The backpacking thread

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Are black bears the ones that like honey?
Those are Pooh Bears.
winnie_the_pooh.jpg

SnwMnkys

Let's talk bear spray. I've never backpacked in bear country, where do you keep it? I knew a guy that carried fishing line with bells on it to hang around his tent, anybody feel that's necessary?

I keep mine in a water bottle pocket on the side of my pack. We talked a bit to a Forest service employee while in Glacier Park. He said in 20 years working in the backcountry hes never had to use his bear spray. He did recommend that you spray the ground in front of the bear or somewhere along the path between you and the bear. A bears face is only a couple feet off the ground when hes walking normally. It will create a cloud that the bear has to go through. More effective than trying to aim a stream while a bear is charging you.

They did a study in Glacier with the Grizzlys and noticed that the bears would keep about a 300 ft radius from hikers that were making noise. Its when you startle or sneak up the bear that things become sketchy. And obviously if you come across their young. Most people up there hike with bells on their packs so when noise is being made even when theyre not talking.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
Bears are never available to chase humans because they're too busy doing this:

[video=youtube;AihvuZiDhsg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AihvuZiDhsg[/video]

Tee

Tanned Fat Looks Better!
When I was hiking out west, a park ranger was explaining how to avoid bear contact by wearing a little bell and carrying pepper spray, and how you could tell what kind of bears were in the area by examining their crap. He said in black bear crap piles you'd most likely see semi-digested berries and maybe bones from small rodents. In the grizzly crap you'd more apt to see little bells and pepper spray canisters.

:D

Unimog, which pand and quilt are you using? I'm in the market for a 20* quilt and I can't decide on what I want. The zpacks bag is very tempting. Do you get sweaty with your body being directly on the pad?

Steve, I'll preface this by stating that I am very tall and skinny and generally sleep cold - so I need extra insulation. The pad is a NeoAir X-Therm and the quilt is an Enlightened Equipment RevX 20 degree tall. I bought the quilt used from a guy on BackpackingLight.com - a site I wholeheartedly recommend if you are into counting grams or ounces. Anyway, I don't get sweaty in cold environments, but I generally sleep with a thin base layer on anyway for comfort. If it is warmer weather - down to 50 degrees or so, I have an old 50 degree slumberjack bag and other less expensive pads that I use.

Like I said, I have tested the quilt out enough to like it, but this will be my first weeklong test.

-Eric

Rock Taco

Bears are never available to chase humans because they're too busy doing this:

[video=youtube;AihvuZiDhsg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AihvuZiDhsg[/video]

And tonight on the main stage we have a special treat for you. We have Brandi, Candi, Paris and Savanna for a all in one show. Your not gonna wanna miss this! get your seat at the tip rail now!!

:D

sixstringsteve

When they rub up against the pole they're marking their territory. Dogs pee on a fire hydrant, and bears rub their backs and heads on a tree. Pretty funny to watch.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

We've been using a Steripen for water treatment in the mountains and I really like it a lot. For the canyons I've been using a filter though - a Sawyer Squeeze - the water in Grand Gulch, for instance, was so stained and had so much stuff floating around in it, I really felt better using a filter there.

Dave, if you could only have one, would you pick the steripen or the Sawyer Squeeze?

DAA

That would be a tough one. I prefer the Steripen, it's just easier. But, I'm not sure I'd be really comfortable relying on it in places where the water is really silty and stained. And the Sawyer has the advantage of no batteries or electronics to crap out. Steripen is basically weatherproof though, while the Sawyer must be protected from freezing.

Put it this way, I'd rather use the Steripen but the Sawyer is simpler and probably more reliable over all.

I'd take the Sawyer but really miss my Steripen. So I guess I'm really glad I can have both :cool:.

- DAA

sixstringsteve

Good info Dave, thanks. If you were to strain murky water through a handkerchief, would that make it clear enough for the steripen?

sixstringsteve

well, I pulled the trigger on a new lightweight tent. Overpriced? Definitely. Awesome sturdy lightweight design? Absolutely!

[video=youtube;W5OLXhnyOoU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5OLXhnyOoU[/video]

Once my RTT sells I will be able to get some nice lightweight down quilts, and lighter sleeping pads.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I take Fender with me every time, but I don't load him up with 200 rounds. :D We're working on adapting his harness into a pack for him that will allow him to carry his own food and water. Maybe it was too new of an experience for your dog. Was this his first time hiking? His first time first time wearing a pack? His first time wearing a HEAVY pack? Do you think it was the pack weight that kept him from wanting to go downhill, or would he have been that way even without a pack? You're smart for taking him on a test hike. I think a few more test hikes should help. Maybe do a few without the pack on, then one with an empty pack, then slowly up the weight in the pack. He probably felt like the weight of the pack was dragging him downhill faster than he'd felt before and it made him nervous. That's my theory at least.

i don't need a rifle when I go camping, I just carry bear spray and a pocket gun if I'm really worried.

I think the key is to take him out more and more until he gets used to it (just like humans). The first few times I took Fender camping, he didn't sleep at all. He stayed alert all night watching all the interesting things around us, and keeping alert to protect us. After about 4 trips or so, he started to get used to the idea of sleeping in a tent, and he would actually put himself to bed a few hours before we did. He did better with tents that block his vision of the outside, otherwise it was stimulus overload.

I've tried sleeping under the stars with him, and he does pretty well, but will still go exploring in the middle of the night. I need to practice this with him more.

I had spent a lot of time walking and running with him with the pack and it only weighs about 5 pounds. He had never been in he mountains other ten on 4 wheeler trails and had done fine on them, the average adult healthy dog is good to pack about 1/3 their body weight. My dog is a very healthy and active red healer that weighs almost 40 pounds so the light weight pack shouldn't have bothered him. I worry about letting him roam in the night and don't like the idea of hooking him to a tree. Maybe I will try letting him sleep in the tent

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
well, I pulled the trigger on a new lightweight tent. Overpriced? Definitely. Awesome sturdy lightweight design? Absolutely!

Once my RTT sells I will be able to get some nice lightweight down quilts, and lighter sleeping pads.

That cuben stuff is awesome. I'm waiting for somebody to figure out how to impregnate it with resin and start making ultralight body panels out of it.

sixstringsteve

I had spent a lot of time walking and running with him with the pack and it only weighs about 5 pounds. He had never been in he mountains other ten on 4 wheeler trails and had done fine on them, the average adult healthy dog is good to pack about 1/3 their body weight. My dog is a very healthy and active red healer that weighs almost 4 pounds so the light weight pack shouldn't have bothered him. I worry about letting him roam in the night and don't like the idea of hooking him to a tree. Maybe I will try letting him sleep in the tent

I love healers. that's really strange that he had a tough time going downhill. Maybe he wanted to stay in the woods instead of going home. :)

kd7kmp

I wish I had time to engage in this kind of activity. I did quite a lot when I was Scoutmaster (I was just released, now I'm Stake Exec. Secretary). I want to take my oldest son on a short backpacking trip this month before school starts. However, I'll be gone for almost two of the middle weeks. We'll see how it goes.

Kevin

sixstringsteve

The main complaints everyone has about the echo ii is the price, and you cant really sit up in it unless youre under 5'8" . I'll report back once I've spend a couple nights in it.

Its a full 3-4 lbs lighter than my current tent. That'll be nice.