tera locker a joke??? read me

gtidrivr

i think that all of us remember when nothing of tera's was made overseas... that was then, this is now, and now they will have whom ever is cheapest make it for them... and they have proved it, time and time again.
mind you i dint mind the overseas part it the quality they sacrifice for the extra profit. if they choose to charge outrageous prices, then they should be able to match with some good quality.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Hickey said:
That's right kids. spell it right.

Terra-Bull
:rofl: :rofl:

slap.gif

EDIT! I've been moderated! Foiled again! :eek:

Last edited:

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Give it time, that fine German product will soon be made in tiawan and of inferior quality.....PBF knows........

Learn from history or the past will come to bite you in the ass.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
tweakeyjeep said:
... It is approximately 8 times stronger than an ARB! :cool:

As much as I love you tweakster... I am going to have to call BS on that... you tell your cousin to get me prototype and I will take them into the engineering lab to find out the truth...

The weakpoint of an ARB (sidegears, IF EVER)... and they use 9620 Alloy....(known as super-impacto in material science classes)... There really isn't much you can do to a 9620 Alloy to make it stronger...

The failure of an ARB always is and always will be... two things... install error (o-rings) an bent housings...

BTW..... Got some sweet ARB rumors... They are very confident in their strength.. time will tell.... ;) :D Info to come soon... ;)

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
cruiseroutfit said:
As much as I love you tweakster... I am going to have to call BS on that... you tell your cousin to get me prototype and I will take them into the engineering lab to find out the truth...

The weakpoint of an ARB (sidegears, IF EVER)... and they use 9620 Alloy....(known as super-impacto in material science classes)... There really isn't much you can do to a 9620 Alloy to make it stronger...

The failure of an ARB always is and always will be... two things... install error (o-rings) an bent housings...

BTW..... Got some sweet ARB rumors... They are very confident in their strength.. time will tell.... ;) :D Info to come soon... ;)

Thanks... Good to know I'm loved! :eek:

What I understood from what my cousin told me, is that eaton uses locking pins which of course causes both axleshafts to spin. Eaton I believe has 8 and ARB I believe only has 1 (not sure on the ARB part)

He said all of the metals used are very very high quality... Not sure if the actual metal in the Eaton is stronger than the metal in the ARB, but could be. One of the other bonuses I really like is not having to wait for your near $300 Air compressor to pump up 90psi... With eaton's just push of a button and go. Unless you wire it wrong or wiring problem occurs... Then you're in trouble.

I wish I could hook you up with a prototype, but from the latest I heard, an editor from Peterson's 4 Wheel and Off Road was offered one, by my cousin, to be tested... It was built for a Dana 44... The first one, valued at $10k because everything was all hand built. The editor accepted, but then found out he had a Dana 60 instead of a Dana 44... So my cousin offered it to his little brother to go in his Wife's 99 WJ with a RockKrawler 8" lift and 35's, but From what I hear that dana 44 has a different ring gear size than a normal dana 44... So.... If I can talk my cousin into it... I might get it, if I'm lucky! :cool:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
tweakeyjeep said:

One of the other bonuses I really like is not having to wait for your near $300 Air compressor to pump up 90psi... ..............

Just for the record, I've only sworn about waiting (the 15-20 seconds or so) for the air compressor a couple of times in 3 years or so of running ARB's. I just turn the compressor on when I put the rig in 4-low and I'm in pretty good shape. Mine's also in the interior compartment, so it's kind of loud, but it honestly doesn't bother me at all.

It's also a great little tool at the beach or whereever for pumping up bike tires, kids air toys, etc. {When I air up the 35" tires, I go from 10-12 lbs. to 20 and it takes about 4-5 minutes per tire.......}

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
tweakeyjeep said:
...What I understood from what my cousin told me, is that eaton uses locking pins which of course causes both axleshafts to spin. Eaton I believe has 8 and ARB I believe only has 1 (not sure on the ARB part)......

