survival gun (not zombie gun)

jsudar

Git yerself a 10/22 with a 24" bull barrel and one of them lead filled synthetic stocks. Then put on a scope from a Barrett .50 BMG (you know the ones made for professional people killers) that can see in the dark. Then you'll need a ghillie suit for you and your wife (so she can be your spotter). Carry as much .22 LR as you want, but make sure at least half are blanks to make up for the extra weight in the barrel and stock.

You will also need to hand load all your ammo so you can make sure you won't need to adjust the scope at all after you pull it off the BMG. Hand loaded .22's can really reach out there.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I thought about a .17hmr. I really like shooting them. I like the range and the one I shot was stupid accurate. I had a hard time finding one that was compact and light.

Check out this link...

http://www.taurususa.com/products/products-revolvers.cfm

the "small frame revolvers" category has several options. JamesK had a Taurus Tracker .17HMR, I had a chance to shoot it and have wanted one ever since.

EDIT: Looks like several of them are discontinued, but the 9 round concealed hammer guns are available. I think they just replaced the others in the lineup. I think I'm gonna go look at these today.:)

EDIT for the EDIT:In "concealed carry" there are a couple more options, including a gun for .17Mach2, which are necked down .22LR. Less power than the HMR, but much smaller and still substantially more power/accuracy than the .22. I would still probably opt for the HMR though.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Both Rossi and H&R make a youth model single shot 17hmr. I bought my son one of the Rossi's and it is tiny. They are also half as much as that Henry survival .22.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Git yerself a 10/22 with a 24" bull barrel and one of them lead filled synthetic stocks. Then put on a scope from a Barrett .50 BMG (you know the ones made for professional people killers) that can see in the dark. Then you'll need a ghillie suit for you and your wife (so she can be your spotter). Carry as much .22 LR as you want, but make sure at least half are blanks to make up for the extra weight in the barrel and stock.

You will also need to hand load all your ammo so you can make sure you won't need to adjust the scope at all after you pull it off the BMG. Hand loaded .22's can really reach out there.

Good Idea! I'll carry it all in a cement purse to keep weight at a minimum.

Check out this link...

http://www.taurususa.com/products/products-revolvers.cfm

the "small frame revolvers" category has several options. JamesK had a Taurus Tracker .17HMR, I had a chance to shoot it and have wanted one ever since.

EDIT: Looks like several of them are discontinued, but the 9 round concealed hammer guns are available. I think they just replaced the others in the lineup. I think I'm gonna go look at these today.:)

EDIT for the EDIT:In "concealed carry" there are a couple more options, including a gun for .17Mach2, which are necked down .22LR. Less power than the HMR, but much smaller and still substantially more power/accuracy than the .22. I would still probably opt for the HMR though.

I will check those out. I have a few concealed options already.

Both Rossi and H&R make a youth model single shot 17hmr. I bought my son one of the Rossi's and it is tiny. They are also half as much as that Henry survival .22.

I will check it out.

Anyone know how light a 10/22 with light stock and barrel can be? Can it get in the under 3lb range? Not looking for a 1000 dollar .22.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Another option is the Marlin Papoose:
70pss_Case.jpg

There is a gun show coming to SLC in March I think... no better place to actually put your hands on all these options. Then you can narrow your search and find a good deal.

muleskinner

Anyone know how light a 10/22 with light stock and barrel can be? Can it get in the under 3lb range? Not looking for a 1000 dollar .22.

Not sure on the stock gun, but mine has a carbon fiber barrel and even with the thumb hole stock its pretty damn light. You can even buy a cheapo Butler Creek carbon barrel for $100.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
My 6" Buckmark is surprisingly accurate and they are quite a bit smaller than any 10/22.

I am going to check into those buckmarks.

Not sure on the stock gun, but mine has a carbon fiber barrel and even with the thumb hole stock its pretty damn light. You can even buy a cheapo Butler Creek carbon barrel for $100.

I need to look up some weights with the carbon fiber barrel. do they makea carbonbarrel for those chargers.

NYCEGUY01

Tactical solutions makes an aluminum for the charger. Thats who made my 10" Buckmark barrell ( discontinued now ).

As light as the carbon fiber but more accurate.

The cheap carbon barrels are really carbon " look "

Magnum Research makes a very accurate carbon fiber barrel. Get your wallet though.
I have one of thiers ( MR ) in .17M2 and love it. Very accurate well past 100yds..

jsudar

Ok, really on a more serious note-- come over to my house sometime and check out my Marlin .22. It's a youth model, so it's very short and light and it breaks down pretty small using only one screw. It's a big flathead screw, so I have even field stripped it using a penny. It has scope rails too. Since it's a youth model you can pick them up dirt cheap. This one cost $69 brand new, but that was several years ago.

My wife loves it and I even let Calvin shoot it, too. Next time we go shooting I'll let you try it out and see if you like it.

I haven't done it myself, but my uncle owns several buckmarks and he says they are kind of a PITA to disassemble and reassemble. Not saying that's a horrible thing, but if I were looking for a survival gun; field serviceability and simplicity would be a major consideration for me.

Last edited:

NYCEGUY01

The only part that might be considered tough is if your taking the trigger group etc. apart. There isnt really a reason to go that far in for servicing or cleaning.

I guess it will mostly depend if your looking for real good or real cheap ??

For the cheaper end I would not go lower than the trusty 10/22. I have several in the safe.

Hell, Id sell you a basic stock one for $150. blued barrel and wood stock.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
That henry .22 looks awesome. does anyone own one? Are they reliable and semi accurate? I am going to start some research onthem right now.

Hey also if you want to try the Henry out just let me know and we can meet up somewhere and you can send off a few rounds :)

rollover

This is the only gun you need for a reliable breakdown 22LR. I have had one for 30 years and my father has had one for over 35 years. Shoot any ammo you want.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=022B&cat_id=021&type_id=001 Flip a switch and twist its just that simple to breakdown.

I have had two Henrys over the years having jam problems with the first I thought I'd try again. They both jammed off and on. The best ammo I found for them is the CCI.

For myself I want one that when you need it you don't ask yourself "I hope it doesn't jam now.

JM2C

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The only part that might be considered tough is if your taking the trigger group etc. apart. There isnt really a reason to go that far in for servicing or cleaning.

I guess it will mostly depend if your looking for real good or real cheap ??

For the cheaper end I would not go lower than the trusty 10/22. I have several in the safe.

Hell, Id sell you a basic stock one for $150. blued barrel and wood stock.[/QUOTE

I really might take you up on that 10/22!

Hey also if you want to try the Henry out just let me know and we can meet up somewhere and you can send off a few rounds :)

I may be heading out your way in the near future, maybe we can work something out.

This is the only gun you need for a reliable breakdown 22LR. I have had one for 30 years and my father has had one for over 35 years. Shoot any ammo you want.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=022B&cat_id=021&type_id=001 Flip a switch and twist its just that simple to breakdown.

I have had two Henrys over the years having jam problems with the first I thought I'd try again. They both jammed off and on. The best ammo I found for them is the CCI.

For myself I want one that when you need it you don't ask yourself "I hope it doesn't jam now.

JM2C

I already have that .22 I saved for like 2 years when I was a kid to buy it. It is super reliable and accurate as I need. I don't really want to just leave it in the pack all the time though. It is also a little heavy.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Ended up getting the marlin papoose a week or so ago. It is very accurate. I like the sights and the balance of the gun. Takes about 10 seconds to put it together. I did have a few problems with the rounds feeding properly, but it got better after I put a bunch of rounds through it. I really like this gun. The quality seems to be way above the henry. One more item to check off of the survival pack.