The backpacking thread

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I picked up a sweet piece of ultralight gear today. The Go lite selkirk down jacket. It weighs in pretty true to advertised. My XL was 7 ounces. the XXL was 8.2 ounces.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I asked my wife about them and she said she set up the wolf creek 3 tent. She said the quality was good and it was a pretty cool tent. It had a bathtub floor, no see-um mesh top, two doors, two vestibules, etc. She liked it. It is a little to heavy for her, but an all around good tent.

Rock Taco

Thanks I might pick one up for the price. Shows it only weighs 4lbs 7ozs. Is that heavy for a 2 person backpacking tent? I like the 2 doors and vestibules.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Thanks I might pick one up for the price. Shows it only weighs 4lbs 7ozs. Is that heavy for a 2 person backpacking tent? I like the 2 doors and vestibules.

Not "heavy" but too heavy for us. She thinks she will pick up the imogene which is one 1 door and vestibule, but it weighs at 2 lbs 6 oz. We are more picky than most.

The rule of thumb is to keep you big three items (tent, sleeping bag, backpack) under 3 lbs each. That is for lightweight backpacking. It looks like a good quality tent so I don't think you would be unhappy with it. They have one in stock at the Go lite store at traverse mountain if you want to go check it out. 2 doors and vestibules are nice for sure. If the door is on the side then 1 door is a pain because you have to crawl over each other. If the door is on the end then 1 isn't so bad because you can crawl past each other.

sixstringsteve

one of my friends started that site.. Nick is a great guy and there is a TON of good information at backcountry post :)

Very cool. Send him my compliments, it's a great looking site. I look forward to getting to know the community there and hopefully him.

ozzy702

A few pics from one of only three backpacking trips I've been able to take this past year. My youngest brother had some issues so we had to turn back before we finished the route we had planned. I want to head back with a more prepared group next time, beautiful area. I have since learned a lot about packing lighter and have spend some $$$ on getting better gear. Next time I'll probably be carrying around 7lbs less which should help a lot and hopefully I can get into better shape since my legs are weak and my cardio sucks.

IMG_2194_zps162e5a9c.jpg

IMG_2234_zps27eebd78.jpg

IMG_2247_zpsd94fcb54.jpg

IMG_2262_zps473bd19c.jpg

IMG_2285_zps8a7a93a2.jpg

IMG_2305_zps2e9fe8a8.jpg

IMG_2312_zps7b86f3cb.jpg

IMG_2315_zps5adf0df3.jpg

IMG_2323_zps185feac8.jpg

IMG_2326_zpsf29be17d.jpg

IMG_2339_zps7fee9dbe.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
A few pics from one of only three backpacking trips I've been able to take this past year. My youngest brother had some issues so we had to turn back before we finished the route we had planned. I want to head back with a more prepared group next time, beautiful area. I have since learned a lot about packing lighter and have spend some $$$ on getting better gear. Next time I'll probably be carrying around 7lbs less which should help a lot and hopefully I can get into better shape since my legs are weak and my cardio sucks.

Ozzy, those pics are beautiful! Where was this?

ozzy702

Ozzy, those pics are beautiful! Where was this?

The sawtooths in Idaho. It was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. The route we took/planned is a combination of on and off trail. We only saw a handful of people on the trail and then once we left we didn't see anyone for days. The off trail portions really beat up my little brother Daniel and we also learned that he has a fairly extreme fear of heights. My brother Sean and I practically had to drag him up the mountain and at the end of the first full day he basically broke down mentally and physically around 10k feet sitting on a glacier and went into shock.

I really want to go back and have a 2015 trip planned to go back and do the route I had planned. Let me know if you need more information.

sixstringsteve

I'm thinking of purchasing this movie. Has anyone seen it yet?

[video=youtube;6bWiD0YC7s8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bWiD0YC7s8[/video]

[video=youtube;Et7rGIxdThA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et7rGIxdThA[/video]

jentzschman

Perhaps off topic, (maybe better suited for the UL thread, but it not specifically directed for UL) but I had a question about water and winter hiking/backpacking:

What is the best or preferred (maybe efficient is a better term) way to carry water in winter conditions either simply cold temperatures, or in an actual winter storm?
Along similar lines, what is the best or preferred way to collect water when needed in same conditions?

I have always use water bladders when hiking but would like to find a more efficient or preferred way, if one such exists, for winter outings. One reason is I am trying to make a transition into a somewhat UL mindset and methodology.

For single day winter treks, I would venture to say that a bladder is a good option as it allows one to carry most, if not all the water needed for the trip (depending on the duration and conditions of course.)

For longer treks and overnighters, I have thought that a metal bottle might be a good choice as you could melt the snow directly in the bottle if needed. (assuming weight factors are not a high priority)

sixstringsteve

Good question, I'm curious what the others say. My wife has been using a Hydroflask thermos for cold trips lately. It's not UL at all, but it keeps our liquids from freezing. You can also keep a water bottle in your sleeping bag to keep it from freezing.

My Camelbak has been freezing a lot lately, but it's just been in the tube. I need to add my tube insulator and I think I'll be fine. My back keeps my backpack pretty warm, so I doubt it'll freeze in my pack.