TBI ECU question

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
On my Commando project I have collected three different 350 TBI ECUs an 87 Blazer, 88 Suburban, and 89 Camaro. Any thoughts on which one would work best for a crawler ? I have wiring for them too but it looks like they are all very similar. I guess I could check the PROM in each one and see if they are different. Thoughts ?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I think the "cool kids" all run a 7747 setup. I'm fairly confident the '88 Sub and '89 Camaro ones are that. Not sure on the '87. I totally cheated and swapped in the GM harness as well vs. splicing into the Jeep one.

Blake

These guys have tons of info on the GM TBI swaps. http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47254
Seems like the 7747 is the most supported with tech and such online and people seem to recommend using the same one that was originally with the harness that you are using but you can probably make any of them work.

I have one of those ECU's and wiring harness that I pulled out at the junkyard but I have been nervous to pull my carb off and tear into it. Good luck on yours, I will be interested to hear how it works.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Thanks for the comments, I have all of the wiring into the commando and just need a fuel system to try it out (exhaust would be good too). I had some fun blending the XJ steering column and wiper motor with the suburban harness but have it all working well now. Even the delay wipers are working. I went out measuring gas tanks and the S10 TBI tank would work but may be hard to route the exhaust around it with the rear 4 link. I will most likely have to have a custom tank made.