Survival Knife

jentzschman

Pure badassery...

OgytM.jpg

Agreed!

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I dig these, I wouldn't be opposed to owning a couple. I like the serrations on the false edge, but a flat striking surface on the back near the tip would be useful too. And It'd be great to have spots on the sheath to stash a sharpening stone and firesteel.

muleskinner

The serrations are an actual saw blade, not a serration made to resemble a saw blade. These will cut steel if you are patient enough to saw that long with a four inch blade;)

There is a ferrocerium rod tied in the para cord on the handle.

I'm not sure how easy these will sharpen on a regular stone, I've never tried. I sharpen them on my grinder in just a couple seconds. Anyone that buys one will have free sharpening for life if they mail them to me. They are razor sharp and quite a few people bleed within a couple days of receiving them:rofl:

They are high speed steel and are somewhere between 62-65 Rockwell hardness.

One thing to remember, I made these as a lightweight backup knife for my hunting pack. I wanted something I could leave in a backpack or Bug out bag and always have it handy if needed.

Thanks for the comments

mesha

By endurance we conquer
What is the weight on one with no para cord and no sheath? Also, a weight on just the sheath?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
The serrations are an actual saw blade, not a serration made to resemble a saw blade. These will cut steel if you are patient enough to saw that long with a four inch blade;)

There is a ferrocerium rod tied in the para cord on the handle.

I'm not sure how easy these will sharpen on a regular stone, I've never tried. I sharpen them on my grinder in just a couple seconds. Anyone that buys one will have free sharpening for life if they mail them to me. They are razor sharp and quite a few people bleed within a couple days of receiving them:rofl:

They are high speed steel and are somewhere between 62-65 Rockwell hardness.

If you make more, put me down for one then!

STAG

On my grind
Would I be able to request one that had the serrations of a wood blade rather than a metal blade? IE less teeth per inch/ larger teeth

muleskinner

Would I be able to request one that had the serrations of a wood blade rather than a metal blade? IE less teeth per inch/ larger teeth

I think I can get them in 4 tpi, I'll check. It will still be a metal cutting blade, I haven't found any wood blades that are fully hardened.

Just post in this thread if you want one so I have an idea when I start grinding again.

skeptic

If you can you make a drop point version I'm in for at least 2. Assuming you can, what would the cost be for a drop point, para cord wrapped, kydex sheathed, in a light or bright colored paint?

ZUKEYPR

Very good looking knifes however marketed as survival knife..no
The spine is not beefy enough to be wailing on as we found ourselves using them mostly for shelter construction, traps, and secondary weaponry construction in the spec ops community
There's a reason why you'll never see one wrapped with 550 cord, it doesn't hold up in that environment
That said though one or two would make a very nice addition to my collection, just not a replacement to any of my survival knifes. I think you're low balling yourself on your prices

skeptic

Very good looking knifes however marketed as survival knife..no
The spine is not beefy enough to be wailing on as we found ourselves using them mostly for shelter construction, traps, and secondary weaponry construction in the spec ops community
There's a reason why you'll never see one wrapped with 550 cord, it doesn't hold up in that environment
That said though one or two would make a very nice addition to my collection, just not a replacement to any of my survival knifes. I think you're low balling yourself on your prices

I have to agree, survival knife is probably not the best description, but for an emergency knife it makes a lot of sense. Small, light, actual saw blade on the back, extra paracord as the handle, reasonably inexpensive. Perfect for throwing in an emergency bag and forgetting about it. This is why I want a couple bright colored ones, and they would not replace my normal fixed blade camping knife. Let's be honest here, I would NOT want saw teeth on the back side of my normal camping/outdoors knife. When it comes to an emergency bag (BoB/GHB) I want small, light, multi-function tools.

I have also been considering the Gerber paracord knife (or other similar paracord handled knives) for BoB/GHB. Similar idea, thicker steel and no saw blade. I just think I'd rather support a local guy, plus the saw blade could come in handy in a real emergency.