The answer to Dodge Track Bar problems...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I posted this on POR, thought I'd do the same here. It seems like pretty good info to have, for all that Tow with Dodges.

I bought a '99 Dodge CTD last week to haul my junk around with, and noticed the front tires wearing poorly & the truck pulling to the Left when I hit the brakes.

I just had the Safety Inspection done & it failed for a Ball Joint & the Track Bar. I've known that there were problems with the Track Bar on Rams, but was curious if there was a better answer to this problem. It seems that the replacement Track Bar (OEM & non-OEM parts) does nothing to improve the design. If you replace the Track Bar, not too far down the road, you'll experience the same problem again, (I heard 20K miles.)

The Soultion? It's called the Lukes Link. As far as I can tell, it's an adjustable capture for the Tie Rod end (Frame Mount) of the Track Bar.

It sells for $63 + S&H. I just sent a email about ordering one. It's better than the $270 for a new Track Bar, which will wear out again, leaving you where you were before.

I am not affiliated with the Lukes Link builder, just passing on good info. :D

Once I get mine, I'll try post pics of the install and results.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I think that would solve a lot of XJ problems. I have noticed even brand new trac-bars doing strange movements on that upper ball joint.....

TheBigSgt

Rep Big Horn 4x4
Wow Greg, I like what I see in that kit. It looks very doable. I Just replaced my track bar for the second time. But the first replacement was lifetime Gar. on it from Auto Zone. But the rest isn't. I'm going to get my mechanics to look at this on monday.

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Whoa!

Good info man... Thanks...

My Daddy's truck has 187,000 miles on it, and when I was working at Hickley Dodge, one of the mechanics saw that the ball joints and track bar were worn.... For me (my discount) getting everything replaced, parts and everything would've been almost $600!!!

So for $64 that's a good deal, now we just gotta find a cheap inexpensive way to fix the ball joints! :)

Caleb

tweakeyjeep said:
Whoa!

Good info man... Thanks...

My Daddy's truck has 187,000 miles on it, and when I was working at Hickley Dodge, one of the mechanics saw that the ball joints and track bar were worn.... For me (my discount) getting everything replaced, parts and everything would've been almost $600!!!

So for $64 that's a good deal, now we just gotta find a cheap inexpensive way to fix the ball joints! :)

yep, thats about right...we did one of our works trucks atleast once a year (usually more) and we got all the parts at cost and it usually ended up being about $600:eek:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
That's really funny... the shop that did my Safety Inspection wrote out a estimate for all the parts & labor. It was like $650, :rofl:

I got 2 Ball Joints for $25 ea, & I'll be ordering the Lukes Link tomorrow, for about $70. Me & a friend will install the Ball Joints, I'll install the Lukes Link, then have an alignment done. $650... :rolleyes:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I wonder if this will be a problem on the newer trucks too... I'll just file this away for the future...

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
RockMonkey said:
I wonder if this will be a problem on the newer trucks too... I'll just file this away for the future...

I don't know, but I'm keeping tabs on this too. I haven't had any of these characteristics with mine yet, and I'm over 120,000 miles on my 2001.

tv_larsen

RockMonkey said:

I've been told that the new models eliminated the tie-rod end on the track bar and simply use a bushing at both ends.

TheBigSgt

Rep Big Horn 4x4
I showed it to the mechanics here at the dealership and got mixed opinions. I find it interesting. This is what came from a friend with Off Road Magazine.

After 10,000 miles, the Luke Link failed and broke apart while exiting the
parking lot at Factory Tubular Motorsports in Salt Lake on a Friday night at
5:20 pm while I was leaving to drive home to Southern California.

Factory Tubular owner, Matt Woolley saved me and custom fabricated a massive
heim joint to the trac bar...and I was back on the road.

I've just returned last night from 2 weeks on Baja Peninsula dirt roads
working the Baja 1000 off-road race and Saturday I pushed the limits of the
Dodge Ram with T-Rex Suspension making it from Gonzaga Bay to my house in
San Felipe in 2 hours 26 minutes averaging 56 mph on all dirt roads...

LukesLink would not have survived that run and would have left me stranded
on the Baja Peninsula.

Tim Sanchez
Off-Road.com

He pushes the limit on a dodge 2500. Those of you that have seen him at didferent events know what I'm talking about.

Got this from another person.

I use them on used trucks here at work. Seems to be a decent product.
The castings just look like crap. They don't finish them very well.

This guy also uses them pretty heavy, but not as much as Tim.

I think it is a good idea, but has a way to go.

I have a replacement one from AZ on mine, and am on my scond replacement. I did get the life time replacement warrenty on mine though.

So we ave some mixed reslts so far.

53 willys

Bad speller
Greg said:
That's good info Sarge, thanks. My Lukes Link is on the way, I'm sure you'll hear about my experiences with it.

I have lukes link on my whole front end and I love it so far (1year) no problems plus when they do go bad it is cheap to rebuild them :)

Caleb

Hickey said:
That isn't Daniel's rig. Daniel was just involved in the buildup.

are you sure...I thought that one was his and the black one he farmed out wasn;t his...anyway you look at it he's still a loser:rofl: