The backpacking thread

sixstringsteve

Agreed, it looks almost exactly like my duplex. I'm excited to see it up close to see how the floor attaches to the sides.

I have two different pair of trekking poles, one with the twist to tighten feature, and one with camlocks. I prefer the camlocks, but the twist lock ones aren't bad at all. I have a $75 pair (nonames from rec outlet) and a $160 pair (Black Diamond Carbon Cork), and they're the same exact weight. Aside from the cork grip, I can't tell a difference between the two when I'm using them.

I'd recommend going the cheaper route. I read a review that said the carbon cork was the best out there, and it may be, but it's maybe 15% better for double the price. That being said, I love the black diamonds, and I bought them because the tip on the bottom integrated with my tent better (my hyperlite uses the points upwards, and the black diamonds fit the grommet better than my nonames). When the time comes to replace them, I plan on going with the black diamonds again, but they aren't cheap.

You definitely want adjustable poles, and I recommend getting some with the cam locks, they're a lot more convenient to use. Keep an eye on steepandcheap.com to see if any deals pop up. People were getting carbon cork poles for $75/set back when they were on steepandcheap.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Scott, the more I look at that nemo, the cooler I think it is. I think you made a great choice. It's almost identical in design to my hexamid duplex. Plus you got it at a screaming price. Well done.

ozzy702

Agreed, it looks almost exactly like my duplex. I'm excited to see it up close to see how the floor attaches to the sides.

I have two different pair of trekking poles, one with the twist to tighten feature, and one with camlocks. I prefer the camlocks, but the twist lock ones aren't bad at all. I have a $75 pair (nonames from rec outlet) and a $160 pair (Black Diamond Carbon Cork), and they're the same exact weight. Aside from the cork grip, I can't tell a difference between the two when I'm using them.

I'd recommend going the cheaper route. I read a review that said the carbon cork was the best out there, and it may be, but it's maybe 15% better for double the price. That being said, I love the black diamonds, and I bought them because the tip on the bottom integrated with my tent better (my hyperlite uses the points upwards, and the black diamonds fit the grommet better than my nonames). When the time comes to replace them, I plan on going with the black diamonds again, but they aren't cheap.

You definitely want adjustable poles, and I recommend getting some with the cam locks, they're a lot more convenient to use. Keep an eye on steepandcheap.com to see if any deals pop up. People were getting carbon cork poles for $75/set back when they were on steepandcheap.

Also look on sierra trading post and watch for their 35 and 40% off coupons on facebook. I've seen some really high end trekking poles go for around $60 shipped. I have the Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork Trekking Poles and they are very nice. I also have/use a high end LEKI set I picked up from STP for much less and they are just as good.

DAA

I don't like using trekking poles (gave them an honest try, just not for me), so know next to nothing about them, but I do see some CF ones at Costco for like $30 once in awhile. Pretty cheap and being CF, probably pretty light too. Might be worth keeping an eye out for/having a look at.

- DAA

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I got a couple packages the last 2 days. Backpack, tent and sleeping pad. I grabbed my quilt and threw it all together to see what it weighed...... 8lbs 9oz total cash put out...$725 I think thats a steal for the weight, that being said i think this game is a lot like building a high horsepower engine 500 hp no problem but every hp more you want seems to be like 3 or 4 hundred dollars.. To go lighter then I am now is a lot of money per oz.

I have some cheaper trekking poles for snow shoeing and they work, but I want some better ones. Trekking poles are necessary for snow shoeing and I don't mind them then so I think I will like them hiking.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

not bad!

Check out the author of the ultralight book, Mike Clelland. Nothing in here is uber expensive, yet his pack weight is far below mine. Once you have a light tent, pack, pad, and bag, the rest is cheap.

[video=youtube;vX-erGPyejU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX-erGPyejU[/video]

DAA

Pulled my Quilt out of the stuff bag and cut 4 oz

Bet that felt good :D.

I'm to the point that losing another 4 oz. will cost me some money. Won't be happening this year. Bought a new bag (quilt? - Zpacks...). Will be losing 14 oz. with it compared to my old bag. That's going to be my only gear buy for 2014.

I am not and will never be "ultra light" though. I might, just barely qualify for "light weight". Or, depending how you look at it, I'm just pretty light for a "traditional backpacker". Just value my comfort and my luxuries too much.

Just did the math though and if my new bag weighs what it is supposed to, my pack, tent (with poles), sleeping bag and pad come to 6 lbs 9 oz. Not too bad. If I buy anything next year to try and shave any more weight, it will be a cuben shelter, should be able to get another 8-10 oz. off with that, bring me down to 6 lbs smooth.

It's tempting to try and make a big weight saving grab by going to a really light pack, but my limited experience so far tells me that my 39 oz. ULA Circuit is as light as I really want to go, at my current starting pack weight. I think I'd be miserably uncomfortable trying to use a pack that is very much lighter. Indeed, I'm kind of at an awkward spot, as far as pack weight and comfort. I have an Osprey pack that weighs a whopping five pounds. But, when I put 24 pounds of gear into it, it carries a lot more comfortably than my much lighter ULA does with the same load.

I think as I stand now, my starting pack weight for a 3 night/4 day canyon trip will be about 23 1/2 lbs. Like I said, not ultra light by any stretch, but I'm pretty happy with where I'm at as far as pack weight vs. comfort.

- DAA

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
The last time I weighed a pack, I was 16 years old and getting ready for a 50 miler with my Scout troop. Mine weighed 31 pounds all in, and it was the second lightest. One of the adults had a 40 pound pack - he brought a cast iron skillet.

Sub-20 pounds would have been unheard of.

I bought a Taurus Tracker 357 (titanium frame) with the intention of it being a pack gun, but I've never felt the need to carry it the places I've been and my weight priorities have shifted a little.

ozzy702

I don't like using trekking poles (gave them an honest try, just not for me), so know next to nothing about them, but I do see some CF ones at Costco for like $30 once in awhile. Pretty cheap and being CF, probably pretty light too. Might be worth keeping an eye out for/having a look at.

- DAA

The Costco carbon fiber ones are really nice for the money. Lots of talk about them for guys trying to go cheap. I always used to laugh at guys that used trekking poles and hated them, then I started noticing my knees hurting later in life and sure enough, I love using poles, especially with heavy loads like carrying my son.

I've hiked with poles and without. I'm leaning towards the DAA philosophy. Last year in the tetons, I used them half time and strapped them to the pack the rest of the time. The only time I really like them is crossing a river or places where there is unstable footing. The rest of the time, I don't notice an advantage with them and they drive me nuts when going through brush or stuff. Seems like hanging on to them is just one more thing to do instead of enjoying the hike! Last year, I built a MYOG pair of carbon fiber poles that weigh about 5oz each. Pretty much everyone I hike with loves em, so I think I get it, but I think I have given them an honest chance and I'm still not a fan...