Survival Knife

muleskinner

These are not for sale

I am looking for opinions on these knives-

I made a couple to stash in my B.O.B. and backpack for emergency's.

Made from HSS saw blades, 9'' OAL. 2.78 OZ. These are super sharp and hold an edge for a very long time. I whittled a piece of wood today and I could still shave my arm with it after.

The handle has 7 feet of 550 Para cord and it will have a firesteel in the handle. (I may include hooks, line, or whatever) I am also working on a Kydex sheath.

These are just prototypes, I am waiting for the duracoat paint to arrive.

All comments good or bad are welcome.

blades.jpg

Last edited:

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Nice, I was just talking about something like this the other day. Never thought of making them. I would probably just buy one though.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Dude, those are sweet. I would be willing to pay some decent money for something like that. Especially if it came in like a hard tactical type sheath. I dig the styling.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I think they're pretty awesome. Blade shape looks pretty good for general purpose use, good size, etc.

I'd love to get one when you get done prototyping 'em. :D

muleskinner

Thanks for the input.

What would you expect to pay for something like this?

I'm thinking about some different options for DIY people-
(I hope I'm not breaking the rules here)

NOT FOR SALE

I'm still trying to find better saw blade prices, but this is what I'm thinking right now-

Just the ground blade (wrap your own) $25?

blade+550 cord wrap $30?

blade+550 cord wrap+firesteel+Kydex sheath $40?

Thoughts??

If I do sell these I'll be sure to become a vendor before doing so:)

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I think the length is good and they look super cool. I am personally not a fan of cord handles. The ones I have had have always fallen apart on me. I would rather have a beefier handle and then attach the cord with a braided lanyard or something. I don't know what else you would do with the handle though. Especially if they were going to the DIY.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I would be down for a wrap your own version (I like leather wrapped handles :) ).. Are you doing any heat treating to them once you are done?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
So what is the thickness of the blade? For some reason I'm picturing a reciprocating saw blade that has been formed into shape but they look thicker than that.

muleskinner

I think the length is good and they look super cool. I am personally not a fan of cord handles. The ones I have had have always fallen apart on me. I would rather have a beefier handle and then attach the cord with a braided lanyard or something. I don't know what else you would do with the handle though. Especially if they were going to the DIY.

These are guaranteed not to fall apart;)

Those are bad ass. I'd be down for one or a couple. :cool:

Great idea btw.

Thanks Shane

I dig the background in the pic. :D What bullet is that?

Those are 22 Cal 55gr SP Hornady. Now stay focused:D what do you think of the knives?

I would be down for a wrap your own version (I like leather wrapped handles :) ).. Are you doing any heat treating to them once you are done?

No need to re-heat treat them. I cool them every pass on the knife grinder. Also, I grind them without gloves just in case. (I do have a HT oven that can reach 2200deg if it was needed) I do my own heat treating on all my other knives I make from 1095, ATS 34, 440C etc.

So what is the thickness of the blade? For some reason I'm picturing a reciprocating saw blade that has been formed into shape but they look thicker than that.

They are about .065 thick. I do have a few bigger blades I'm making some big choppers with they are about 1/8 thick. The cost is much higher with them right now.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I like the one with the thumb groove as well. Very nice looking.:cool:

Could you post a pic of them with something else of known size (dollar bill maybe?) for size/thickness reference? I know you listed measurements, but it'd be nice to see it.

I would (will...) buy one. Or two.:D

DOSS

Could you post a pic of them with something else of known size (dollar bill maybe?) for size/thickness reference? I know you listed measurements, but it'd be nice to see it.

X2

Also good to know on the cool grinding.. that is what I was wondering about as I have seen people grind until way too hot and think nothing of it :)

oh and Black is a good color when I put my order in for a couple

muleskinner

Knifesize.jpg

knifegreen.jpg

I don't think I could lose these if I tried:D The green one is getting Florescent green para cord.

DOSS

Good point on the florescent.. I would be willing to test one out doing all sorts of stupid stuff for you ;) If you do these how long out are you looking to do it?