Well either you misunderstood your cousin, or he needs to do his homework...

The ARB is engaged using a large gear, splines on the inside, and splines on the outside, look alot like the engagement gear on a front hub, but 4" around, it must have 30-40 teeth. Simple science (strength of materials 2160) will tell you that the pins have an exceedingly greater amount of shear. Sure 8 pins manufatured out of high-quality steel could potentially hold up, but they are not going to be stronger than a 4" engagment gear, surface area tells you that.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
tweakeyjeep said:
...One of the other bonuses I really like is not having to wait for your near $300 Air compressor to pump up 90psi... With eaton's just push of a button and go. Unless you wire it wrong or wiring problem occurs... Then you're in trouble.

Umm, if you have to wait for your $200 compressor to pump up, then you arn't using it right... My comp holds air... I turn it on when I start a wheelin adventure... and mabey (if it has sat for a long time) it will cycle for 5-10 sec. Then when I need my locker, push the buttones, and they are on... can't say I've ever waited?

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
cruiseroutfit said:
Umm, if you have to wait for your $200 compressor to pump up, then you arn't using it right... My comp holds air... I turn it on when I start a wheelin adventure... and mabey (if it has sat for a long time) it will cycle for 5-10 sec. Then when I need my locker, push the buttones, and they are on... can't say I've ever waited?

]Just for the record, I've only sworn about waiting (the 15-20 seconds or so) for the air compressor a couple of times in 3 years or so of running ARB's. I just turn the compressor on when I put the rig in 4-low and I'm in pretty good shape. Mine's also in the interior compartment, so it's kind of loud, but it honestly doesn't bother me at all.

It's also a great little tool at the beach or whereever for pumping up bike tires, kids air toys, etc. {When I air up the 35" tires, I go from 10-12 lbs. to 20 and it takes about 4-5 minutes per tire.......}

I've always been around my brother's and their rigs. They all run ARB's the rover is locked up front and rear... He has never had a problem with his air compressor, but it just is too small to pump up his 35's. He can't run air tools off of it. Or do anything with it except use it for lockers, which of course it was intended. So I'm not griping at that.

But then my brother Scott with his 84 CJ (which is now a mix of years CYJ-7) only had a rear ARB (which is now mine). I didn't take his pump because he forgot to take it off the frame before he gave away the old frame and body, but also it was in need of a rebuild or something, because it would every now and then work for the locker... He'd be in moab, hit his switch and it would "sometimes" work. He tried contacting ARB, but they gave him the runaround telling him it was either his air lines or the bulkhead fitting. He upgraded to the heavier duty stainless steel air lines, had the bulkhead fitting replaced, the copper wire inside replaced. He was always running into problems... Again ARB gave him the runaround And again, never able to do anything extra with the compressor, which is alright because it was not "intended" to do that.

Now my bro has "given" me a york compressor and he said for about the same price as an ARB compressor, I can get on-board air running with a 6 gallon resevoir above my dana 44 and have the ARB feed from that, and I can run air tools on the trail... And still keep my stock air conditioning.... That's why I look above and beyond the ARB compressor.

Sorry for the length... Just my opinions. :)

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
tweakeyjeep said:
I've always been around my brother's and their rigs. They all run ARB's the rover is locked up front and rear... He has never had a problem with his air compressor, but it just is too small to pump up his 35's. He can't run air tools off of it. Or do anything with it except use it for lockers, which of course it was intended. So I'm not griping at that.

But then my brother Scott with his 84 CJ (which is now a mix of years CYJ-7) only had a rear ARB (which is now mine). I didn't take his pump because he forgot to take it off the frame before he gave away the old frame and body, but also it was in need of a rebuild or something, because it would every now and then work for the locker... He'd be in moab, hit his switch and it would "sometimes" work. He tried contacting ARB, but they gave him the runaround telling him it was either his air lines or the bulkhead fitting. He upgraded to the heavier duty stainless steel air lines, had the bulkhead fitting replaced, the copper wire inside replaced. He was always running into problems... Again ARB gave him the runaround And again, never able to do anything extra with the compressor, which is alright because it was not "intended" to do that.

