Super Ranger AKA Stranger

Picked up the Stranger this week as a result of being frustrated with not being able to attempt every obstacle on a trail. My 99 TJ was extremely capable for a street legal rig, but I was missing being able to attempt trails like Brittney Spears, or obstacles like Suicide Hill and the last waterfall on Upper Helldorado.

The Stranger began life as the Lovell Racing built Super Ranger that I believe won more UROC Legend events than any other one rig in the series history, including every event in 2005 and the World Championships in 2006. It has also competed in Ultra 4 races and the King of the Hammers in 2008.

Although it has a great history it's gone through 3 owners since the Lovells and has been rode hard and put away wet a few too many times. The last owner bought it to run 4500 class Ultra 4 racing but found it to be more of a project than he wanted and opted to purchase another rig that was closer to being competition ready. As a result the little Ranger sat for almost a year. Mitch was very upfront with the condition on the rig and I don't anticipate many surprises with this project. This will be a work in progress and actually needs some key things fixed before I can even hit a trail.

The first order of the business is tracking down multiple electrical gremlins, the most prominent being finding out why the fuel pump runs whenever the battery is hooked up. This problem has also killed the batter so a new one is in order. The next high priority fix will be replacing most, if not all, of the heims in the suspension. After these 2 areas are covered I'll be hit the trails out west for some orientation and to identify other needs and wants.

I knew going into this that it would be a project, but I couldn't pass up the price for what was a such an award winning and capable rig. It will be great to be back in a buggy and hopefully by Thanksgiving I can have it tested and functional and maybe head to Moab. The pictures in orange are how the rig looks now.

Attachments

• comp2.jpg
    comp2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 107
  • left.jpg
    left.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 112
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 102

LT.

I am not too sure about the best performing rig he has ever had. That Willy's Jeep buggy was an insane rig! I can't wait to see this rig out on the trail.

LT.

Bart

IMHO, best performing is relative. I've never been in a rig that took drop offs better than my single seater. Along with what LT said, I've never had a rig that climbed like the Willys buggy. It was literally point and go. That was up suicide without chirping a tire, up the Upper Helldo waterfall one shot, and up Backdoor in one shot that was the qualifying obstacle for KOH in 2009. That rig flat climbed.

As for cones and courses and overall performing, I think I'm with Carl here. The Ranger flat out works in tight places, maneuvering, climbs, and descents. Can't wait to get her out.

zukijames

whats the wheelbase and some other specs compared to the single seater and willies ? think it will 1 shot the heldo waterfall? lovells truck now is like 106 wb? this one looks like maybe 103?

Bart

Wheelbase is about 103 right now. I'm going to run it for a year in its current configuration and then make a change. I hate to lose its unique look but I really like the Willys look and it could very easily become Willy2. I don't think it will climb quite as good as a 112" wheel base but we'll see.

Bart

Updates on the Stranger. Found the electrical gremlins that I think were causing the problems, but I need to pull the interior apart to redo it the way I want it. I'm ordering new heims for every arm and need to rebuild the rear lower link mounts on the chassis end.

Bart

Was going to take it to Moab last weekend but the buyer of the TJ decided he wanted to pick the Jeep up yesterday instead of March, so I had to get a lot of little things done on the rig. It went by by last night and now I can concentrate of finishing the suspension on the Stranger and planning on Moab over Thanksgiving weekend. Can't wait to get it on a trail. Might need to do a shakedown run out west before Moab.

Bart

Finally got the Stranger out for the Old Man Run on Saturday and have to say that I'm extremely happy. It worked as well as I was hoping and I found a few items that need attention before the Thanksgiving Moab run. I was planning on changing the suspension and stretching it about 7 inches this winter, but although I will still need to fix a few things I think I'll run it in this configuration for a year or so. It flat out worked.

Attachments

• FirstclimbSM.jpg
    FirstclimbSM.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 71
  • WW1sm.jpg
    WW1sm.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 63
  • WW2sm.jpg
    WW2sm.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 61
  • WW6sm.jpg
    WW6sm.jpg