Teachers packing!!!!

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
I just clicked on to KSL to do my daily check for more good deals I can't afford, and on the front page there is an article about teachers taking concealed weapon classes.
My oppinion is that this is a good thing, but I was wondering how others feel about it. So how do you feel about it?:confused:

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I feel the teachers are kind of the police of the school so why not arm them. As long as the students don't know which teach is packin the heat, I think its good.

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
How screwed up can this world get?

I agree also, it pisses me off that this has to be. I am glad there are teachers out there who are thinking about prepareing themselves so at IF something happened, they could end the threat rather than huddle in the corner and wait for the police to get there to pick up the bodies of all the innocent children the gunman shot during the 2-8min "code3" responce time.

Caleb

I think it's a good thing. I was listening to Mark Shurtleff (sp?) the other day on KSL talking about this and he brought up some good points. It won't be the standard concealed weapons training, they'll go through the exact safety and Gun handling training Police Officers go through. So the argument that they won't be properly trained or whatever is bunk. They'll be as prepared to handle a situation as the officers "responding" are.

78mitsu

second ammendment in Utah you can pack anywhere but in a jail/airport/ and if you're asked to leave a church or house.(even then it's barely a misdemeanor) the point is it's CONCEALED if it's you can't hide it well enough for someone else not to be able to see it you shouldn't be packing.

Bone Down

it is about time, kids these days get way to many ideas of granduer from the net / media / games / and peers.

this crap has to stop.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
i see good points and bad points. the biggest problem i see is students out number teachers 20 to 1. and all its going to take to get a gun away from a teacher is a few students taking a teacher by suprize. i think we already have too many guns in our schools why would we want to give kids another way to get ahold of them. if they plan on taking one from a teacher they wont have to sneek one past the security guard and the metal detectors. it will already be in the building.

i am still undecided on the isue, those are my "against" arguments.

Caleb

i see good points and bad points. the biggest problem i see is students out number teachers 20 to 1. and all its going to take to get a gun away from a teacher is a few students taking a teacher by suprize. i think we already have too many guns in our schools why would we want to give kids another way to get ahold of them. if they plan on taking one from a teacher they wont have to sneek one past the security guard and the metal detectors. it will already be in the building.

Two problems with that. First, it's gonna be 100xs easier (as proven already) for a kid to bring a gun to school then it is to try and "take down" a teacher with a gun. Second, how are the students going to know which teachers are carrying? The point is, it's a CONCEALED weapon (like 78mitsu pointed out), if it's known they have a gun it's no longer concealed and is at that point illegal to have. I think your concerns are a moot point. Also, the whole idea behind this movement is to help protect the other student and themselves against the kids that do have weapons at school.

MOODY

Bald Guy

I am a teacher at a middle school, and I own guns. I wouldn't EVER bring mine inside the building without being asked. FWIW, I can't EVER see any group of my kids attempting to take a firearm from me, even knowing I had it. There are, however one or two kids that would possibly try, if given the chance, if they were that hellbent on doing so. If you look over the last 10 or so cases, it is the acts of one or two, not 10-20.

MOODY

Bald Guy
Two problems with that. First, it's gonna be 100xs easier (as proven already) for a kid to bring a gun to school then it is to try and "take down" a teacher with a gun. Second, how are the students going to know which teachers are carrying? The point is, it's a CONCEALED weapon (like 78mitsu pointed out), if it's known they have a gun it's no longer concealed and is at that point illegal to have. I think your concerns are a moot point. Also, the whole idea behind this movement is to help protect the other student and themselves against the kids that do have weapons at school.

I agree.

rjmax

The other Paco
As long as it stays on the teacher at all times. A concern for me is the lady teacher that puts it in her purse and then sets her purse in her desk or the teacher that gets uncomfortable with it on them and sets it in their desk. I guess I just don't want the possibility of a child being able to get their hands on a teachers weapon.

On the other hand, to have the protection could have possibly helped in the incidents that have occurred lately.

I guess I am also still undecided.:confused:

Taco4life

IMO there are too many "what ifs" I just graduated high school and feel I would feel more unsafe knowing some of my teachers were packing. Teachers are humans too, and snap quite often, knowing they have a weapon would scare me. I thought the yard stick was a weapon enough... And all the things that go on behind the teachers back, I can see a student stealing a gun from a teacher someday. We stole all kinds of things from our teacher.... Answer keys are the first thing that come to mind :)

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Teachers are humans too, and snap quite often, knowing they have a weapon would scare me....

Cops and military are also human. Should we take away their weapons because they might snap?

The fact is that any teacher who contemplates getting a ccw and carrying to school will recognize the responsibility that they now carry and will act accordingly. Any person that has their ccw will tell you that the day they got their permit and started carrying, they realized the seriousness of the situation and stepped up. They don't just all of the sudden become raving lunatics that pull their gun out at the slightest provocation - just the opposite. They find the reasonable, level-headed solution to problems and will shy away from confrontation more than before. If a teacher wants to step up to the level of responsibility it takes to carry a weapon, great. I would feel more comfortable with my kids in their classroom.

Devin

MOODY

Bald Guy
As long as it stays on the teacher at all times. A concern for me is the lady teacher that puts it in her purse and then sets her purse in her desk or the teacher that gets uncomfortable with it on them and sets it in their desk. I guess I just don't want the possibility of a child being able to get their hands on a teachers weapon.

On the other hand, to have the protection could have possibly helped in the incidents that have occurred lately.

I guess I am also still undecided.:confused:

I can't think of any teacher leaving any gun where any kid could get a hold of it. There are locking cabinets all over the place, as well as desks, etc. If it is concealed, and noone knows, then noone has anything to look for. CONCEALED is the key here.

IMO there are too many "what ifs" I just graduated high school and feel I would feel more unsafe knowing some of my teachers were packing. Teachers are humans too, and snap quite often, knowing they have a weapon would scare me. I thought the yard stick was a weapon enough... And all the things that go on behind the teachers back, I can see a student stealing a gun from a teacher someday. We stole all kinds of things from our teacher.... Answer keys are the first thing that come to mind :)

Hopefully most kids are more mature than you and your friends were in high school...even if I came across a gun when I was stealing a test key, I would have been intelligent enough to leave it be...

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
The topic made some national news

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/17/earlyshow/main2096721.shtml?source=RSSattr=HOME_2096721

I personally don't have any issue with anyone carrying a legal weapon to the workplace, teachers included. But because of the extra sensitivity around the topic I would not mind seeing teachers or other school staff being held to a higher standard where they are required to re-certify more often, or be given more advanced classes, maybe something like what the police go through. No one has any issues with a police officer in the school with a gun, why not having other staff who are equally trained as a police officer with the same responsibilities?

MOODY

Bald Guy
I would not mind seeing teachers or other school staff being held to a higher standard where they are required to re-certify more often, or be given more advanced classes, maybe something like what the police go through. No one has any issues with a police officer in the school with a gun, why not having other staff who are equally trained as a police officer with the same responsibilities?

Excellent idea.