Now my bro has "given" me a york compressor and he said for about the same price as an ARB compressor, I can get on-board air running with a 6 gallon resevoir above my dana 44 and have the ARB feed from that, and I can run air tools on the trail... And still keep my stock air conditioning.... That's why I look above and beyond the ARB compressor.

Sorry for the length... Just my opinions. :)

York's are way sweet. Go that way, but regulate your air to the ARB to about 85-90 psi. You'll love the York!

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
mbryson said:
York's are way sweet. Go that way, but regulate your air to the ARB to about 85-90 psi. You'll love the York!

yeah, I think finding the correct regulator from the resevoir tank will be the hardest part to find....

To get the York to fit correctly and still keep my stock air compressor, I've got to cut the fender's sheetmetal inside the engine bay, so my engine will be more exposed, but I don't think it will cause problems, maybe get my engine a little more dirty, but hey... It's not a rice burner! :D

I also love the sounds of the ARB compressors... When I borrowed my brother's Land Rover when my jeep was in the shop (2 years ago) I took it to high school... Not only was everyone checking it out the whole time, but I would have crowds watching me when I would drive off! :D So I'd put on a show, turn on the lockers... Then when I left the parking lot turn them off...

Psst! Psst! Sounded like I had one of those turbo thingy's that lets the air out when you shift... Ha Ha... I was dumb! :D

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
I'm a Big Fan of The OX locker. No electrical lines no air lines, and a 1/4" diff cover comes with it.

danielt

gtidrivr

Tell me why is it a joke ?
I know this product , and I have to say it is not a joke .
To bash this product is just unfair ! You do not know anything about this product, and from a picture you can`t tell if this thing is good or bad !
If you had seen it at the Sema show, you would not compare it with an Electrac or Eaton locker .
To me it looks like you bash this product ,because you had a bad experience with Tera.
I guarantee that this product will never be made in China or Taiwan !
This locker has also a 3 year warranty ! This is a real warranty, if you break it it will be replaced without any question asked !

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
danielt said:
gtidrivr

To bash this product is just unfair ! You do not know anything about this product, and from a picture you can`t tell if this thing is good or bad !
If you had seen it at the Sema show, you would not compare it with an Electrac or Eaton locker .
To me it looks like you bash this product ,because you had a bad experience with Tera.
This locker has also a 3 year warranty ! This is a real warranty, if you break it it will be replaced without any question asked !
Oh, Welcome to the forum. GTI driver has as much right as anyone else here to bash that locker, because it is his opinion. The only way you will change his mind is through years of good feedback from the T-locker. I have the same opinion as GTI too. :) once again, welcome to the forum :)

Caleb

danielt said:
gtidrivr

its good to hear some info from the source...my question to you is why Tera...they (as you can prolly tell from this thread) are getting a bad rep for outsourcing their products to countries that have much lower standards...even though this locker is high quality and well thought out its gonna get stuck with the reputation that Tera is building for themselves???

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
More selectable locker options is a good thing in the long run regardless of who is marketing it. More competition should lead to lower prices and/or higher quality.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it would be helpful if people could try and support their opinions with data rather than blurbing out trash talk with no data to back it up :confused:

I'm indifferent to where a product is manufactured and designed.....and I'm also indifferent to who markets it assuming the service is acceptable. I'm more interested in how it performs and how reliable it is (and obviously how much it will cost).

I would find it VERY frustrating if I was trying to launch a new product and I had a bunch of people taking cheap shots at me that were clueless about my product :(

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Mike_Lib said:
I would find it VERY frustrating if I was trying to launch a new product and I had a bunch of people taking cheap shots at me that were clueless about my product :(
That is why you do research before going with a company that may hurt you.
He would have been much better off going with Rubicon Express.