Taking firearm across Nevada/Cali state lines.

jentzschman

sixstringsteve

Going on vacation for a week in Cali and wanted to at least bring my firearm for protection. I found these articles:
http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/california.aspx
http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/nevada.aspx

and if I am understanding it all correctly:

I can carry it with me in my vehicle in a locked case and be ok in both states.
I will be keeping the firearm in this locked case while traveling and in the hotel in California.

Thanks for any input or advice.

I'd be reluctant to take my firearm to CA. Even if you carried it legally, I believe the laws of self-defense are different there. I'd be too afraid to use it in CA to defend myself. I may save my life, but end up in the slammer for 20 years.

I thought I read somewhere that the ammunition had to be locked in a separate box as the gun, and the mag had to be removed? Don't quote me on that, but a few years ago I researched the same thing.

jentzschman

According to those NRA articles it does seem ok to carry them into the states. One issue that scares me is the recent story about a gal from Pennsylvania carrying a legally bought and owned firearm from Penn to New Jersey and is not facing 3 years in federal prison. Granted New Jersey is a damn joke of a state and I don't think even Cali is that struck on weapons being brought into their state.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
From reading last year you have no worries in Nevada as there are no laws regarding vehicle carry unless you are in Clark County(Vegas) Cali is a whole nother story and would require more in depth research than reading a single article. More like getting into the actual legal code.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
There's some beautiful country in California, and I've only seen a fraction of it. There's also some horrible laws and horrible politics and a whole grip of folks who don't think straight. I wish California was another country entirely.

DAA

I love Cali. I'd move back in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

We are from different planets. I spent a week there last month and thought it was just about the most effed up place imaginable. Some gorgeous scenery. Some nice people. But one totally effed up culture. The busy bodies and do gooders and rule enforcers were every freaking where. And don't get me started on the traffic... Or just the sheer number of people everywhere, that seemed inescapable. Honestly, I hated that place...

- DAA

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I have a pretty short list of places I hate.. basically anywhere that is not Utah, Wyoming, or Montana.. But California is high on the 'avoid at all costs' list. Unless, of course, you are going to Glamis :)

We are from different planets. I spent a week there last month and thought it was just about the most effed up place imaginable. Some gorgeous scenery. Some nice people. But one totally effed up culture. The busy bodies and do gooders and rule enforcers were every freaking where. And don't get me started on the traffic... Or just the sheer number of people everywhere, that seemed inescapable. Honestly, I hated that place...

- DAA
Man I couldn't agree more. I haven't lived there in a while but every time I visit the issues you brought up seem to get worse and freaking worse. So I just stopped visiting the family out there and have them visit me. Which is a shame because it is a beautiful country side.

However when I used to visit I may or may not disarmed. Just depended on where I was visiting
and It's called concealed for a reason... I personally never met a POS criminal that was very interested in allowing me the time to unlock my pelican case, grab the mags from the locked glove box, then lock and load to defend myself. My mom used to live in a pretty bad area though so it's all a composite risk management process.

Going on vacation for a week in Cali and wanted to at least bring my firearm for protection.

I have a Pelican case you can use for storing handguns if you need.

Last edited:

mombobuggy

Nevada just wants the revenue for the c.c.p. if you plan to go there often I think it would worth the 50 bucks to take the class so you can carry in the normal fashion. As for California we were taught as Kids that if we had nothing nice to say . Well you know. As always just my Opinion face value the same as what you pay for it. Good luck and safe travels.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
AMEN BROTHER

Add North Dakota to that list and its perfect. I hate that place, I hope I never have to go back. 18 months living there was too long. I still get anxiety thinking about having to go back there for work. UGH

giphy.gif

I have a pretty short list of places I hate.. basically anywhere that is not Utah, Wyoming, or Montana.. But California is high on the 'avoid at all costs' list. Unless, of course, you are going to Glamis :)

blznnp

Nevada just wants the revenue for the c.c.p. if you plan to go there often I think it would worth the 50 bucks to take the class so you can carry in the normal fashion. As for California we were taught as Kids that if we had nothing nice to say . Well you know. As always just my Opinion face value the same as what you pay for it. Good luck and safe travels.
is the $50 for a non-residance carry permit? not sure if you are referring to that or not. If you are, last I heard was that they were going to stop doing that, but I could be wrong.