Suzuki XL-7 build- “XL7-UP”

The_Lobbster

Had the day off for Juneteenth. I won’t complain if they wanna pay me to fab!

Installed the front +25mm coils along with a 1” coil lift block, and the ARB OME struts.

Extended the steering shaft using two splined couplers, and a couple inches of spline chopped off from a junkyard shaft.

After that, I decided to try my hand at some CAD, and started building my bumper brackets. Got it where I liked it enough, and burned it all together. Still a lot to do to beef it up enough, but it’s a start!

IMG_7297.jpegIMG_7298.jpegIMG_7299.jpegIMG_7300.jpegIMG_7301.jpegIMG_7303.jpeg

Last edited:

The_Lobbster

Settled on a 9,500 Badlands. $332 after tax, reviews are decent….ish. Wanted to buy a Warn, but definitely wasn’t in the budget.

Suggestions on a synthetic replacement? Is CustomSplice still a viable option? I heard they went AWOL for a while.

IMG_7316.jpeg

Last edited:

The_Lobbster

More bumper progress. Had to remove the trans cooler, I’ll relocate it along with the PS cooler. This is turning into a big jig saw puzzle with each piece being dependent on the next in order to function. Made the winch plate slot through the lower bracket, so it’s secured by more than just a weld bead. Brackets are 1/4 plate, winch plate is 3/8.
IMG_7461.jpeg
IMG_7464.jpegIMG_7462.jpeg

The_Lobbster

Welded up the winch plate. They’re probably not up to professional standards, but I’m sure they’ll hold.

Installed TJ front coils in the rear for approximately 1.25” lift, but I’ll add a coil spacer too later.

Started customizing the headlights.

IMG_7628.jpegIMG_7629.jpeg

IMG_7582.jpeg
IMG_7625.jpegIMG_7630.jpegIMG_7626.jpeg
IMG_7584.jpeg

The_Lobbster

Engine and trans are mated.

Noticed last night though that I apparently smashed this hard line for the cooler while pulling the old combo. New part is still available, but around $75-$100. I'm thinking about using some compression to AN adapters and just running flex lines to the cooler. Any issues with that? Or would I be better just getting the correct piece?

IMG_1573.jpeg

IMG_1569.jpeg

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Engine and trans are mated.

Noticed last night though that I apparently smashed this hard line for the cooler while pulling the old combo. New part is still available, but around $75-$100. I'm thinking about using some compression to AN adapters and just running flex lines to the cooler. Any issues with that? Or would I be better just getting the correct piece?

View attachment 169069

View attachment 169070
$75-$100 isn't that much to know that you have the right part?

The_Lobbster

$75-$100 isn't that much to know that you have the right part?
That’s true….but it comes from the UAE and has a long lead time 🤣

I’ll probably just order it, this things been sitting for almost a year, so another 3 weeks is doable.

The_Lobbster

Transmission line? I cut both of mine on my XJ and slid hose over them ~15 years ago with no problems, just double hose-clamped. That's just how peasants (XJ guys) add coolers. If you're fancy you flare the end first. I am not fancy.
Yep, just goes to the cooler and back. I’ll probably just do that and then zip tie it back to the mount.