken off the net of anything that could be taken out of context means they've won anyway.

We need to stand up for the sport and recreation we love, and where ever a greenie tries to take a scenario or picture out of context, we (The offroad community) need to be there to correct it.

Obviously we can't fight every single battle, but I assure you, in our state, we have a LARGE offroad community that is active in our communities (Not just with trail cleanups, etc.). We hit community council meetings, we coordinate with the Dept. of Forestry, Borough Land Management, State Fish and Game, you name it... if there is exposure to be had in putting our recreation in a positive light, we're there.

We donate heavily to the Blue Ribbon Coalition, and other simular groups who help keep our lands open, and work with them whenever possible to ensure our lands do stay open.

I realize in other states, the greenies have a stranglehold on land access issues, but honestly, that is in part your own fault. Being proactive and organized goes a long way in securing the future of off road recreation.

The greenies have tried there hand up here... and in some cases have won with merit... but the overwhelming majority of people who show up in open forums to discuss/debate access rights, are pro access, and it has an impact on the people who ultimatly make the decisions about trail closures, etc.

That all being said... if the moderators/admins of this forum feel that this content hurts more than it helps, please feel free to remove this thread, and the others I've posted (As they too could be taken out of context).

Sorry for the rant. We work hard up here to keep our land open and accessable, and when someone says "The greenies could use this against us" when nothing illegal is being portrayed, it frustrates me.

M

muddyjeep

I vote to keep the pics up! Looks like tons of fun up there! Brings back good memories of an Elk hunt!