Super Ranger AKA Stranger

Picked up the Stranger this week as a result of being frustrated with not being able to attempt every obstacle on a trail. My 99 TJ was extremely capable for a street legal rig, but I was missing being able to attempt trails like Brittney Spears, or obstacles like Suicide Hill and the last waterfall on Upper Helldorado.

The Stranger began life as the Lovell Racing built Super Ranger that I believe won more UROC Legend events than any other one rig in the series history, including every event in 2005 and the World Championships in 2006. It has also competed in Ultra 4 races and the King of the Hammers in 2008.

Although it has a great history it's gone through 3 owners since the Lovells and has been rode hard and put away wet a few too many times. The last owner bought it to run 4500 class Ultra 4 racing but found it to be more of a project than he wanted and opted to purchase another rig that was closer to being competition ready. As a result the little Ranger sat for almost a year. Mitch was very upfront with the condition on the rig and I don't anticipate many surprises with this project. This will be a work in progress and actually needs some key things fixed before I can even hit a trail.

The first order of the business is tracking down multiple electrical gremlins, the most prominent being finding out why the fuel pump runs whenever the battery is hooked up. This problem has also killed the batter so a new one is in order. The next high priority fix will be replacing most, if not all, of the heims in the suspension. After these 2 areas are covered I'll be hit the trails out west for some orientation and to identify other needs and wants.

I knew going into this that it would be a project, but I couldn't pass up the price for what was a such an award winning and capable rig. It will be great to be back in a buggy and hopefully by Thanksgiving I can have it tested and functional and maybe head to Moab. The pictures in orange are how the rig looks now.

Attachments

• comp2.jpg
    comp2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 107
  • left.jpg
    left.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 112
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 102

Coco

Looks great Bart! Wish I could have been there to see it in person!! Let me know when you head out again :D

I will be in Moab for Thanksgiving weekend as well, let hit a trail!

Last edited:

Bart

Took the Stranger to Moab over Thanksgiving weekend and again, I"m pleasantly surprised and happy with it's understated ability.

We did Coyote Canyon, Britney Spears, Upper Helldorado, and parts of Drop Kick and Black Out on Friday. I needed some good spotting, but never pulled a strap or a winch. Climbed the waterfall on Upper really well once I got it lined up.

Saturday we ran Behind the Rocks to the back of Pritchett. Lots of high speed dirt roads, some obstacles, and the sand at the end. I experienced a little overheating on the longer runs, and man, it's noisy, but again, it impressed. Sunday morning we did a quick in to Yellow Hill and back out on Pritchett and it did really well.

It's so funny when we park in a group that we are so much smaller than every other rig around. When we pulled up next to Cheston in his rig, and the Fat Lady Buggy and their friends, I felt like I was in a Tonka toy.

The more I drive it, the more I like it, and the more projects I find that will make it better, but it is such a great little rig and has tons of potential.

Projects on the list, but not necessarily in order:
complete fluid change
new trans shifter cable
right rear axle seal
replace bent tubing
fit and paint the new set of skins
rock lights
creature comforts inside, pouches, storage, Ipod bracket, amp, and speakers

The list goes on.... Again, I'm extremely happy with the way the buggy works and handles.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
The buggy looks awesome.

There is nothing wrong with it being small. You could drive circles around me all day long.

It was good to see ya for a minute! Congrats on the sweet rig!!

Bart

Thanks guys, appreciate the kind words. Here's a pic to illustrate. I would loved to have gotten a pic with your crew Cheston. It would be almost comical.

Coyote1.jpg

Bart

Some of it I can fix with the new tubing and panels. Unfortunately there will be no way to fix the noise of the fans. It has 4. 2 huge ones on the radiator in the rear, and one for the steering and one for the tranny up front. I was running some parts back into Pritchett on Sunday and my friend heard my fans before he heard my motor. :-\

Bart

Got some much needed work done on the Ranger over the holiday, in fact still in process. Gave it a full tune up, changed oil, replaced tranny pan gasket and most of the ATF, fixed an air intake problem, and then started addressing some cosmetic issues. I had plans to replace all the bent tube on the rig, but that would be about a third of the chassis. I think I'll run it the way it is for a couple of years but still want it to look better. I cut the badly bent front stinger off and with help from Matt redid it. Man, what a difference.
front1.JPGfront2.JPGfront3.JPG

After wheeling in Moab and climbing in and out of the buggy for 3 days, it took a toll on Janeal. I wanted to make it easier to get in and out and not lose too much structure. I lowered the door opening almost 7". This will help make it more user friendly.
door2.JPG

Before KOH I still need to get the new front driveline in, fix a leaking rear axle seal, replace diff fluids, replace Atlas fluid, paint new tube work, replace and paint skins, and fix a much needed piece of the rear suspension. Yes, it's a lot, but its coming along nicely.

Bart

How narrow is the chassis?

You should run Unlimited ;) :D

I think it's about 50", but not sure. I wouldn't mind running Unlimited except this rig was purpose built to run the old UROC Legends class. The full sized frame rails do restrict capability and are actually a weak point on the chassis. The very small heims (3/4 x 5/8, probably smaller than any other joint on any other Legends rig) and control arms would be destroyed on the extreme obstacles in Unlimited. I just want to try it in a lower class first and see how it does. If it does ok I'd definitely bump up a class next year. I want to compete against similar rigs, but I don't want to destroy this one. It's a great trail rig, but way old school as far as tech goes.

Bart

Hahaha, not sure about that. Axles are about the same width as stock would have been, and I'm pretty sure the rear is a stock width Ford semi float. With your longer wheelbase and taller tires, you'll be smoking me on the climbs.

jr4x

I got to talk to Roger Lovell last weekend at the bridgeport texas dirt riot finals. I mentioned how I almost bought this rig (couldnt come up with the money before you did) and he told me how much they wished they could have kept it. Are you still gonna bring it out and race the EMC in it?

Bart

Roger is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. I talked to him extensively before and since I bought the rig. I loved doing Old School in it, but I don't think I'd race it. I'm really missing a something I can drive on the street so I have a few plans in place so the Stranger is either going down the road or will go through a transformation in the next year. Still trying to decide. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it and it's an amazing machine in its current configuration, it just doesn't fit all my needs like it is which is why this decision is so hard.